Outdoor 2020 Midwest

The last pic isn’t the cola that was pressed against. :grimacing::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

@Kevfrmthestl Had to play catch up, sorry - dont trip about that, appearance will normalize etc if you dont keep them squished, etc

Congrats homie sounds like you did everything according to plan, waited as long as you could, got some great color on those buds, should be some :fire: :facepunch:t3:

2 Likes

@Green707Thumb seriously broski thanks for all your help and support seriously wouldn’t of got this far without it after 10 yrs out the game… I got them out of the box and hung this am. It was scary seeing them kinda squished then while hanging them seeing the compressed couple of buds got me worried about mold yada yada since they were still moist😂. My in-laws are in town so have to use a neighbors room in the basement he used for drying so no control with being right there. It’s like having someone you don’t know watch your kids when they are infants.

2 Likes

Update the drying is going well after the wash. The buds almost dry more evenly than non washed it seems like. Comparing a non to washed. It’s 69 with a solid 60 percent RH in the dry room and pitch black. I couldn’t find the light it was so dark :joy:

2 Likes

It’s day 5 of drying. The room is down to around 68 with 55%.

@Green707Thumb @Cannabian so my branches aren’t snapping yet. can I trim and then put them in a paper bag before putting jarring for cure?

Oh yeah, I dont dry till snapping, normally till it feel s dry on the outside and still a wee tad spongy to the squeeze. The stem is usually snappy on the small stuff and more of a brittle kink on the bigger stuff. Remember the whole idea of the cure is partly to remove the chlorophyll which brings the terpines forward, and to even out rhe moisture content from the stem and bud center to the rest of the bud. When you are done releasing tge gasses, over time the excess moisture gets released. Putting slightly moist bud in a jar isnt a bad thing unless its way too moist because you can get mold. I grab a bud after the first day and feel it. If ots obviously damp, the bud is too wet to jar. If it feels barely damp its perfect. You need a little moisture because the curing process should take a month or more of releasing gasses. As the burping progresses, you need to spread out the burping. Like I usually do once a day for a half hour for the first week and then once every 2 days for a week or 2 , and then once every 3 days or so. After about a month of this the chlorophyll is pretty much totally gone. The issue then becomes you may have over dried it? In such a case you use the bovida packs or fruit if your choice on a paper towel, to raise the moisture content up to the desired level. Its important to note that not all bud dries at the same rate… open structured buds are way faster and need to be intentionally dried slower than tight buds. Also a fat top cola will take a lot longer than the side buds, so dont expect your dope to all finish drying and curing at the same time.

2 Likes

Perfect. The stems are bending pretty easy without snapping. I didn’t want them to be to dry. I hear about letting them snap then trim. I thought and you confirmed they should still be a little wet on the inside of the bud. so once going into the jar it’s releasing the chlorophyll and the rest of the water with burping. This will be day 10. It’s been a slow dry with temp at 68-70 with 55% humidity. I figured they were ready but want to make sure. I want to taste the terps. Im going to have to trim good lots of sugar leaves. They are dusted but don’t want a harsh taste so it’s bubble hash material. Thanks for your response. I feel a bit more confident going into the final steps.

1 Like

Yep, just remember that while mold will destroy all of the dope in the jar, you can still add back some moisture. The big thing about the cure is… it basically stops as soon as the bud gets snappy dry. It needs some moisture to cure properly. If it staets to get into the 40 percent range the cure rate gets slower or even stops.

1 Like

I don’t think they are too dry yet. I think the temps and RH really helped slow the respiration of the water which is exactly what you want. In the past the drying areas weren’t the best we were kids and we rushed it with warmer temps but I didn’t know what I know now. i tested them this afternoon and only one branch snapped the rest were bending. The debating do I let them go a couple more days crossed my mind. After reading your reply it’s the right time since they still have moisture to cure off. This is the part in the past that probably didn’t get paid enough attention. It’s the most important part. So getting it right is key to even see if i did the grow right. You’ve been a great help as well @Cannabian thanks so much.

1 Like

Hey we are in this world together! Anytime! The cure is a funny thing, seems everything is won or lost in this part of the operation.

1 Like

Teenage wasteland 5oz. It has a sweet smell with a hint of sour lime. Smoke report after cure.

Lemon milk 5.5oz. The smell is lemon but with a hint of sugar cookies with a side of milk. It’s hard to place.