Out of curiosity

Have you ever grafted one type of strain to another…does it make a different/crossed bud?

I read you would have to have the plant on 24/0 light cycle to heal and graft to the host plant which would make it tough to do i guess cuz it would have to almost be in flower mode or at least close so its grown out a little bit

No it dosnt .

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think this would work… I feel like the genes of the bud are determined from its seed, not “what plant its attached to”.

Think of like, getting a human finger transplant (eww) sure it might heal well eventually, but it would still look completely different to the rest of your fingers. Different genetic make up

1 Like

Ha yeah idk just a thought…i have watched videos of it being successfully done but they just showed the process i didn’t see the fruit after

1 Like

Yeah that would be hella cool though! It made me wonder if there is any terpene exchange between flowers though… If you had different types in one tent for instance, would some terpenes exchange between them from airflow and make them any different…

1 Like

I think it would be an interesting experiment just for shits and giggles if nothing else

Hmm a lot of the terps are produced in the stem (that’s why when you rub the stem you get a bitter version of the end terps) so theoretically as you dry the plant the grafted buds will suck up additional Terps from the base branches as water balances in the stems.

2 Likes

I would say it’s certainly possible in my completely inexperienced opinion ha… i wonder if a person were to do it would you try to do it like right before or maybe as buds are starting to form…or wait till after buds are formed? The only problem i see with waiting till later is the fact that apparently you have to have the lights on 24/0 i would guess for at least a week to let the graft take hopefully

I’d venture a guess and say you could do it with a 12/12 schedule as the graft point is supported… But we are talking in theoreticals here lol. If you’re thinking of trying it, just be prepared to have a lot of room to actually “scientifically” test if there is a difference…

You would have to have a tent for each strain by itself as the controls, and a tent for the “fusion” plant. Try to elimate as many variables as possible. Same curing process. Same amount of ambers on the buds maybe… Just stuff to think about before you invest time into it if you want to do it in a albeit over the top, but thorough manner.

Apply the scientific method to everything lol

I have talked to @MaD-VapoR about this very dilemma in the past. We were talking about how it would be nice to definitely determine, possibly even with a quantitative outcome, how effective certain growing methodologies, products, and other controllable variables effect cannabis plants… But you’d need like 100 plants to do it right in a “scientific” setting… And that’s per experiment.

Sometimes it’s obvious when something works after use (like Real Growers Recharge, at least in my case) but it would be even better to have an answer to how MUCH of a difference it makes.

Sorry I smoked a lot, I’m rambling… XD

Actually I didn’t smoke that much… Maybe just some talkative stuff haha!

1 Like

Lol my brain rambles about stuff too and lately it’s been consumed with this subject since im finally giving it…or trying to…a legit try and effort to grow. I believe at some point i will play around with things. It’d be at least mildly interesting to play around with

1 Like

Have you looked at Hellraisers grow journals? He’s the guy I’ve been “looking up” to.

Ive started my way through a few different topics and categories on here, there’s quite a bit to read on some of em… have not made it to him or his stuff tho

1 Like

He’s a really cool dude. Find his journal, and type in a question in the search and you will probably find an answer…

1 Like

:metal:Right on man thanks ill definitely take a look

1 Like

The reason i asked if the scion branch/bud would blend properties of itself and the rootstock is because i thought i had seen something before (cant remember the plant off hand) where something that was grafted to another plant took on the properties of the host/rootstock and ended up having different color tones and whatnot… so it makes me think that the branch or buds on that branch might have both strains properties…as well as the theory that damaging a stem or stalk of a plant makes it go into overdrive potentially increasing the thc content… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I recall reading about grafting different types of plants. Like multiple fruits on the same tree. A lot of apple trees are grafted.

I would think you should be able to graft a Northern Lights onto a Jack Herer and you could grow a plant that’s half and half.

2 Likes

Yep yep that’s the thought i have too…i think it’d be worth a shot …that’s funny cuz for some reason i thought what i saw back whenever was about an apple…not sure though

1 Like

Plants man. mind blown

1 Like

to me the question would be when to graft … the things ive read say ya gotta have24/0 lighting and wrap the joint in a baggie to keep high humidity around it…so that would be problematic if you’re in flower stage (but i think it would be best to do it after buds are formed) …or ya do it a lil before flower stage/maybe right at idk and see, cuz it would have all the properties of the original plant yet as long as it took properly it would then be fed by the host plant so you’d think it would be crossed in some way…