Outdoor plant flowering early. Any ideas why?

Hi folks. I have 2 plants (of 12 total) that have decided to flower early. Here in Los Angeles, I’m at 14.09 hours of sunlight, well over 12 hours. The plant is huge, 4’ or better. White widow (non auto). But why is is starting to flower? Any ideas @Donaldj @Majiktoker @bob31. Pics attached. Thanks in advance!

11 Likes

A fully mature plant can start to flower with anything under 15hr’s if light isn’t intense enough and if it is sunrise to sunset you are talking about don’t panic she will still get bigger during flower

5 Likes

Thanks @Donaldj, just one more question. My neighbor has an automatic light outside that turns on once in a while during their dark period. Would that be enough to contaminate the 12/12 light period and revert them back to veg, once they start to flower? It’s not direct light, but it brightens up my yard a bit.

I had one plant that done this last year and I was a rookie and left it under a street light and it screwed it up big time and I didn’t harvest until November.

1 Like

Be happy, she is on her way to finish. Plenty of time for Bud growing :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@ericscheel no light needs to be fairly intense and or longer than few minutes at a time

In your case street lights fit 2 catagories one being they are either MH or HPS usually 1000w and right spectrum to disrupt secondly they are on entire dark period

3 Likes

The street light messed it up for sure. I was trying to babysit her 24/7 and actually read about street lights on here. I set them free this year and all is good so far.

3 Likes

Look at it this way: Flowering early means you’ll have bud earlier! :sunny:

4 Likes

Thank you. Very helpful as always @Donaldj

1 Like

What a bummer! @EarlyPearl It’s definitely been a learning curve for me too. I started the plants in crappy soil and they didn’t grow past 5" for at least 4 weeks. Then, I transplanted them into FF HF. After that they took off and now some are over 4’.

1 Like

That’s the best part @arpeggio Haha!

Should’ve grabbed a .22 and shot that light out for messing with your girl. Lol​:+1::+1:

2 Likes

Looking great!

1 Like

The few plants I’ve grown outdoors over the years have all started flowering when daylight fell to 14 hours or a little more. I have some out this year, most of them in preflower right now. I expect them to be flowering by early August.

2 Likes

Thanks @PhantomFarmer. That’s exactly where I’m at now…about 14 hours of light plus a few minutes. How do I know when I’m actually in “flower” vs preflower?
You guys still give veg nutes in preflower or move to bloom?
I’m using FF trio plus microbe brew. Growing in OF.

I would go with grow fertilizer - more N than P or around same amount of each- and go more P in a few weeks…not sure which thread this came from here…

I use bat :bat: guano and seabird guano, one with equal N and P, and another just high P.

I never thought much about where preflower ends and flowering begins. I’m not the most sophisticated grower compared to most here. At some point I just switch to a more appropriate fertilizer. For thousands of years these plants have grown wild without anyone catering to their every need. I try not to over complicate it.

2 Likes

Thanks @Big123 I’ll

keep em on grow for a week or 2.

2 Likes

That seems to be the best approach @PhantomFarmer
Thanks.

Hours and minutes don’t really mean much to the ladies! “12 hours” is a somewhat artificial number, I think. When you’re growing indoors, you reduce the light that you give the ladies to 12 hours to induce flowering. But when they’re growing outdoors, every individual plant has a different threshold; and as the days shorten – flowering will start at different times for different individuals. Of my 6, one has been in flower for 7 weeks and I’ll harvest soon. Another went into flower a couple of days ago, and I believe the rest are close behind.

5 Likes