Outdoor Grower TRYING Indoor Winter Grow 2019

Thank you for your advice. This is my first attempt at growing tobacco and I hope to collect seeds from the flower buds for next year’s grow.

1 Like

Update

October, September and November were bad months for me health-wise, and I let things slip.

I did manage to cull the males from my polytunnel grow and just left them to grow. As expected, the buds never increased in size beyond pop-corn size and mildew set in during November. Overcast skies and high humidity coupled with cold temperatures proved too much for the KumoaniNI and JamkoNI.

Next year I plan to do another seed grow using an early strain of Indica and cross with KumoaniNI and JamkoNI female clones. My dream of breeding an outdoor strain that can withstand the climate of the North of Ireland could become a reality in 2020.

I harvested my hydroponically grown JamkoNI today. The buds smell strong and a few of them were
quiet big.

Jamaican Pearl clones going into 4th week of flower.

I’m going to use the modified dehydrator and Boveda bags in glass jars for the dry & cure. Exactly the same as the last time.

In my small grow tent, I’ve got a Jamaican Pearl that’s in week 10 or flower and should be ready to harvest just before Christmas.

My clone tent is producing some outstanding plants. When a clone gets too big for the tent, I move it into one of the flowering tents, after taking some cuttings to maintain the continuous flowering cycle. This means I’ll always be 3 or 4 weeks between harvests.

Happy days @James68

3 Likes

This is really cool and I’m gonna continue watching.

1 Like

Hiya Mr Jack,

glad to see you back on the poop deck and I hope you are well .

Big Bummer about our shite weather nailing your gal’s .

People over here are getting their tits-in-a-tangle over ground source heat pumps and govt. grants. I’m checking out the mechanics of this system and maybe attempt a Heath Robinson version although I am observing a constant heat source coming from my compost. This is fun !

Via Con Dios Amigo

Jim

1 Like

I bought my landrace seeds from seedsman - Kumaoni-regular-seeds on the understanding they would be a cold-hardy, mould/mildew & bug resistant pure Sativa.

To my mind (at that time), these seeds would be ideal for growing in the North of Ireland 54.5977° N with maximum daylight hours of 17.15hrs and minimum 7.15hrs.

However, the seeds turned out to be original and had come from Uttarakhand, Northern India 30.0668° N with maximum daylight hours of 14.05hrs and minimum 10.11hrs.

My first seed breeding grow was carried out in a small tent and used a combination of natural light and a 300 watt LED. I used 18/6 lights for veg and a staggered light schedule of 1 week at 14/10, 1 week at 13/11, 6 weeks at 12/12 and 6 weeks at 10/12.

With the luck-of-the-Irish, the light schedule worked and I got a few hundred Kumaoni seeds along with hundreds of Kumaoni - Jamaican Pearl cross seeds.

Subsequent indoor grows under lights have produced satisfactory yields and smokes.

In June/July, I tested both sets of seeds by germinating and planting 15 of each strain in my polytunnel under natural daylight only.

Explosive veg growth started almost immediately and continued until about the second week of September when the first signs of flowering started to show.

I knew that my experiment was going to fail.

The original seeds were not acclimatised to the daylight hours and extreme climate conditions of winter in the North of Ireland.

By late November the plants had only managed to produce some scraggly buds and mildew/bud rot had set in, the whole lot had to be chucked.

I started 2019 in very poor shape. No smokes and very little chance of growing anything worthwhile.

I start 2020 in much better shape. 3 months of smokes and a 4-week continuous harvest schedule along with hundreds of seeds.

I’m developing a cunning plan to beat the mildew and rot by crossing early hardy landrace Indica with my current plants.

Plan it, practice it, pucking do it…

Good luck

Outline Research and Planning for 2020

Reality Check

KumoaniNI seeds are going to take a long time to acclimatise to my latitude and persistent overcast skies. I’ll keep the few hundred seeds from my breeding grow 2019, but I will no longer grow them.

My current Jamaican Pearl clones will grow out to harvest. I will stop cultivating/cloning this plant in 2020.

JamkoNI (Kumaoni - Jamaican Pearl cross seeds) is worth persevering with. Early Pearl is part of the genetics and JamkoNI has produced some big dense buds. I’m going to use this plant in 2020. I have a few hundred good quality seeds and will start new breeding grow with the aim of back-crossing the Sativa strain and generating a new cross with Ata Tundra.

<>Ata Tundra is a pure Indica F1 hybrid strain from Alaska, which exhibits fantastic hardiness and resistance to frosts due to its acclimatisation to local conditions. finishes in just 45 days [indoors] and before the end of September outdoors in the northern hemisphere in 6-8 weeks.<>

I’ve researched and nearly dismissed it. Hardly anyone has a good word for this strain but everyone agrees that Ata Tundra produces solid buds with a high THC level. Almost no one managed to get the quick flowering timeline.

Using Anchorage for the daylight times and 7th October for the harvest date, I back-tracked 56 days and got 19th August for the start of the flowering date.

On that day Anchorage will have 15.23hrs of daylight and that light level will trigger the flowering cycle.

The North of Ireland has 15.23hrs of daylight on the 8th August and an 8-week harvest date 3rd October.

I can work with that timeline.

Propagate and veg from mid-June.

Harvest 1st October

January to June, I’ll use my grow tents to experiment with breeding, cross-breeding and finish growing out the clones.

That’s my outline plan for 2020.

I might need a shovel of luck and some hot manure from my friend @James68 LOL

2 Likes

Trivia

People living in Austin would be ideally placed to grow KumoaniNI seeds.

Austin, Texas United States

Coordinates: 30°15′N 97°45′W

Near Latitude: 30

Near Longitude: -100

1 Like
30°55′N 75°51′E Ludhiana Punjab India
30°45′N 76°47′E Chandigarh N/A India
30°42′N 88°03′W Mobile Alabama United States
30°40′N 104°04′E Chengdu Sichuan People’s Republic of China
30°35′N 114°17′E Wuhan Hubei People’s Republic of China
30°30′N 47°49′E Basra N/A Iraq
30°26′N 9°36′W Agadir Agadir Prefecture Morocco
30°20′N 81°40′W Jacksonville Florida United States
30°15′N 97°45′W Austin Texas United States
30°15′N 120°10′E Hangzhou Zhejiang People’s Republic of China
30°12′N 71°28′E Multan Punjab Pakistan
30°3′N 31°14′E Cairo N/A Egypt
1 Like

altitude could be a factor …maybe a decompression chamber as the ultimate grow room for KumoaniNI.

Altitude doesn’t affect flowering times

Kumoani landrace seeds need around 12hrs of darkness to trigger the flowering cycle (Uttarakhand, Northern India 30.0668° N with maximum daylight hours of 14.05hrs and minimum 10.11hrs.).

My KumoaniNI seeds may have been breed in NI under lights, but they still retained landrace genetically and acclimatisation characteristics.

Late flowering around September 22nd under daylight at 54 North was the kiss of death.

Not every experiment is successful.

I learnt a lot in 2019.

One of the breeding experiments planned for next year will be the crossing of JamcoNI x ATA Tundra and JamcoNI x White Widow with the aim of getting an early finishing outdoor strain.

I’m a stubborn fecker and eventually, I’ll breed a strain that can grow like weeds in the North of Ireland.

1 Like

I have to wonder if that’s true outdoors. The increased UV may well enhance maturation. But it does seem unlikely that altitude, in and of itself, affects flowering times.

The limiting process for plant growth for many species is CO2 diffusion, which depends on the CO2 concentration. If the gas in the hyperbaric chamber has the same composition as air, then the increased pressure will mean an increased CO2 concentration, which will speed the growth process.

1 Like

I thought UV light was included in LED grow lights to act as an insect repellant.

This article is pushing UV as a unique selling point in its marketing rattle.

They may well be justified.

I’ve heard anecdotal evidence that the
UV enhances terpenoid production. It’s all pretty muddy.

2 Likes

@James68

At the start of 2020, my plans are in disarray.

Rats ate my seeds.

Power NI had an outage and shortcircuited my grow lights.

I thought 2020 might be an easy, boring year.

Stay well my friend and meet every problem one at a time.

I wish you and your’s well and good health in 2020.

Best regards,

O’whee

1 Like

Hi jackowhee

Shit Man !, I thought I was reading lyrics from a sad country and western dirge while reading your mail. :rat: :rat: :rat: :rat: :scream: :scream: :scream:

Welsh Western Power has been fairly stable to date but I do tend to cakk myself when the storms barrel in from the Atlantic straight up the Bristol Channel and slam in to my hovel on the mount.
I am well insured,supply wise and have had a spectacular result from Auto Goldleaf from this site…if anything its a bit too THC’eeeee for this soon to be 70 year old larrikin.
Wall paper paste is the rat bait of choice down here amongst the kulaks, it seems they have a taste for it or interior decoration.
I saw a great documentary about the dutch tomato growers in London in the early 17th century, they suceeded where the english failed by using nightsoil combined with soil to create compost heat for the tomato plants and made their fortune and so I will be experementing with cow poop this upcoming grow season. ( i am rambling)

Mr Jack, I send my best wishes to you and yours and may the road rise up to meet you .

Onwards is my clarion call !
Jim in Nipple Land

1 Like

The 2019 season ended in a shambles but I did end up with enough smokes to easily last the winter.

2020 started badly with a rat infestation, power cuts and wet weather.

At one stage, I thought my winter grow was going to be a complete failure.

Desperation sometimes leads to inspiration and one small victory can lead to a new plan and a way forward.

This is my single White Widow seed that survived the Jan 1st rat ravaged germination. I topped in late Feb and took a clone from the topping and this flourished and it has produced 2 more clones in March.

The Jan WW light schedule changed to 12/12 yesterday and I expect to be harvested, dried and cured by the end of June.

My plan is to flip lights on the topped clone in mid-May and start a 6-week harvesting schedule.

Stay well and stay lucky.

Jack

1 Like

My White Window has completed the two weeks 12/12 light transition and the growth spurt has already started. I’m going to start counting the 8-week flowering period from today.

I’ve got an ATA Tundra male plant and a very strong second female clone from the WW.

I plan to do a mid-season seed grow and only have the pollen drop occur while the rest of my plants are either drying/curing or in veg.

The rest of my plants will start the light transition before the end of July. I aim to harvest no later than the end of September.

I’m going to use light depredation techniques combined with grow lights.

This is my new light depredation tent.

It’s made out of scrap material and seems solid enough to last a few seasons.

Stay safe and stay lucky.

2 Likes

Update - Week One of Flowering.

I continue to use 12/12 lighting with an electricity-saving schedule.

8 am - On
11 am - Open south-facing tent wall to full sun/daylight and switch LEDs off
7 pm - LEDs on and close tent
8 pm - Off

The schedule works for me. Oddly the plant seems to respond well to the regular light source switching routine.

The White Widow’s first clone is growing strongly in my improvised light deprivation hooped tent.

I’ll have to prune the top and sides at some stage but for now, I’ll let her do her thing.

The midseason seed-grow plants are growing well and have another four weeks of veg before the 12/12 light transition starts.

Stay well, stay lucky and keep up with the herd.

1 Like

Man that is a crazy system you got! Loving it. Take care and be safe.

1 Like