Oscillating fan

Setting up tent for my next grow. Needed to reconfigure my floor space. I’ve got a 18in. Oscillating fan on a floor stand. Should fan run 24hr or just while lights are on. @Myfriendis410 @PurpNGold74 and anybody else who has a idea about this.

1 Like

I run my fans 24/7

5 Likes

Thanks, @Drinkslinger it’s funny I was getting ready to edit and tag you

2 Likes

This is the best site, I was in the middle of my reconfiguration and this question occurred to me. I had a answer in less than a minute, lol.

2 Likes

18” is fairly large. I’d aim it “around” the plants. You want them to all sway to a gentle breeze, not hunker down through a hurricane.

I actually have several fans going. Some lower, some higher.

It is a great forum.

10 Likes

Mine are on 24/7 too. I’d suggest doing like @Drinkslinger said above.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ll keep it on low and oscillating. Got a good deal on it off a auction site.

2 Likes

Run the fans 24/7. This will help the stalks to gain strength so it can hold up the flowers when they get top heavy.

4 Likes

Funny that. My colas always end up having to be strung up.

5 Likes

I grow big colas and I have run a fan at them 24/7 from the time the seed w/tap root into my grow buckets. Then straight into the grow tent with a fan blowing at them.

1 Like

I’ve grown with fan on during lights on and off during dark time but with air exchanger running. Seems to work equally as well. In nature night time is typically calm. I know indoors is not necessarily emulating nature but nature does teach us some things. I do think relatively constant air exchange is important, more so than wind.

1 Like

I will have to concur with all above. They are spot on. I mine set 24/7 also. I also have mine set up so that the top one. And the bottom one hot the plant at the same time so, when they are not hitting it, they have time to inhale, kinda like Obama and Bush both. They took a hit but, didn’t inhale. I call BS on that. If you are blowing your fan at your plants t blow bad air away, you need to give them a few seconds to inhale the good air, before hitting them again. Just my opinion, not a fact. In my opinion, if you constantly blast them with aiir, they don’t get a chance to inhale. This is just my opinion but, if you think about it, it makes a helluva lot of sense, in my opinion. Your plants need a chance to inhale and exhale, just like any living organism. I’m out getting too deep into my theory, but think about it :+1::+1::grinning::grinning::grinning::v:

3 Likes

Sorry, A little waisted on that post. Mine are set at 24/7 also. I try to hit the plant with both fans blasting at the same time. That way when the fans are not blowing on your plant it can inhale the good air instead of the bad air that you just blew away, think about it. Like I said earlier, just my opinion. I just read my post and was a little dazed and confused myself and had to clarify my thoughts

1 Like

I like to use two 6 in fans and keep on 24/7.I also tiewrap me a 2 by 2 square post to the round tent pole. That gives me a place to clip my 6 inch fans and move them up as the plants grow. The clip on fans don’t work well on round post. Happy growing

2 Likes

I have 6 inch clip ons, that’s a good idea because you’re right they really don’t stay on round poles. I came across 3 of the 18" oscillating fans on auction site got them for less than half of retail price. I got room in tent for one, thought I would give it a try. Like I said it occurred to me while I was setting up tent whether I should let it run 24 hr. Definitely will keep it on low and oscillating.

1 Like

Keep that air moving will head off any problems with mold and mildew. Sounds like you got a deal on your fans.

1 Like

Seriously, if you have a good air exchanger going on, there really isn’t any reason to keep hitting plants with fans during dark time. Perfectly acceptable to give them a few hours without wind. Since the Rh spikes after lights out it’s probably best to vent that humidity unless you have the room for a dehumidifier. Frankly, I kill 2 birds with one stone by venting RH. I can save some electricity by not running dehumidifier and fans all night too.

1 Like

I have the opposite problem, my humidity is constantly low. Just acquired a Aircare whole house humidifier. Last grow I was running 4 evaporative humidifiers on a Inkbird controller. Lights on and they were constantly running. Currently running lights on to test Aircare humidifier it seems to be working great.

I use a wood stove all winter so my RH is pretty low once it starts to snow. I find that once the plants start to fill the room the RH tends to rise enough to not worry too much.

1 Like

I plan on running on low, and oscillating. It’s probably not a huge problem either way. As long as I have good air flow, all will be good. Thanks I really appreciate everybody’s response. It’s great to get different opinions. I was just reading a new post by @Duddles. It really made me appreciate this forum and all the people on it.