Outdoor Grower TRYING Indoor Winter Grow 2019

Summary October 2018 to 25 January 2019

October 2018

I’m located in a remote part of rural Ireland.

Sometimes/oftentimes… you have to go with what’s available and within budget.

I’m fully aware of the light spectrum, grow tent, heat, humidity and nutrient issues.

That’s why I’m trying to use free solar energy, combined with the low output lights.

Also, I have to keep operating costs low.

From <https://ilgmforum.com/t/outdoor-grower-trying-indoor-winter-grow/24166/5&gt;

Made a Kratky pot and replanted my best clone (Jamaican Pearl) and sorted out the grow tent to allow for better light coverage.

From <https://ilgmforum.com/t/outdoor-grower-trying-indoor-winter-grow/24166/49&gt;

Grow Tent made out of mouldy baby’s travel playpen.

From <https://ilgmforum.com/t/outdoor-grower-trying-indoor-winter-grow/24166/50&gt;

I’ve my light (low powered 300w LED) on 18/6 with an open south facing grow tent. Today, I got 8 hours of sunlight for free and more to come this week.

From <https://ilgmforum.com/t/outdoor-grower-trying-indoor-winter-grow/24166/79&gt;

December 2018

I’ve got 2 Jamaican Pearl (fem) clones and 4 Kumaoni Regular Seedlings growing.

From <https://ilgmforum.com/t/outdoor-grower-trying-indoor-winter-grow/24166/99&gt;

Under the 300 watt led working on 18-6 timed to take advantage of any winter light available.

From <https://ilgmforum.com/t/outdoor-grower-trying-indoor-winter-grow/24166/105&gt;

I’m using Vitalink Hydromax veg a&b in a weak solution along with calmax and silicon. My plan is to increase the feed solution as the plants grow.

From <https://ilgmforum.com/t/outdoor-grower-trying-indoor-winter-grow/24166/107&gt;

I wend and weave my way to the potato patch.

To take the piss!

Master Of The O’whee

From <https://ilgmforum.com/t/outdoor-grower-trying-indoor-winter-grow/24166/113&gt;

Frequent Posters

5734733 3

butchbrooks

2 Likes

Today I awoke to find the snow and ice had finally cleared and opened up the pathway to my covert grow.

I checked my Kratky grow for the solution levels and found only the small Jamaican Pearl needed topping up. All the roots looked healthy and the topping and LST carried out in December has been successful.

Not too shabby considering I’ve been house/bedbound for about 6 weeks.

There’s a lot of tidying up to do inside the tunnel but I’ll take things steady and try to do one thing every day to put things in order.

Respect to Mr. Kratky. His system works.

Master Of The O’whee

6 Likes

Dr Wee
I do not seem to be getting all the posts you send to me, weird ?
I am very interested in your Kumaoni plants…would you post a snap plz ?

Daffodils popping up everywhere here but it looks like the whip is coming down from the Artic on Saturday…Spring is a coming and so is my dinner.
Jim Mc Riptit

Just for The Right (often Dis)Honourable Mr James McRiptittie

I give you the most delectable, delightful and strong growing daughter of Kumaoni. At 6 weeks old with only one topping to her name…

Presenting a prime specimen of Kumaoni (topped and LST’d) manhood…

The stem thickness shows the effect of adding silicon to the grow solution.

Stay well my friend

O’wheee

2 Likes

Yo O’wheee,
thank you …that is going to be a Noble plant for sure…july / august before puffing ?
I intend to try LST this season and have been collecting the stainless steel rods inside old wind screen wipers, they make perfect weights and can be manipulated quite easily with a pair of pliers to make S hooks or upside down J…i am at the old Northern Lights at the moment…time for a butty…
Adios Hombre :man_farmer::rainbow:

ps: I thought the Earthing tape was a unique touch Sir .

Hopefully a lot sooner.

This weekend, I’m going to move the male and 2 fems (Kumaoni) and my best Jamaican Pearl to the flowering tent and put them under a 600 watt LED set on a 12/12 light schedule.

I’ll keep them in the veg solution for a week or so before swopping out the nutrients for a half-strength (1 1/2 mils per litre) bloom mix again for a week or two.

If all goes well, I’ll move them all to the main flowering tank which has 3 mils per litre solution and that should be that until the flush.

Kumaoni is a landrace and as such, I cannot find reliable flowering times but the JP is around 3 months.

Drying and curing a month

Guesstimate 1 Feb start flower - June smoke

I’m going to try the charas method of harvesting resin from the living plant, after all, that’s what Kumaoni is famous for. In which case I can expect to be smoking the highest grade of Himalayan hash in May, in Ireland.

As a result of keeping the male, I’ll have an added bonus of seeds that will keep the genetics alive with the added interest of a JP cross.

There’s many a sliptwixt the cup and the lip .

O’wee

Kumaoni cannabis strain’s high will turn around your whole mood and spiritual disposition. It will light up your universe and put a huge grin on your face that is hard to wipe off.

Jamaican Pearl Feminized is more like sunshine - breezy, warm and happy. And very, very high, naturally!

It’s going to be an interesting cross.

Jackie Boy, King of Kumoani

its time to batten down the hatches as we are both going to get mugged by the heavy weather that is spewing down from the Arctic Circle in the next 24 hrs.

I need your advice on nutes this upcoming grow …i will be doing 5 Afghani Autos at first in homemade organic soil and they will be sun grown

Jim Lad

1 Like

Job done, although I did feck-up one branch while LSTing. Pva and tape should mend it.

IMG_20190126_140329_hdr

IMG_20190126_140348_hdr

Jimbo, you’ll be better off asking in the soil growing forum or searching the database.

3 Likes

Man i have ti say

Nice job!

1 Like

They look a little sad, are you keeping then moist with clones Have found keeping them moist for the first couple weeks seams to be good I have only lost 2 clones in 15 years I never give a full dose of fertilizer, starting out I just keep them moist them after they are standing tall I use half strength of Fert then if ever thing looks good the second feeding I bump it up (NOT FULL STRENGTH) they should do well third feeding about 3 months old clones full strength they should be on there way, if you are out doors keep an eye out for bugs, mold, crap like that you should have success !

Bobby

The JP clones were taken at harvest time way back in November 2018. I’m only running a small grow, I picked the best two and chucked the rest.

End of grow clones always grow slow and bushy. The roots are healthy and about 18" long.

LOL… All plants that have just been low-stress-trained will look a little sad but I’m confident that within a few days they will recover and start many main cola branches.

Bat

Thank you

Light schedule for next weeks weather and sunlight times.

Weather for next week is forecast to be cold but sunny.

Daylight times for the north of Ireland

I need to take advantage of the free solar energy without compromising my plant in the south facing open to sunlight veg tent.

300 watt LED set to the following times:

0700 on
0900 off

1600 on
2359 off

This will give me 7hrs of energy saving each day giving a monetary saving of approximately £28 if I keep the same schedule during the whole of February.

Not a bad return for so little effort.

I’m staying with 0700 on 1900 off for my flowering tent as I want as much LED light/sunlight as possible to promote early growth.

Later in the year, I’ll have to fully light proof the tent.

2 Likes

Interesting article about greenhouse growing and light manipulation.

I’ll have to work on off-grid solutions to keep my nutrient tanks cool and additional ventilation in the hotter periods of the year.

I’ve used this low tech (off-grid) way of cooling a water bottle by wrapping in wet cloth and then tieing a string to the neck and swing it around and around my head to generate airflow. It does work.

It wouldn’t take much effort to adopt such a system to my grow tent. and nutrient tank.

I need to build some kind of lightproof Venetian blind ventilation system and combine it with a fan to get the air moving inside the tent and activate the Coolgardie system.

A man with a plan
Sometimes that’s what I need to get out of bed!

Today I moved the male and 2 fems (Kumaoni) and my best Jamaican Pearl to an improvised bloom solution tank connected to a reserve tank by a syphon hose. Both tanks will empty at the same rate. This will give me 38 litres of available solution, which should be enough to get to harvest without any top ups.

Improvised Bloom Tank

Syphon and Reserve Tank

The Boy and Girls Freshly LST’ed

!IMG_20190202_151951_hdr|690x393](upload://ySNPp5iGYwlfQvqU12bVOjsAqAo.jpeg)

I’m a bit concerned about front row droopy one. Hopefully, it will perk up in the new solution and dead on 5.7 ph level.

A good day, a rare day in which I didn’t feck up anything.

2 Likes

“A good day, a rare day in which I didn’t feck up anything.”

Turns out I spoke too soon.

I was right to be concerned about droopy leaves and slowed growth.

This only accelerated over the following days to the point of almost total plant shut down.

Checked and double checked Ph and PPM of nutrients in both tanks and they were all “dead on”.

I was sure that changing nutrients to bloom and altering the light cycle to 12/12 wasn’t the main problem (shock may have made things a bit worse) as the symptoms had been present in the veg stage.

Really there was only one major thing to check.

Water temperature.

In my veg tent, I’d kept back a small clone growing in a 2l plastic bottle placed on a propagation mat and found the temp to fluctuate between 14c and 18c. This surprised me, as the prop mat is supposed to pump out a constant 22c. Investigating further I found the bottom 2" of water was indeed 20-22c with the temp falling off the higher up the bottle. In fact, the top 1" showed only 8-10c. Because I’m growing the Kratky method, I don’t have water circulation other than convection. Think back, the symptoms really began to be noticeable when I changed the early seedlings from .5l bottle used in early propagation to the taller 2l bottle.

Moving the 4 plants to a much larger flowering tank probably doubled if not trebled the symptoms because the volume of water could only lead to more severe temperature layers. 12c bottom of the tank to a low of 4c at the top.

It’s no wonder my plants went into shutdown.

My fix was to:

1. Move all plants back to the veg tent 18/6 lights and change nutrients to veg.

2. Cutback the height of the bottles to about 12"

3. Reduce water level to 4"

4. Use air fan and propergation mat to maintain a more constant 20c-22c temp

It’s early days but my canna-family are recovering and starting to grow again.

Who knows, the trauma may make the plants stronger in the long term.

My respect for both strains cold hardiness and general lust for life only increases day-by-day.

Yes, I feck-up but I fixed the feck-up.

2 Likes

Nice job on the analysis!

I have never used the Kratky method on weed before, interesting to see.

Looks like it has the potential to be a challenge.

Update

I’ve moved 3 of my healthiest plants into 11-litre square shaped pots, made lightproof lids and a water level indicator. Each pot has 2.5 litres of Vitalink Hydromax veg a&b 3mls, calmax .5mls and silicon .5mls per litre. Checked and double checked Ph and PPM of nutrients in all tanks and they were all “dead on”.

The pots are sitting on heat mats and maintain a 20- 22c temperature.

Looking good.

I just might be back-on-track.

3 Likes