Outdoor inground Timing and color questions

I do not own a loupe but a decent camera on my old S6.
My guess is about week 3? I dont really know a pistol from a trichome just see different colored hairs and some crystals. She’s nearing 6’ high and every bit of 6’ wide I collect rain water and have used monster bloom and Mole asses for 2 weeks now.
Can someone point out what I should look for in this pic? Thanks first grow but I’ve been gardening for about 30 years

You’re going to need magnification. At least 30x. A jeweler’s loupe or digital microscope will work.

You need to be able to see these little guys, when you get closer to harvest.

WIN_20200820_05_38_52_Pro

1 Like

@UncleCharley-
The slightly whitish/brown hairs in the center are the pistils. You cant really tell in this picture, but it looks like this plant is just starting to flower. Are there any buds yet? The “crystals” you refer to are the tricomes, and you really need magnification to see them better. At first they will look like tiny, skinny mushrooms, with long stalks. They will be clear at first, and gradually they will turn cloudy. When they are all cloudy your plant is at peak thc levels. If the plant is not harvested the tricomes will start to turn amber. The effects of the plant will change when they are mostly amber. Hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Will these be on the sugar leaves?

Yes, but you really need to examine the trichs from flower to determine maturity.

3 Likes

yes, they will be on the leaves under the buds and on the buds themselves.

Sugar leaves and calyxes (buds). You want to check ripeness on a calyx though, not a sugar leaf, because trichomes on sugar leaves ripen faster.

You have several weeks left before you’ll need to check though.

1 Like

Yes I guess there’s no getting around the purchase of the loupe. My money is very tight.
Thanks this points me in the right direction. BTW The stems of the plant are beefing up w/buds I am very excited this thing is huge.

2 Likes

My estimate is around Oct 10? she has a 8-10 week flower Just hope we dont drop below 40 I’m guessing that’s the danger zone w/inground?

2 Likes

I am still a newer grower, but you can really bet on advice from @AloysiusDevadanderAbercrombie. And if you read some other posts you will be able to find who you want to get advice from. @Hellraiser, @MrPeat, and @Cannabian are three that know more than me for sure.

3 Likes

My brother has fruit trees and he covers them with blankets when it rarely gets really cold around here. Maybe something you could look into if a cold front comes your way.

I’m definitely still learning myself, but I’ve done a lot of reading and research and gotten lots of good info from people on this forum.

@Cannabian grows outdoors in Canada. He could probably help you on the temp question.

I hope we have an Indian summer and not fret it. But I will use something if provoked. Just need it to be a little inconspicuous. Maybe a blanket and a camo tarp.

If you can get clear and or dark bags big enough, put it on the plant before sunset. This will help hold some heat over night.

1 Like

Cannabis is tougher than you think, they can handle a cool night just need to get it in before the first Frost.

2 Likes

I think you got about 4-5 weeks til harvest, hope that happens before the freezing nights.

Thanks I hope you’re right

1 Like

So would say my inground plants here near Chicago will be as hardy as say, my pepper plants when it comes to frost? Some say below 40 is real bad?

Hard to say, some strains are more tolerant to cold than others but none of them like it in the 40’s, would have to harvest once those cold nights hit.

1 Like

heck if that were the case, Id never harvest a crop! We regularly go below 32 American here near harvest season. Usually gets minus 2 to minus 5 c here at night and warms up during the day. Plants that are hearty can easily tolerate that if they are covered so frost doesnt land on them.

1 Like