Outdoor grow training question

I’m going to try a plant outdoors this year. I’ve got a godfather OG photo 11 days old today. My question is, do you folks with outdoor experience top, or fim your outdoor plants, or let them go all natural. I always FIM indoors, but maybe with space not an issue, all natural is the way to go for best yield?

6 Likes

There’s nothing like the way a plant grows under the sun. :+1:
I top some. I leave others alone just to see how it grows if it’s something I’ve never grown before.
I do a fair amount of training and tying out of branches for light and air flow during veg.
Def makes a difference in the end.
The ones I’ve topped have gotten very wide.
Be prepared to support the branches for flower. :joy:

Best of luck with things.

:v:

14 Likes

I like to top my plants outside one time. About 8 nodes will make a nice large bush.

6 Likes

I guess it would depend a bit on if you need to be incognito, what you like to see in your plants, and the strain. @kellydans and @Oldguy have ya covered about the rationale for topping. I top outdoor plants so I dont have neighbors giving me the eyebrow when i go out.

7 Likes

I think it depends on where your growing it if it’s going to be in a smaller container you’ll need to control the size if your planting in ground or using a large pot or bag let it go my plants last summer were 12 feet.

5 Likes

@TransplantedFarmgirl

home-improvement-fence

6 Likes

No need for incognito. I’m going to use 10 gal. rain science bag.

3 Likes

I always grow outdoors and the biggest problem is the bugs, always check your plants. I use decoy plants around mine that insects like better than the pot plants. And hummingbird feeders, they eat insects that affect plants.

I let mine do there thing

7 Likes

@Dexterado Yeah I grow outdoors only…I grow mainly Autos so I leave them be…2 seasons ago I grew my first outdoor Photo Romulan…I didn’t top it but I should have because it started to get monstrous… :rofl: Even though its legal here I didn’t want the neighbors or any dubious teenagers to know…( Like they cant smell them at flower :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:)…But if I grow a Photo this year I WILL do something to keep it manageable…Good Luck keep us posted!!@TOUGH-TONY127…Me too…I’m outdoor and every year Ive had problems with Hemp worms or Bud worms…They’ve devastated many plants… This year I’m gonna be pro active and try some nematodes etc…

4 Likes

I pinch my outdoor stuff.I grew GFOG indoors over the winter .Turned out amazing.
I have some GFOG in the ground now.I think it will also be awesome.
No matter what training method you use or not use.Just give your girls a lot of attention.
If this is your first run with GFOG ,your going to be a happy camper.

4 Likes

I’ll tie down branches to keep the plants below the fence line so they cannot be seen by the public. I also take some cuts as clones to share with friends. Otherwise I just let them grow.

5 Likes

Yup, first time for this strain. Thanks.

2 Likes

@Dexterado ,your gonna love .but don’t make any plans when you first try it.GFOG is some very potent stuff.it will make you forget why you walked into another room for something.Or why did I drive 30 miles to my cottage after 2 hits,and say what did I come here for.:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Well, I don’t smoke, but my wife does, and has a very high tolerance, so this should be right up her alley.

2 Likes

@Dexterado some of my high tolerance friends I call overachievers :joy:were very impressed with GFOG.
I grew 3 photos indoors and yielded just shy of a lb.I’m really looking forward to see what they do outdoors.they had the heaviest/thickest stalks I’ve ever seen.And I’ve been doing this since MobyDick was a minnow.:joy:

2 Likes

Bahahahaha, that’s funny. :slight_smile:

I always grow outdoors and the slugs are a pain. I don’t put them in the ground just in 5 gallon bucket’s, I. Carry them around the yard to keep them in the sun all day, Lol what ever it takes. Good luck with your grow. P.S. Having them transportable is nice, when people come over I just put them out in the woods

5 Likes

:+1: :+1:
What’s the average temperature day and night in your region?
I’d like to grow for the first time outdoors and just wondering if my climate is suitable, cause it’s often sunny here. I live in southern Europe, kind of 86-93°F during the day and 70-74°F at night. I’ve read the ideal range is up to 85° F… but everybody had own experience in sunny region that’s why I’m asking. In general I was planning to choose feminized marijuana seeds. Actually I don’t understand what is more important to consider: the climate or the growing season or seeds…

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’m in the USA in Missouri, and temps have been high 80’s to 100 lately. I have to water a lot in my 10 gal. bag, but plant is doing well. Has a lot of pre flowers now.

4 Likes

I am in the north east USA and the growing season is short so you have to be on your game the worst thing about growing outside is the insects and the slugs

1 Like