Outdoor 2021 smart pots

Thanks! Jut got some chicken wire, will top it with the same till they get to big.

I use chicken wire, tomato cages, barbed wire and guard towers. The varmints can come in all shapes and sizes. For insects I use neem oil and diatomaceous earth. Once the plants are big enough they are safe from the bigger dogs and the cages keep the cats out. Squirrels aren’t a problem, but they stay out of the yard.

Yeah, I got the idea when I saw a grow in rockwool. It comes in these large cubes and the guy just placed the rooted clones on top.

1 Like

I have read about that here, I picked up some geraniums, marigolds, basal and mint with the chicken wire. I am sure there will be more trips to the garden center! Thanks!

1 Like

May have some questions down the road. Here is a pic of my plot. image0.jpeg

2 Likes

I have another greenhouse as I bought 2 but I’m pretty sure that the plants would do better outside I just don’t like the idea of bud rot or broken limbs from storms. So the greenhouse is just a preventive measure.

I’ll start getting nervous when the buds start popping HA. The branches seem to fall just short of the garden. They funny thing is I can’t smoke because of my job. Doing this for family, but I will get my enjoyment learning and gardening. Time for this old man to go have to get up early. Night all.

1 Like

This is Karla’s Korner from last July.

3 Likes

Wow man lol!!! Tall plants. Sativa? Were those trained? That’s awesome!! I’m excited to see what my plants have in store only time will tell.

@Putz youll love growing even if you don’t smoke. It’s amazing how much I enjoy gardening.

Last year’s outdoors was a mishmash. The taller plants in back were all from bag seeds. They were just defoliated. I also planted some clones. They went out later and didn’t grow very tall (about 3’). One of the clones was Tammy. She was my first attempt at mainlining.

She gave over 50% more than her sisters.

Ahh the benefits of manipulation, I like it. So I have a question sir, when should I put cages on or should I since the big pots will be in the greenhouse? While inside I had a scrog bet that I’d put on when the plants reached a certain height due to low ceiling.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about cages with inside plants. I put a tomato towers around my outdoor plants and that is usually all, The cages on this year’s grow are to keep the cats from pooping in the pots. Other than insects (freaking caterpillars) I haven’t had a problem.

1 Like

In the past I’ve grown roses outdoor and in august I would mix up molasses with water and they grew to Over 6 foot tall. Do you use organic mix fertilizer or synthetic

Every other week or so I brew up a tea. I add a little bit of everything. A tablespoon of each: molasses, fish emulsion, Happy Frog, manure and bat guano. Sometimes I add a quarter cup of epsom salts and a half cup of egg shells. I aerate this in 5 gallons of water for about 24 hours. I mix this with 5 gallons of water and water my plants like normal. You can put the dry stuff in a bag and hang it into the water or just mix it all together and use the slurry in your next soil build.

2 Likes

That seems like a good regimen, do you ph as it’s outside? I ran into a small hiccup which I’ve already corrected I was ph-ing my water at 5.8 and apparently the plants in soil like it 6.3 is their happy place. And also do you water as needed or on a schedule? I do know that outside there is more moisture naturally in the earths soil compared to a pot.

1 Like

It is so great when you can grow outdoors like that. :slight_smile:

welcome to the forum. Might be a good idea to start them inside and get some growth 6" or so before planting outdoors. Good luck :slight_smile:

What is cool about using roockwoll that way is; The make a 40" cube that goes into a Dutch Leach Tray, and you can sit 3-4 of the big cubes on top of that and add a drips take. Very cool setup, you see it in Cannabis books in a long row, with a drain on the end of table. Old growers also threaded a 1.4’ dia. cotton string into the drain of tray and allowed tham to leach from the solution in the long drain troth. FYI :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have ni idea…LOL. I was up for over 30 hours when I posted that. Sorry if it bothered you. I can remove the post if it offends you. Have no idea.

I was thinking I would soak in water till they get their tail and stick them in the ground, I will follow your recommendation. I can legally grow five, purchased ten gold leaf fem and ten LSD auto. Thought two gold leaf and three LSD would fit in my 6’ x 10’. Maybe a little crowded. [quote=“Roger.ILGS, post:37, topic:67531, full:true”]
welcome to the forum. Might be a good idea to start them inside and get some growth 6" or so before planting outdoors. Good luck :slight_smile:
[/quote]