Outdoor Grower TRYING Indoor Winter Grow 2019

Update

The Kumaoni-NI seedlings are now health plants. I think I’ve got 5 males and 4 females but the final sex was only revealed in the last grow very late into flowering. So, I’ll wait and see before culling.

Pure Kratky is OK for green leafy plants. However, I think that my Kratky cannabis grows produced less yield and suffered from nitrogen deficiencies in the flowing stage.

I put two Jamaican Pearl (f) and one Kumoani (f) clones onto a 14/10 light schedule in my new improvised tent and included an air pump and two bubblers in the set-up.

The plan is to keep them on 14/10 for two weeks and then switch nutrients to bloom and cut the lights to 12/12. They are under 600w led.

In my small tent, I run a 300w led which should be adequate for a one plant soil based grow. This was set into flower on the above schedule.

Happy days

3 Likes

@James68 was touting that Kumani strain.

What’s your thoughts?

Jimbo68 is a good friend.

The Kumoani Sativa strain is reputed to grow up to 3.5m tall in cold and humid conditions. It is mainly harvested for Charas or hash and not for buds. I can certainly see why as the process of deseeding even my small harvest was long and very tedious work. I did manage to recover some of the empty seed husks and cured them in a jar for a couple of weeks.

When rolled into a joint the smoke was smooth with very little coughing. I felt an immediate sense of wellbeing and joint pain relief which continued for days after a medication session.

I’ve proved that Kumoani can be grown indoors providing vigorous topping and training is carried out very early on in the veg stage.

Next year I plan to propagate indoors in April and plant outdoors in late May Hopefully. this will produce plants with full height and massive yields.

Exciting times.

2 Likes

Interesting data. Thanks for sharing your finds.
@jackowhee

Thanks @jackowhee!

Update Week 3 Flowering

Today I switched nutrients from veg to bloom and changed lights to 12/12.

This was a very tricky operation.

My new improvised grow tent needed to be partially dismantled and the fan, water heater, air pump & bubblers removed or put to one side and the lights switched off.

On a nearby table, I had already prepared some 11ltr pots and partially filled them with nutrients ready to receive the main tank lid complete with the three plants and roots.

I did several practice runs to identify potential obstacles and the precise steps to take.

Fully aware that I might ruin three months of hard work. I hitched up my jeans, adjusted balls and just went for it.

Thankfully, no dramas except for some listing due to the plants being top-heavy.

I then emptied the tank of the veg solution and refilled with 40 litres of bloom solution set to Ph 6.3 in anticipation of the bubblers reducing the Ph downwards over time.

While the plants were at table height, I took the opportunity to trim the lower leaves and branches that just wouldn’t receive enough light and then reversed the operation with no dramas.

I added full scrog netting and started the flowing phase LST.

I joined the British Army in 1970 as a young Sapper in the Royal Engineers.

My first Drill Sergeant had a habit of substituting “P’s” for “F’s” in certain sentences and one I’ll always remember and is particularly relevant to this post.

“Plan it, Practice it, Pucking do it.”

A happy day.

4 Likes

I’ve changed my nutrient mixing regime because this fellow makes a compelling argument.

(around 6 minutes in)

Silica first then A+B and finally CalMag.

Update

First of all and for the military trained comrades, left IS my civilian left in this photo description.

In the background, you can see my rain harvester.

Slightly forward and to the left are my first germinated KumoaniNI plants. In hindsight, I should have topped them way earlier. It will be interesting to see if they bend and grow to the shape of the tunnel.

Slightly forward.

The Virginia Gold tobacco grows bigger by the day. From such a small seed, great and consequential things have and often happen.

A little nudge forward.

There’s my strain.

Born in Ireland.

Many a slip betwixt cup and lip.

End of week three-under 12/12 300 watts light.

3 Likes

Looking good!

1 Like

Update

The KumoaniNI plants are growing fast, despite multiple toppings and bending are outgrowing the tunnel space. They have yet to enter the flowering stage. I’m going to have to be inventive in my height control and mould protection later in the year.

The two cages in the rear are KumoaniNI plants. The tall ones were started in June with the other one started about 4 weeks later.

Extreme bending!

This is my new strain JamkoNI growing in soil and in hydroponics.

There’s not enough veg time left under natural light for them to reach full maturity. Maybe, just maybe, they might produce a bud rot free crop.

Here’s my 3rd generation Jamaican Pearl going into week 5 of flowering and the next generation of clones coming along nicely.

My Kratky++ system is doing just fine.

The Perfect Spliff Project took a huge leap forward when my Virginia Gold tobacco plant went into flower.

Happy days.

2 Likes

If I was intending to sell my new strain (which I’m not), I’d probably rip off some famous marketing icon.

1 Like

Update.

The two cages in the rear are KumoaniNI plants. The tall ones were started in June with the other one started about 4 weeks later.

Both sets of plants have completed the pre-flower stage and have started to show very early signs of early bud growth. I expect to be able to confirm the sex of each plant over the next few weeks. At that stage, I’ll cull the males and train the females to take up a much lower profile.

Here are some photos of extreme bending and in some cases snapping of stems in my attempts to restrict the height of the plants.

My new strain JamkoNI which is growing in soil and hydroponics has also completed pre-flowering. Although they have only spent a few weeks in veg, I’m still hopeful of a decent harvest.

My Jamaican Pearl in entering the 7th week of flower under 250 LED lights boosted by natural sunlight from 1100 to 1900hrs. The buds are starting to join up and form colas with some of the lower leaves turning brown and dying off. This is a good sign as the plant is entering the final stage.

My Kratky++ system is growing well and I have great hopes for a good harvest from these 3 plants.

The Perfect Spliff Project took another step forward when my Virginia Gold tobacco plant started to show gorgeous flowers and the lower leaves turned golden yellow. I’ve harvested and dried a few leaves and the smoke is mild with no burnt grass taste.

Things are on track.

Happy days.

4 Likes

Update

The KumoaniNI and JamkoNI plants have gotten out of control in the first few weeks of flower. There’s still no real sign of gender. Each plant could go either way. I think they have completed pre-flower and maybe the first two weeks of flower. The males will drop their pollen in week six or seven. So, I’ve got the time and can afford to wait and be certain of gender before culling.

Week ten will be the earliest time to crop for a hashish harvest based on my previous grow. That means harvest day will be 8th November. I have never had a plant survive the mould and mildew the always starts in mid-August. It won’t be the end of the world if this grow goes tits-up, as my two other grows, which are under lights are nearing completion and the buds and hashish produced will be enough to last me at least six months.

Jamaican Pearl entering week ten of the full flower.

Looking good. I’m going to harvest next Friday.

My one KumoaniNI and two Jamaican Pearls are still doing OK, but the buds are light and airy. I think that I’ve made the classic newbie error of cramming too many plants under one light. In a way, it doesn’t matter, as they are destined for the bubble bags and be turned into hash.

Happy days

4 Likes

Sweet thread! Nice work. Only a dream for me to do something like that at this point.

So I so I enjoyed your journey!

Be blessed.

1 Like

Update

The two grow tents have been harvested, dried and is currently curing in jars, with the aid of Bovida packs.

OK, it’s only four plants.

The yield is below expectations, but it’s enough to last six months.

I’ve already got some clones in flower and a few cuttings beginning to root.

The grow will go on.

1 Like

So you know…you don’t want flowers on a Tobacco plant. I’ve toured a Tobacco Plant in Honduras. They walk the crops daily removing the flowers.

Also…take leaves from the bottom first. As you go up the plant, the leaves will get stronger at the top. Basically a tobacco plant with have 3 primes. I think that was the term they used. Prime 1-3, Prime 4-6 and finally Prime 7-9.

This refers to how they remove the leaves. I hope this helps you.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. This is my first attempt at growing tobacco and I hope to collect seeds from the flower buds for next year’s grow.

1 Like

Update

October, September and November were bad months for me health-wise, and I let things slip.

I did manage to cull the males from my polytunnel grow and just left them to grow. As expected, the buds never increased in size beyond pop-corn size and mildew set in during November. Overcast skies and high humidity coupled with cold temperatures proved too much for the KumoaniNI and JamkoNI.

Next year I plan to do another seed grow using an early strain of Indica and cross with KumoaniNI and JamkoNI female clones. My dream of breeding an outdoor strain that can withstand the climate of the North of Ireland could become a reality in 2020.

I harvested my hydroponically grown JamkoNI today. The buds smell strong and a few of them were
quiet big.

Jamaican Pearl clones going into 4th week of flower.

I’m going to use the modified dehydrator and Boveda bags in glass jars for the dry & cure. Exactly the same as the last time.

In my small grow tent, I’ve got a Jamaican Pearl that’s in week 10 or flower and should be ready to harvest just before Christmas.

My clone tent is producing some outstanding plants. When a clone gets too big for the tent, I move it into one of the flowering tents, after taking some cuttings to maintain the continuous flowering cycle. This means I’ll always be 3 or 4 weeks between harvests.

Happy days @James68

3 Likes

This is really cool and I’m gonna continue watching.

1 Like

Hiya Mr Jack,

glad to see you back on the poop deck and I hope you are well .

Big Bummer about our shite weather nailing your gal’s .

People over here are getting their tits-in-a-tangle over ground source heat pumps and govt. grants. I’m checking out the mechanics of this system and maybe attempt a Heath Robinson version although I am observing a constant heat source coming from my compost. This is fun !

Via Con Dios Amigo

Jim

1 Like

I bought my landrace seeds from seedsman - Kumaoni-regular-seeds on the understanding they would be a cold-hardy, mould/mildew & bug resistant pure Sativa.

To my mind (at that time), these seeds would be ideal for growing in the North of Ireland 54.5977° N with maximum daylight hours of 17.15hrs and minimum 7.15hrs.

However, the seeds turned out to be original and had come from Uttarakhand, Northern India 30.0668° N with maximum daylight hours of 14.05hrs and minimum 10.11hrs.

My first seed breeding grow was carried out in a small tent and used a combination of natural light and a 300 watt LED. I used 18/6 lights for veg and a staggered light schedule of 1 week at 14/10, 1 week at 13/11, 6 weeks at 12/12 and 6 weeks at 10/12.

With the luck-of-the-Irish, the light schedule worked and I got a few hundred Kumaoni seeds along with hundreds of Kumaoni - Jamaican Pearl cross seeds.

Subsequent indoor grows under lights have produced satisfactory yields and smokes.

In June/July, I tested both sets of seeds by germinating and planting 15 of each strain in my polytunnel under natural daylight only.

Explosive veg growth started almost immediately and continued until about the second week of September when the first signs of flowering started to show.

I knew that my experiment was going to fail.

The original seeds were not acclimatised to the daylight hours and extreme climate conditions of winter in the North of Ireland.

By late November the plants had only managed to produce some scraggly buds and mildew/bud rot had set in, the whole lot had to be chucked.

I started 2019 in very poor shape. No smokes and very little chance of growing anything worthwhile.

I start 2020 in much better shape. 3 months of smokes and a 4-week continuous harvest schedule along with hundreds of seeds.

I’m developing a cunning plan to beat the mildew and rot by crossing early hardy landrace Indica with my current plants.

Plan it, practice it, pucking do it…

Good luck