Outdoor grow in woods - insect damage

@beardless How big should fabric bags be for photos? Also I’m looking to get some organic fertiliser such as Bone Meal. Would i be ok to mix in the bone meal in the compost? If so what part ratio?

If you’re doing photos outdoors, I would go no smaller than 10 gallons. Fabric pots dry out fast, and unless you want to water 2-3 times a day, I’d go bigger.

And as for bone meal, it works great as an organic soil amendment, but it won’t provide everything your plant needs.
If you go with bone meal, you’ll also want some blood meal for N, and kelp meal for N & K, but you’ll also need something with trace minerals, like rock dust. And there are many other organic amendments one need to look into, if you want to go the organic route.
You can look into bottled nutrients? Everything they’ll need in 2-3 bottles.

Thanks @Growyourown perhaps I’d be better off putting some blood and kelp meal in the soil? I’ve used bottled nutes previously which have worked great but because I can only tend to these plants roughly once a week I’m after a fertiliser which will require little maintenance. I know there is drip feed fertiliser. Anything you recommend?

1 Like

Happy cannaversary @lulu2020

1 Like

Your best bet would be dry organic amendments then. You can try out a supersoil concentrate. Contains all the micro and macronutrients your plants will need, as well as microbes. I’ve used Natures Living Soil and it worked pretty well.

Thanks @Growyourown These are the plants now. Pests have gotten to them and they’d fallen by the stem before I tied them up. Dont think it’ll be a bumper crop from these girls.

They seem to want more sunlight. Anytime you grow cannabis in a shaded area, they grow like this. Cannabis grown in the woods will grow, but won’t produce nearly as much as they will in full sun.

@Growyourown Gotcha. I’ve since moved them into an area less shaded. Hopefully that will do the job. Thanks

1 Like

If you want a decent crop, I might suggest putting them in something bigger, or in the ground, if at all possible?
If you keep them in these pots all year, you’ll get to the point where you have to water twice a day pretty quickly.

@Growyourown Yes not sure why I havent thought to put them in the ground before. As simple as transplanting them from the pot to a hole big enough in the ground?

1 Like

Yep. The bigger the hole, the better off they’ll be.

1 Like

Hi @Growyourown just one more question - I put the plants in holes just big enough for them to fit in, rather than deep holes as u said. The soil was quite clay like but I think good quality. Think they’ll be ok?

1 Like

This will help with watering, but for root space, being it’s clay soil, it won’t help much for yield.
If you can, find some type of organic material for mulch, (or you can use just potting soil) and add a layer about 3" thick around the base of the plant. This will allow for more root space and will help significantly. The plants will grow into the clay soil, but not as vigorously as they would in a more aerated soil that’s rich in organic material.

But if you don’t want to mess with that, your plants will still grow and produce. Just depends on what kind of yield you’re looking for.

Thanks. I think I’ll leave them as they are. One is starting to pre flower with a few white pistols showing. Will be putting others in other locations but will bear this advice in mind :+1:

1 Like

Just be careful. I again usggest sprinkling all around the plants with Food grade DE which scrathes the exoskeleton and the pests dehydrate and die. In affect, the eggs hatch and they die too after traveling through the Food GFrade DE. Good luck guys.

1 Like

Yes! Diatomaceous earth works great for pest management.

1 Like

He mentioned Autos.
I don’t top autos, do you?

Hi @Growyourown thinking of using Westland’s Fish, Blood & Bone Food fertilizer. It has a NPK of 3-9-3. Would I be ok to use this with some perlite in the holes?

1 Like