Out door grow. Do you use potting mix or garden soil

Hello growmies good morning and good day.
If you’re like me you’re getting excited about the upcoming out door grow season. If you live in the west coast we all know this is not for you guys. Yous are the lucky ones to be able to grow outdoors all year round. But us here this is the time. My question to all is for out door do I stick with a potting mix or do I go with a garden mix. And when should I start germinating my seeds so they can be ready for out there. I’d appreciate any help in this. Also I’m going to make a live soil. I was told by a friend that I should put real worms in the soil so that can keep replenishing the soil with castings. What’s your thoughts on that.
Thanks for any help

4 Likes

You want a soil that is properly buffered for cannabis such as a Fox Farm soil, Black Magic, or Roots Organics.

Avoid any soil that says “Feeds for x months” or “Moisture control.” Soils that contain time release nutrients nuke your plant with nitrogen and submarine your pH every time you water and moisture control soils aren’t good because cannabis needs wet/dry cycles for good root health.

There have been a few discussions about this, but I don’t recall more than a handful of growers that have attempted this. Worm castings aren’t necessary and it is very inexpensive if you do chose to use it. Only a couple dollars per pound of worm castings. Seems like a lot less trouble than trying to run a worm farm. The microbes already in good cannabis soils help process nutrients much like worms do.

I stopped using worm castings a few years ago because it never made a difference in my grows.

7 Likes

I really enjoying adding worms to the garden every year. In our situation the worms feed in the green mulch layer. They eat the mulch and transport it down under the soil leaving worm casting. This help transport nutrients from the top into the mix. The worms also help in air rating the soil. They do so amazing stuff.

We run 10 plants outdoor each year. I like to add the worms about the first week of June. We run 100gallon grow bags. I think last year we swooped up 1000 from Uncle Jim’s online. Highly suggested.
I also add a nice supply of worm castings to our teas each time.

In my opinion adding worms to an outdoor grow is very cheep and easy. I feel like the positive benefits, even if very small, is definitely a plus.

22 Likes

That is a beautiful garden. That would be my happy place :blush::v:

7 Likes

Spectacular!!! Your own forest of yum.

4 Likes

Just omg, G being garden…

1 Like

I have a BS in Forest management, if you need assistance, just saying, dear friend.
Awesome, I should be lucky to grow like this.

3 Likes

Wow I’ve never seen anything like it before. Question y are you letting it get so big.

1 Like

Because he can!

2 Likes

Duh I know he can he’s doing it. Y such an ignorant comment I’m interested in knowing what the benefits of allowing it to get so massive. Is the bud better of course I know he’ll have a to. Of yield. Is because he can the only reason. Matter of fact now I don’t even want to know especially from you and can do without your comments. I’m here to ask questions to learn. But I’ve been seeing slot of this on this forum. The ones who have been here for a while not all so if it don’t apply. Think there the I don’t want to curse so I’ll say dookey. It’s like a click of some growers they think they are above everyone else and I think that’s kinda high schoolish. In the futur you do t have anything educational to tell me. Something to help me. If not so t say nothing to me. I do t want any negativity in my life so stay out of it.

It all depends what zone your in and the estimated last frost date.

I sprout seeds on st Patricks day and grow in my window till mothers day and then they go in the garden and grow bags.

This time of year I’m getting my garden amended with manure. Just got 4 bags of chicken shit. Opened it up to age in the soil and it was full of hundreds of worms! Was the best part of my day… even called the wife to come see.

Definitely looking forward to the season.

Happy gardening

3 Likes

Bro, I meant no disrespect! Just saw a chance for a funny! Hell, I wish I could grow outside and get yields like @HippieRunner1 but I get hit by rains in the fall. So apologies if I offended you, def not my intention! Check any of my other posts, you won’t find any disparaging remarks, not my nature!

5 Likes

:exploding_head:v​:seedling: :potted_plant: :palm_tree: :palm_tree: WOW!

No problem I apologize to for being to quick to judge.

4 Likes

Haha good question. Well…. I love cannabis I guess to get down to the point. It’s simply amazing what the plant can do when given the correct environment. It can be a beautiful beautiful thing.

We run full outdoor full sun. If I could I would go even bigger. The garden supplies smoke to many members of the family. Saves a ton of money. :wink:

4 Likes

What sort of trees are you growing :thinking:

1 Like

Sequoias :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love it man. I’ve never seen anything so beautiful before. Lol

1 Like

Question hippie once I switch the lights over to less than 12 hours when will I start to see them flower

1 Like

I switched them over 3 days ago

1 Like