Outdoor grow on Hawaii upper Puna district with supplemental lighting

Aloha,
Wanting to do an off season grow in the Upper Puna district on Hawaii island, beginning late September (have medical permit from state). We are located about 1000 feet elevation with 200 plus inches of rain annually. Rains can be very heavy and can damage and flood plants, but we have great drainage. Plants to be under a metal canopy frame with greenhouse plastic roof (pitched which will help with better airflow and height) that allows light into grow area, from our experience. We use a drip system on a timer and have a soil tester for moisture and PH.

We have about 12 hours of daylight throughout the year so we need to supplement the daylight to 18 hours. We have access to power from electric company (46 cents per KWH). In addition, as we move into Fall and Winter the sun is blocked more by trees around our lot. Also more overcast and rainy days.

We have three light choices for supplementing lighting:

1. Viparspectra 300Watt equivalent LED full spectrum designed for indoor grows when positioned 24 inches above plants (drawing 200 watts) but light will be positioned at highest point in center of outdoor structure.

2. A 36 inch long fluorescent fixture with five T5 bulbs emitting 20K lumens 6500K blue.

3. Four LED floodlights equivilent to 60 Watt bulbs each but draw about 10 watts each. Any of these lights can be hung in the highest part of the structure which is 10 by 14 feet total and 12 feet high at center.

Six plants will be closer to center of structure in 30 inch diameter fabric containers. Lights would come on at 5PM when sun falls behind trees and on until 10 PM. Which light choice would be best to maintain Veg stage and possibly increase yield?
Mahalo

This should be enough to keep them in veg. I would still recommend sunlight to be your primary light. Should have a good result with that.
@dbrn32 might be able help more.

1 Like

Bro I am totally watching wanna see a Hawaiian grow for sure man

2 Likes

High,
Good luck, listen to these people they know what they are talking about and will help in any way possible and keep the pics coming. I am at the end of an outdoor grow and I hope my Maui will finish. I have about a month to 6 weeks left. Fingers crossed.
Ger

2 Likes

I don’t really feel like any of those options are going to increase your yeilds. But, going with the 4 floodlight option would allow you to spread the light out a little bit and should successfully keep them in veg longer.

1 Like

Beautiful, they are doing great. Thanks for sharing. Will post pics when we get em started.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Makes sense.

1 Like

Hope to find some Ghost Train Haze seeds too. The sativa dominant strain is rumored to grow really well in our rainforest like climate which is cooler due to the elevation.

1 Like

Nice that’s stellar man best of luck can’t wait to see pics