Overly anxious first time grower

Hi guys. So I spent sometime reading about slow growth on other people’s forum post. Everyone that was posting was posting at a month or so so I’m curious if mine is growing to slowly since there has been no measurable difference since the second day she popped up. She popped up on the 9th and as of today, five whole days later, she has not grown or changed at all and serated leaves have not popped out. Is this ok? Saw a picture of a plant the same age as mine and it is noticeably large with well developed leaves. Only measures at three quarters of an inch. She is still a good shade of green no yellow or brown anywhere and the stem looks nice and sturdy. Had her under 18/6 lights, temp always between 74-76 with 50-56% RH and put a really small breeze on her the third day. Only spritzing with ph’ed water. I know there is a lot going on below the surface but just concerned. Growing in 70 coco 30 perlite. Was planning on waiting till the seven day mark to start giving nutrients. Does that sound about right? @MattyBear sorry to bother you again.

2 Likes

@shungitewhap
She really does appear delayed. She has a few deformed leaves, but she just hasn’t made any progress. I have one like this currently, sometimes these things happen. You can kill her and start over, or you can pamper her diva self.
I chose to keep mine, and it is still measuarably behind the others.

1 Like

Darn. I am beginning to get really flustered and irritated because I have run into so many problems. Out of six seeds only one of them has made it out at all but I will not give up! I don’t want to kill it but it’s an auto and I have probably already missed out on a lot of crucial days of veg. I will pamper the wee stunted runt a bit longer but if she doesn’t start pulling her weight it’s off with her head! :cry::rofl: thanks so much @Covertgrower for your reply. This noob appreciates all the help she can get. Looking for a good place to purchase a green thumb if you know of any places :rofl::joy:

4 Likes

Don’t give up on her just yet. My little blueberry auto had a slow start at the beginning and then took off. It was a sad looking seedling. I would give her more time for sure. She may just take off for you.
Here was mine at day 3.

Day 7 seemed to be her turning point.
You’re going to grow just fine

3 Likes

I have 2 up now that look pitiful also (first time for the weeds here) I’m going to leave them alone and see what happens. I’d imagine we both need to be patient. Good luck.

2 Likes

@GreenJewels Thanks for the words of encouragement! I’ll give the girl a shot. At least yours in the photo has 4 leaves lol my serateds are still hiding!
So this morning at 3 a.m I had a horrible dream that all of my plants in my house died ( I have a lot of other plants then then one) So I woke up and thought shit I should go check!
I went down there and nothing had changed except I realized something. I had my timer set to do the six hours of darkness from 1 a.m to 6 a.m. It was 3 and the lights were on!!! This means that the poor things have been blasted with 5 days of 24/7 light! Could this be the problem? I know I have read some people do 24 hours of light but to me it doesn’t seem like this mimics nature. @Covertgrower

1 Like

I do need to be patient you are right. Its really hard for me to be though but I’m trying my best. Thanks for the reply friend :slight_smile: Good luck with yours!!!

1 Like

@shungitewhap at the seedling phase, you can get away with 24/7 light.

1 Like

Darn. Well I have no idea what is going on then. Thanks for reply.

1 Like

Quick questions guys.
I’m working on regoing (yeah not a word) over my whole set up and environment and trying to find what may be the problem. One question about humidifiers. I have in mine distilled water. I was thinking about the fact that when they are in seedling stage they do feed a bit through their leaves. So should I be running 5.5-6 PH water through my humidifier or is distilled fine? Thanks guys!
@MattyBear @Covertgrower

1 Like

Unless your tap water has really low PPMs you will need to run distilled or RO water through it. Otherwise it’ll kill any air filters and leaves dust all over the place.

3 Likes

Ok perfect. It has no filters but I now know the dust issue still applies. Thanks so much for your response I will keep going through the grow guide and forum and checking my other possible noob mistakes. Still no change in my sprout all neither for the worse or better. Still stuck in freeze frame. Should I start giving it nutes ? It’s 7 days old but still very small.

1 Like

Wait for @MattyBear or @Myfriendis410 for when to start feeding in coco. I know you should feed soon, I would bet in about one week. About 200 PPM first. Wait for those guys though @shungitewhap
DoobieNoobie covered on the distilled question.

3 Likes

They say to wait for the colydones to fall off before starting nutes. Any thoughts as to why her seedling does not seem to want to grow? @blackthumbbetty @raustin @DoobieNoobie

Oh, sorry Doob, just saw your above comment :+1::v:

1 Like

I use an amended coco, so I typically start with water only until the runoff drops to about 1000. Pure runoff of the fresh stuff is about 2000. When I start to add nutrients I use 1/4 dosage nutrients, water every 2-3 days, and to significant runoff.

If you are in pure coco, with no added goodies, I would start nuting as soon as the cotylodens start to yellow or brown, which is the point the seedling has used up its seed spouting resources.

1 Like

It doesn’t need food until the cots start yellowing.

It’s only been a week. Give it time. If you’re overwatering, let it dry out a bit. The leaves are still green, so your roots are most likely developing.

I just had one stall out on me for a week. I was ready to toss it, but then decided to wait. It finally started growing a few days ago.

4 Likes

Wait until the cotyledons yellow before any feeding, I start with R/O and mix up about 1/4 strength to somewhere like 300 to 400 ppm for a week then slowly ramp up to full strength (for me that’s around 900 ppm).

3 Likes

Man @shungitewhap sorry to hear all the hardships! I kinda did a quick scroll through the thread…you gotten, what only 2 to tap after soaking??? They’re all ILGM seeds?

Yep they are all ILG seeds. I bought them on sale so I dunno if that makes a difference or not.

2 Likes