Outdoor sun and moving plants

This is my first grow and I have 4 little seedlings that I want to grow outside. They are 3 GLs and 1 WW. I have a lot of trees around my place (big place out in the country) and there are no places in my yard that get more than 6 hours of sun at one time. I bought a big utility cart that will hold all 4 plants. I planned on being able to move the plants around so that they can receive 9 hours of sun. I don’t have to move them very far and only 2 times a day to achieve this. Now I have been told by a friend that moving them will put them in shock and cause them to turn into males. Also, that they can’t be turned and must face the same direction at all times. Is this true?

Can someone please help me with this? Thanks!

I’m​ interested in this answer, too. I’ve been hauling my plants around inside, outside, sun, shade, and not on a gentle cart. Just lugging them by the handles. It would suuuuuuuuuck if that stressed them to turn.

I’ve seen a few other growers moving plants around, but I haven’t seen any guidelines or limitations or recommendations about how to do it.

No I don’t think any of those claims are true… If you can try and find a spot that gets more then 9 hours … An if your using black pots paint them white so they dont bake in the sun. Make sure your plants are hardy before you put them in the direct sun if their seedlings

What you want is the first light of the day…
So you want direct sun light from first light till about 1 o clock in the afternoon and then you want shaded light after that when it comes to out doors. …
You want first light to burn off the dew so you don’t get mildew and you want shaded light after about 1: 00 so they don’t stress out… :wink:
Good luck my fellow cultivators… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I move my plants daily inside, outside, sunny spot to sunny spot, rotating for even coverage and nothing hermi yet.

2 Likes

This is exactly how I planted mine, the afternoon mountain sun is pretty strong blast so I have them in shade by 1- 2 pm
They getting sun from 7 am, the sunrise here is breathtaking…

1 Like

That’s good to know, Lia, thanks. I’ve been moving my little ones around that way and I knew when I got them in their forever homes, I wouldn’t be able to lug them around like that because I have a bad back. When I saw the utility cart in Lowe’s, I thought that would be perfect and it will hold all 4 of them. Of course, once I have them in the big planters, they will be outside all the time. I’ve just been bringing them in of an evening and putting them under a grow light at night. I’ve not seen any guidelines either. I hope yours are not being stressed, that really would suck. Happy growing to you!

That is so good to know, Myfriend, I feel much better after these answers and this forum is awesome.
@Ragnar I live in the south and it gets really hot here in the summer. So I better consider putting mine in the shade after 1-2 o’clock in the afternoon like @peachfuzz said to do. Thank you all and happy growing to everyone. I am sure I will have more questions. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, Dr. DankThumb. There is no way I could find a spot that gets more than 9 hours of sun, that’s why I wanted to be able to move them a couple of times a day so that they can get all the sun they need. I have already been putting my seedlings out in the sun and they are really small as they are only a few days old. I hope I haven’t been doing them harm. I have been bringing them in of an evening and putting them under a grow light for the rest of the night. I have seen on the forums here, that you should wait until they have 5 sets of leaves before putting them in their forever home. I will be using the soft fabric bags when I replant them and of course, they are black. Should I put a white sheet or something around them? Thank you so much for your help.

1 Like

So what i understand is most people want 6 or 7 hours of direct sunlight in the morning. And the rest of the day in broken sunshine the rest of the day.
Just asking new grower.

That’s the way it looks, Hunter, I’m anxious to know what other growers are doing to make sure their plants get the sun they need but not to burn them up. there is so much to learn to be a successful grower. I am so overwhelmed by everything I need to know that I even dream about it in my sleep. I am consumed… lol!!

1 Like

Yes. Just waiting for mine to get big enough to transplant in the ground.

Yeah I know, growing become passion really quick…
When it comes to light or sun, you gotta understand than even on cloudy day the light is more intense than any artificial light…
6-8 hours of direct sun is fine, they will love it !

4 Likes

Here are my baby girls and the cart. @Dr.DankThumb420, do you think my seedlings are too small to be out in the sun? Thanks, for your help.

Dumb newby here, I have reached my limit on comments for 12 hours so all I can do is edit my other comments. @Ragnar Yes, it’s definitely a passion, and I might even be obsessed… lol! Thanks for that lighting tip, I’m learning… I think. It did freak me out when my friend told me that if I move them around in the cart that they might go male on me. And I know I have seen where they turn them in greenhouses, but he said they should always face the same direction. I have been turning my little ones when they start leaning towards the light and it straightens them up right away. I have been growing flowers for years and turning the containers is a recommended way to keep them from all going toward one side (the sun or light).
@Countryboyjvd1971 Thanks, for that, so knowing you have been doing that same thing with no problems is a relief for me. Happy growing to you.
@peachfuzz I will keep that in mind and will try to be careful not to give them too much sun that could stress them. Thank you![quote=“Lia, post:17, topic:10789”]
Not ideal, but it might be the best I can do if I want them out of Containers and in the ground. :thinking:
[/quote]

Why not just keep them in containers @Lia? I couldn’t risk putting mine in the ground because I need to hide them in the barn when my yard guys come for a few hours about every 3 weeks. Growing is not legal in my state. :angry:

3 Likes

I would keep doing what your doing…
And I wouldn’t worry about them stressing and turning hermi… that’s highly unlikely…
My reason for shaded light after 1 o clock is because sometimes the sun is to strong for the plants to be directly out in it all day and can actually be counter productive… :wink:

2 Likes

I can say for a fact moving them as you are will not cause them to hermi
I had mine set up in a trailer I would tow around with my lawn tractor for one of my grows plant was fine
It becomes time consuming but if you have it and your willing you’ll be fine
The others have given you some great advice as well
Happy growing @Lornakins

1 Like

This is very helpful – it never occurred to me that morning sun is better than afternoon sun, but that makes sense.

Unfortunately, all my morning sun spots also get hard core street light at night. As I understand it, full dark at night is necessary for flower, so… They’d have partial sun until about 10am, then full sun until sunset, then be shaded from the street lights overnight. Not ideal, but it might be the best I can do if I want them out of Containers and in the ground. :thinking:

The reason that you want first light right when the sun comes up is to dry the dew off of your plants… not a big deal in veg but mid to late flower will be nothing but problems and I would hate to see you loose any of your hard work to bud rot or mildew…
As for the street lights… hard to say if it will affect anything… :thinking: do you own a bb gun …:smiling_imp::grin::wink:
@Lia

1 Like

They should be fine, just dont let them dry out too much… Look like you are doing good keep up the good work

1 Like

@Lornakins; what @Ragnar said before I could is valid. Two things to remember: young plants won’t like full sun all day and even big mature plants like dappled shade. Point two, which Ragnar made is that indoor lights will almost never reach the level that full sun gets. More like a cloudy day (think “rainy”). Seriously. I read somewhere that full summer sun is something like 200 watts PER SQUARE FOOT! That’s a lot of light.

2 Likes