Over-trimmed fan leaves, shocked plant into early harvest

Thanks for stopping by, I will attempt to be as accurate as possible.

Plants cloned 7/4/21, transplanted 9/11/21.
Lights 18/6, 10/31/21 lights flipped to 12/12.

Nutrients line stayed the same FF Trio

I am scrogging clones that essentially came from bag seed.

Everything was going as expected, but there was some overdue defoliation that needed to be done.
I just read that you should not defoliate more than 20% at a time. Whelp by the time that trimming was done 60%-70% of the fan leaves were removed.

This happened on thanksgiving weekend about a month ago.

I fist noticed that fan leaves were not coming back so quickly. Now it appears that the cannabis is ripe although the buds are very small.

So I am posting here in the hopes of hearing other opinions. Or especially if you have advice to get my yield to increase.

3 Likes

Other details not intentionally left out…

Time in flower 8 weeks.
Medium: FF Coco Loco

I have grown this stain before. These plants were cloned from the same plants I’ve grown over the last year. Previous time in flower was 12-13 weeks. The pistils on the buds went from appearing, to amber, and with fan leaves dying one plant in particular appears to have run its cycle and may be time for harvest.

I am wondering how the bud will be? It’s just for us so if it’s crap then we will just have to buy more from the dispensary.

Here is a pic from before the deep exfoliation, these plants were thriving.

2 Likes

What’s the stems look like on this plant. Appears to maybe be stem rot as everything looks dead. Are the buds crunchy as they look??? Something appears weird with the stems like the whole right side of this plant

4 Likes

I dont think there is anything you can do for ur plant ,if it was mine i would start again and use that to make oil

3 Likes

Yeah I’am with @Aussie_autos @Mark0427 The one plant is passed return , For whatever reason. I would probably just remove it from the tent. Even though I’m not a big fan of stripping plants. Removing the fan leafs didn’t kill this plant. Good luck moving forward.

7 Likes

I agree with @kellydans i don’t think it was the defoliation that ruined your plants
It’s hard to tell in the picture try to take a picture with a white light or flash and fill out a support ticket so that everyone can help you and you won’t make this mistake again.
Can some one post support ticket please.

4 Likes

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto)
-Age of plant
-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
-Vessels: Type and capacity of container (fabric, plastic, etc)
-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
-Method used to measure PH and TDS
-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space
-Light system List brand and wattage/spectrum
-Actual wattage draw of lights
-Current Light Schedule
-Temps; Day, Night
-Humidity; Day, Night
-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
-Co2; Yes, No

If growing Hydro some additional questions:

-DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other?
-Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)
-Temperature of reservoir
-TDS of nutrient solution
-Amount of air to solution

1 Like

@Mark0427, the buds were not so crunchy at first. Although, more appears to be getting crunchy day by day. I will look into stem rot. If it is rotting I would not want to smoke anyway.

@Sincitytoker, during the defoliation I know some of the plants were moved while weaved through the netting. I suspect that they may have been moved too much and possibly some damage was done to the roots. I will look into the support ticket.

1 Like

@StonedCold13

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto) - Photo - Bag Seed - Strain Strawberry Cough
-Age of plant - Cloned 7/4/21, Transplanted 9/11/21, Flipped lights from 18/6 to 12/12 10/31/21, 8 weeks in Flower
-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF - Coco Loco
-Vessels: Type and capacity of container (fabric, plastic, etc) - Cloth Pots - 5 gallon
-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) - PH 5.8-6.2
-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable - Have not measured
-Method used to measure PH and TDS - Digital meter
-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space - Indoor 4x4
-Light system List brand and wattage/spectrum - Mars Hydro TS 3000
-Actual wattage draw of lights - 450
-Current Light Schedule 12/12
-Temps; Day, Night - 70-80
-Humidity; Day, Night 455-50%
-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size Yes, 6" Exhaust with Carbon filter
-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, Yes, Small AC to keep cool, Humidifier
-Co2; Yes, No - No

1 Like

Just look at the stems that have the brown look to them. Follow the stem to the main and see if it is broke loose from there if not I’d guess a pillar ate thru the stem somewhere

1 Like

I’m leaning more toward like a massive nute burn or lock out which killed them get to or distilled water and get it PhD with some calmag. Put enough calmag in to get to about 200ppm then pH it water the piss out of them slowly like half gallon or so then wait 10 mins half gallon again and wait repeat til u get about 20 percent runoff so if it takes 4 gallons to get runoff u want 1 gallon in or close in runoff. That’s excessive but just a idea lol. Most will take gallon or so 2 at most which would be about quarter to half gallon runoff. Grab some runoff that drips from pot into a shallow bowl then check the runoff. I bet the. Umbers r shy high on ya and locked out. Always let some runoff drip off the bag before u collect any and try and get some drips not what’s gathered at bottom of drip tray if that makes sense

3 Likes

@Mark0427 I will try that tomorrow. I cut off most of the dead looking areas today. I don’t expect that even if the plant recovers that any dead leaves will not rejuvenate. I will trim them off if the plant recovers. I do have a PPM meter I will check the numbers tomorrow. Also over the time period I started adding Cha-Ching even though given according to schedule I have heard others that use FF products say they use them at half strength. I did also notice that my water source has seemed to change I have a carbon water filter system and my ph from tap used to be 7.8-8. Now I’m at 8.8-9. I water from a PH’ed reservoir but I only check my PH when adding water. I have heard of others talking about PH drift. Well I checked and reservoir was last filled 12 days ago and PH was 5.94 so that does not appear to be the issue. My range of safe PH is 5.8-6.2.

@MoFo My first grow with FF nutes, my issues were:

Upon flowering I added the FF trio as directed on the FF soil nutrients schedule. The first of the trio especially should be started at 1/8 of their listed dosage per gallon (1/8 of a 1/4tsp) then slowly get to the 1/4 tsp. You will get nute burn otherwise.

Also… If you use the FF Sledgehammer… Which you’ll see even on this forum is very confusing on how to use it correctly.
I have since stopped using it… But was told by the FF rep to use as directed (tsps/gallons thingy) run enough to get 20% runoff… Then very importantly… Let the soil dry out… Then return to nutrients watering schedule.

The stuff has an ingredient that breaks surface tension and if it doesn’t dry sufficiently you will be chasing nutrient deficiencies to no end until harvest.

Now I just flush with RO water.

2 Likes

I just bought an RO Buddie so I will try and flush with that to see if that clears things up.

1 Like

@Mark0427 @Fiefie
So I do not have RO Water yet but I watered to run off on 3 separate times.

My measurements are all over the place.

Plant 2 was the only plant to decrease in measurements after 3rd flush.

Measurement 1

Plant 1 - 1912

Plant 2 - 2949

Plant 3 - 1847

Plant 4 - 2185

Measurement 2

Plant 1 - 3221

Plant 2 - 1574

Plant 3 - 3022

Plant 4 - 2813

Measurement 3

Plant 1 - 2365

Plant 2 - 1200

Plant 3 - 2166

Plant 4 - 1761

While in the tent I noticed a sluggish snot like fluid that came out of the end of my water lines. So I know my watering has been decreased at minimum. I hand feed nutrients with a watering can.

Which lead to the conclusions people have come up with here.

My water has changed, I’m on well water.
My plants watering has decreased.
My nutrients have stayed the same.

I have less water to dilute nutrient’s, so this likely caused nute burn.

I am hoping this will bring the ladies back and keep pushing out some nice buds.

1 Like

Well slime coming out is not good. Somewhere it sounds like nutrients bonded with each other. What’s ur order of mixing nutes as in chill bucket mix in pt a wait a few.add pt b wait a few. Ect. If u use silica or calmag they r added before the main nutes r added or the calmag or silica will bond with the other nutes. Might be what happened here and had a lockout from certain nutes. Lines should be cleaned with every rez change also to avoid this issue

2 Likes

@Mark0427
I am using the reservoir just for PH’ed water.

I am planning to move to Jack’s where I will keep the nutes in the reservoir and keep them mixed up with a wave machine.

I will plan to use silica with Jacks so it sounds like I need to do some research on order of operations.

How do you mix your nutes?

2 Likes

If I use silica silica first then calmag if u use it then jacks or a then epsoms then any additive like fulvic big bud bud candy molasses ect after the epsom. Part b is always last added. If no silica or calmag start with a then epsoms the b

2 Likes