Outdoor guerilla grow in the Alaskan Bush: the 3 Stooges

@dbrn32, I honestly don’t know. It was on one of my wish lists from awhile ago. I probably liked the purty colors or something. :smiley: or I thought that clamp thingy (technical term) meant easier installation?

I think I’ll just go for a killawatt. Though, for my next qb, I’ll go ahead & install something like you posted. I do still plan on building my own lights from the kit on HLG, though. I should be ordering my light any day now.

2 Likes

Haha no problem! I look at it from simplicity aspect. The one I linked does same thing but doesn’t need the current transformer. Less I have to do and less that can go wrong, but they all do the same job. I would agree for cost of killawatt it’s a plug and play solution.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 So, the clampy thingy (again, sorry for using such technical language) actually meant extra work? Or is the clampy thingy the same thing as the round thingy in the one you recommended?

1 Like

I’m not sure which round thingy you’re referring to in the one I linked? In the pic above? That may be the speed controller for my fan.

1 Like

@dbrn32 the black/copper ring/wire assembly that comes with the meter. Maybe it’s called a “current shunt”?

1 Like

It’s not an external accessory on the one I linked. Already installed inside of meter.

@dbrn32 Sorry! I’m a pothead! I was thinking about another one: bayite AC 80-260V 100A BAYITE-PZEM-061 LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with Current Transformer CT
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YY1KOHA?tag=greenrel-20

Is that ring thing the same as the clamp thing? What do those things do? The one on yours is inside the meter? Sorry for asking silly questions.

1 Like

Assuming you’re not looking for electron theory lesson? Measuring current can’t be done in parallel with a circuit like measuring voltage is. Even with my extra fancy very expensive multimeter I use at work, it requires a different portion of the meter be used and the leads connected in series, or to have the wire you’re measuring pass through a current transformer. Same goes for my $400ish meter I have at home and the $20 one you could buy at harbor freight.

Yes the meter I use is the exact one I linked, came copied from my purchase log. It comes installed so you don’t have to worry about it. You hook your line and load wires up to the terminals pointed out in diagram and that’s it.

1 Like

The round thing & the clamp thingy do that w/o having access to stripped wire? It’s like magic!

Sorry for my ignorance, but that really is nifty.

1 Like

Yes. They’re not uncommon, works kinda like this guy.

2 Likes

Magic!

Do you still need to use the prongs on that, or could you just clip it on?

1 Like

You need the leads to check voltage, but if I clamp around wire it will read current. Same as your meter would work. The part that goes around wire is just for current measuring. There would still be wires connected to the meter to measure voltage. Then they take the voltage multiplied by the current to find power, or watts in this case.

1 Like

Does anyone else have issues with humidity spiking during the dark cycle? Will this cause problems during flowering even though during day cycle humidity stays at an acceptable level?

1 Like

I had the same question from my last indoor grow, and was told it’s normal, to a point, & the humidity isn’t actually higher, it’s just that colder air does not hold moisture the same as warm air. Here’s a little blurb from the internet:

colder air holds less moisture.* The 100% saturation threshold at freezing temperatures is MUCH lower than that of a hot summer afternoon. It should be easy to see then, that when night falls and temperatures drop, the actual total water content of the air might not change, but, because the air gets colder, the relative humidity goes up!

You still want to keep your humidity during bloom low, though, if possible.

3 Likes

Another question. When I get my 4in intake, it will run through the night cycle right? If so, don’t I need to open bottom vents? I’m worried about light leaks if I have to open them.

1 Like

If my intake vents were closed to prevent light leaks, I’d run mine all night, for sure.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

You can build light traps for your fans and/or vents too.

3 Likes

Thanks I look into that. not sure how to build one but I’m sure there’s info somewhere.

2 Likes

Honestly, that’s why I’ve decided to focus on autos: I cannot guarantee my plants solid dark. Most of my worry used to be about light getting into my grow room, and then into my tents. Not anymore.

2 Likes