Outdoor greenhouse - Sun in california

Hi everyone, I am growing 2 different auto’s in my greenhouse here in California and it is May now and starting to get hot here…
My greenhouse is a $120 green polyethylene with metal bars for support…
It is 12x8x7 . I have a fan blowing on plants to try to cool them.
I noticed the other day on certain fingers of the leaves to be curled up and when touched the crumbled as from being dried…
So I assumed way to hott!
So the only answer I have is the fan blowing on them and then I mist them a few times during the day…These plants are Gold and Northern lights Autoflowering…

Is there something else I could do instead of bringing a heavy AC unit in there and watch the money go through the roof on electricity?
Here is some pictures of the area…

if you could incorperte a window at the top of your greenhouse that would vent your heat right out of there and then once cooled off you could close it shut…sound good…my parents had three greenhouses…and they did that

Will

I thought of that, but we are hesitant as then we have to purchase a roof vent to keep rain and other things out…And a reminder it is polyethylene plastic cover…So if I put a vent in there it would have to be silicon-ed and sealed in place with no supports…
I remembered when we were at the nursery they had a cover over their plants to protect them from the hot sun here…So I looked that up…
It is here… https://www.lowes.com/pd/Easy-Gardener-6-ft-W-Saddle-Tan-Shade-Fabric/3028056

So this is what we are going to do for now…
If it is still overwhelmingly hot in there after that being done, then we will have to cut a hole and vent it…

Thanks Will for your quick response…

We had a few auto flowers die in their germinating process…
They both died because of over watering in pots…
One when I dropped it in the pot to grow the seed flipped over with root facing up and so it took longer to turn around but because of overwatering it go root rot and died…
The other died because of damping, which is from same overwatering…ARG!
So I got tired of guessing if they were wet enough down deep in the pots and planted them in the ground which is cool and moist and they are as happy clams now!!
I am not seeking a replacement of the two seeds dying because it was my fault…
I just wanted you to know…Now I am a bit more educated about the watering issues that can arise…I use a meter on the ground now and water them at least twice a week or more if it gets hotter…The meter lets me know if it is needed or not before any damage to plants can begin…

Thanks again… Kellie

Make sure you check and adjust the ph of your water which your plants will thank you for. …

I live on the Central Coast north of Santa Barbara. Where we are doesn’t usually get that hot so I don’t have the same problem you do. Can you put a parasol over part of the greenhouse? Would it be easier to vent both ends up high? I see screen, gorilla tape and silicone caulk lol.

I would set up a simple little mister system on a timer to cool things down a bit and maybe some shay cloth… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

I tried that…the mist landed on the leaves making it burn holes in leaves…

Sorry…

But I did notice that these Auto’s are certainly taking it, except for the small fingers on some top leaves curling up and drying out, they are standing there with their leaves lifted up loving the light and soil…It’s just the heat from 12-5…That is why I got the fan going on them and opened almost all lower vents in green house…
One good thing is we live on the delta here in Stockton so every day we get a breeze that comes out on most days at around 5pm just cooling us off after a heat drencher…
So I am going to get one of those covers to put over the green house to filter out the heat and drop the temperature 20 degrees or more while still giving the plants the rays they need…

After that if still too hot then, the hole and lots of sticky crap for screen vents…

I would put up the shay cloth and see how that goes first… then if it’s still to warm I would ad the mister under the shay cloth… can’t put the cart in front of the horse… :wink:

Now I am leaning toward fans installed at both ends on top of the wall of green house, Will mentioned his parents had a green house before and that took care of the heat problem right away…So I am just trying to figure out what kind of fans and how much they cost…
I am looking in Ebay right now as I bought a 12v fan there and that is what is running in there now to help…So maybe another one and mount them in the wall on both ends…Have one blowing in and the other out so there is always a cross ventilation going on…It all has to wait until June thou until I get my Srs payment comes in…Oh well…Until then hope the fan works…for now…

I cut a large window opposite the door to get better venting of all the hot air…you could get some netting to block bugs, maybe you could glue, tape or stitch it in place for a more permanent solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-9648-Mosquito-48-Inch-72-Inch/dp/B000KBLD0K/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1495584280&sr=8-13&keywords=mosquito+net

The square box fans that they sell at the dollar store would be fine for your set up , $15 bucks i think… one on 1 side blowing in and the 2nd one blowing out the other side… :wink:

LOL Peach, Not quite, Take another look at the greenhouse, it is not glass but a very flimsy polyethylene plastic…I am thinking of buying this at ebay…

.I have another for the other side…

That’s the ticket, Yea, that’s the ticket!!

Thanks everybody for your input…It did help me to decide…

i’m pretty much decided now…and baked…Lol

@kelliehu does that fan come with a regular plug, or are ya gonna park the car near by (that is all I know those plug into), I do not see a wall plug…

2 Likes

Ha Ha, The fan comes with a plug for RV use or automobile use…plug in your cigarette plug for power, OR as I did I cut them off and will hook them up to an adapter and plug it into an extension cord going out to greenhouse to power the adapter…
Originally I have solar panels out there to power the fans, but cloudy days or the placement of panels makes it difficult to get consistent sun on them but they are a visible eye sore in our garden…as they are placed outside the greenhouse in the nearby garden…So I decided to take the panels out and put down a cord for power…The power is not much of a difference in the elec. bill…We turn the fans off after the sun begins to set…
This works better…

1 Like

I’m in NV, getting to 100 most days soon. Had a few already. I have a small greenhouse which I modified. At least 1 screen panel on each side base, and 4 screen panels on top. I also tried misters, and yes on leaves no good. I took a fan mister kit and keep it below the bucket line, so below plant level. I have kick on mister every 4 hours for 15 min, fan is always on during day. It cools down 10-20 degrees. Greenhouse has been around 104-110 during days without breeze/wind until mister kicks on.
To help,water drip system auto feeds at 11a and 4p, also to help cooling and feed. I haven’t had to use my shade screens yet but sure when every day 100+ will be forced to.
Hope that might help with mister use in extreme hot.
Mark

3 Likes

@kelliehu tag me on this please. I have a similar greenhouse and would love to learn with your experience. Similar temps in my part of the country.

Like your outdoor lvmd - effective and ‘seems’ simple to maintain.
Need to incorporate similar for my growing climate across the world.

Well I figure everyone will love to see the progress of my little project so far and the Auto’s on how they are coming along too…
Check them out below:

This is a picture of the stem of one of my Goldleaf plants in low stress training…The plant is only 1’ high…

You can see the bend here…

Here is a picture of same plant from above so you can see how it is filling out…

This is the other two Gold leafs and their progress, they are a little younger than the other…But coming along…

This is a pic of two of my Northern Lights Autos coming along in their 2 month.
They are getting smelly and sticky already and filling out with pistils nicely…I see them grow probably another possible 2 months…

These are close ups of the NL’s Nice beautiful blooms!!

I will be getting my fan either today or tomorrow and will update when installed…to show those asking…Thanks everybody for your ideas and thoughts.
Kellie

4 Likes

Nice, Critical Mass auto showing itself. Crystal giving me a hard time, acts like nutes but my changing feeding type of nutes not helping. Heat is becoming no problem as the it is even cooler in greenhouse rather then outside in sun 100+ normal in summer. The misting at low over bottom of buckets does cool it off nice.
thx
Mark

1 Like

The fan and mister for fan made a big difference in my case. Opened up the greenhouse today, 104f outside, temp in greenhouse at least at plant bucket edge 93f. No misters blowing on plant directly but mist auto every 4 hrs maybe sooner, but keep the misters low below bucket line, cools them off well.
Mark

2 Likes