Outdoor Grower TRYING Indoor Winter Grow 2019

The 2019 season ended in a shambles but I did end up with enough smokes to easily last the winter.

2020 started badly with a rat infestation, power cuts and wet weather.

At one stage, I thought my winter grow was going to be a complete failure.

Desperation sometimes leads to inspiration and one small victory can lead to a new plan and a way forward.

This is my single White Widow seed that survived the Jan 1st rat ravaged germination. I topped in late Feb and took a clone from the topping and this flourished and it has produced 2 more clones in March.

The Jan WW light schedule changed to 12/12 yesterday and I expect to be harvested, dried and cured by the end of June.

My plan is to flip lights on the topped clone in mid-May and start a 6-week harvesting schedule.

Stay well and stay lucky.

Jack

1 Like

My White Window has completed the two weeks 12/12 light transition and the growth spurt has already started. I’m going to start counting the 8-week flowering period from today.

I’ve got an ATA Tundra male plant and a very strong second female clone from the WW.

I plan to do a mid-season seed grow and only have the pollen drop occur while the rest of my plants are either drying/curing or in veg.

The rest of my plants will start the light transition before the end of July. I aim to harvest no later than the end of September.

I’m going to use light depredation techniques combined with grow lights.

This is my new light depredation tent.

It’s made out of scrap material and seems solid enough to last a few seasons.

Stay safe and stay lucky.

2 Likes

Update - Week One of Flowering.

I continue to use 12/12 lighting with an electricity-saving schedule.

8 am - On
11 am - Open south-facing tent wall to full sun/daylight and switch LEDs off
7 pm - LEDs on and close tent
8 pm - Off

The schedule works for me. Oddly the plant seems to respond well to the regular light source switching routine.

The White Widow’s first clone is growing strongly in my improvised light deprivation hooped tent.

I’ll have to prune the top and sides at some stage but for now, I’ll let her do her thing.

The midseason seed-grow plants are growing well and have another four weeks of veg before the 12/12 light transition starts.

Stay well, stay lucky and keep up with the herd.

1 Like

Man that is a crazy system you got! Loving it. Take care and be safe.

1 Like

LOL, it’s the crazy system that worked last year. With the addition of this year’s “ribbed tube”(for MY pleasure), it just might work better.

1 Like

Update

The original White Widow has now completed two weeks of light transition and four weeks of flower. The stretch is coming to an end. The buds will begin to fatten up over the final four or five weeks. The harvest date is estimated on 26th June.

My seed growing project started on the 5th May with last year’s JamcoNI (10/12 flowering period) starting on my (crazy) 12/12 lighting with an electricity-saving schedule.

This year’s White Widow clone started the electricity-saving schedule on the 15th May .

My ATA Tundra (MALE) started the same schedule 22nd May and has an expected pollen drop around 1st July to 10th July.

Have I got “Growers Jitters?”

NO.

After all, what could possible go wrong?

O’whee

noun
plural noun: jitters

feelings of extreme nervousness.
“a bout of the jitters”
Similar:
nervousness
nerves
fit of nerves
edginess
uneasiness
anxiety
anxiousness
tension
agitation
fretfulness
restlessness
fidgeting
trembling
shaking
jumpiness
stage fright
buck fever
butterflies (in one’s stomach)
the willies
collywobbles
the heebie-jeebies
the shakes
the DTs
the jumps
the yips
jitteriness
the jim-jams
twitchiness
Stay well, stay lucky and keep up with the herd.

1 Like
1 Like

My efforts so far building an Improvised Light-Dep Tent.

Tomorrow, I plan to cover the back and the far side with a reflective sheet and the front and near side with a tarp.

I have yet to work out how to make the tarp sides roll up to allow sunlight in during 11 am and 7 pm period and then complete darkness the rest of the time.

It will be an interesting combat engineering problem to overcome.

The other improvised tents with LED lightings are doing well.

Small Tent

This is my very first tent and it has produced some very tasty buds over the years. I completely revamp the mouldy baby’s playpen and started a White Widow clone using Kratky + bubblers method. I put her on a 10/14 light schedule about a week ago. I’m controlling the height by gently bend and snapping the tops. I should see the first flowers next week.

Big Tent

Growing, no real problems.

I fecked-up when it came to flowering…

I ass-zoomed the lights would come on and off on a 12/12 schedule and then proceeded to wait 8 fecking weeks for the plant to flower.

My normal day starts with opening the tent at 11 am and switch the light off and on again at 7 pm and shutting the tent, I get free sunlight during peak hours. I expected the lights to be on from 8 am and shut off at 8 pm because that’s what plug timers do.

That’s good.

Except the timer was set to be always on.

Effectively giving the plant 24 hours of light.

8 fecking weeks of valuable time.

The plant’s fine and now at the end of light transition and has already started flowering.

Sometimes, I can’t see the wood from the trees.

Be happy and try to be smart… wear a mask in public.

O’whee

Tube Tent

This hooped frame tent is working well.

The light comes on at 9 am and I roll up the sides at 11 am and switch off the light. At 7 pm the sides are rolled down and at 8 pm it’s lights out. Just completed the first week of light transition

A-frame Tent

I’m using this tent for my seed project. The ATA Tundra pollen drop started 12th June after just 3 weeks of flower and that’s very fast. I made sure every bud site was well pollinated and then cut down the males and washed everything down with plain water.

I think the seed will begin to drop around 13th July.

That’s the update for all tents.

Stay lucky and keep up with the herd.

O’whee

1 Like

The Light-Dep Tent is finished and the plants transferred.

I had to use two layers of black weed membrane to get a full blackout cover. The tent might not look pretty but it has a strong frame, blackout options and all-round ventilation.

Best of all it cost me nothing.

The two short plants are an Indica Afghani landrace(?) strain called Omar Sharif. They were a free gift from my last seed order. It will be interesting to see how they flower.

The big plant is my own strain JamcoNI and I’m hoping for a bumper crop.

My back-up clones and Virginia Gold tobacco plants growing steadily.

Yep, I’m doing the Perfect Spliff Project again this year. (:smile:

Stay lucky…

O’whee

2 Likes

2 weeks of light transition and 3 weeks of flower. Starting to see the first signs of mature seeds week 7.

2 Likes

Encouraging signs that the seed pods are starting to split open.

If this was a female non-pollinated plant at the end of week 7 flowering, it would be ready for very early harvesting. This is very good news as the advertised flowering time of 8 weeks can be relied on.

I’ll leave my seeds to develop at their own speed and just collect the ones that pop open.

Happy day’s

2 Likes

days

Outside the editing time

2 Likes

@KeystoneCops

Hello;

I’ve read many of your posts across a wide range of subjects.

You are knowledgeable and a source to trust.

1 Like

Thank you, but you’re too kind. I sometimes make mistakes, or misunderstand things as they’re explained to me. I just try to read knowledgeable people who support their assertions with data or references. I can’t take credit for the science though. I’m just a sponge.

2 Likes

Your hoop house work is really a pleasure to follow as well. I love seeing people use regenerative permaculture practices. I also like that you’re making your own seeds. This is something too few people do (intentionally).

1 Like

A sponge that absorbs data and leaks only the most relevant. Yes, the hooped tent was born out of desperation and a shortage of building materials. However, the light dep tent may be the way forward as a low-cost way of combining indoor/outdoor techniques. F1 seeds take a lot of time to develop into a stable strain.

1 Like

I know. Every year that I’m not growing has me lament the projects that could have been. We have zero legal protections in my state, and there’s no momentum towards home-cultivation. It’s complicated, and not worth getting into. At least I have my medical card.

1 Like

In the north of Ireland, there are always a chance the grow might be hijacked. That’s why I don’t buy or sell.

I am fascinated by the plant.

ATA Tundra x White Widow could be the solution to my damp, high humidity and general unsuitable climate.

1 Like

Do you get mold/fungus/bud rot?

1 Like