Organic soil/coco questions

So I haven’t started my grow yet but for my pots im doing x4 5-Gallon pots, I have 20 gallons of pure coco brick, 4 lb of worm castings, 4 gallons of perlite, and I’m using the IHGM organic dry ammendments thought the grow, mycorazze for 4 transplants, will that be sufficient or should I get a bag of natures living soil with it? I’m trying to stick all organics but this is my first time and really want the most bang for my buck as for as quality, Dont care too much about yield as its for personal use

5 Likes

If you want to be growing in coco, use the coco. If you want to be growing in soil, get some soil. In my opinion, don’t mix them without a clear and discernible purpose for doing so. Cannabis in coco likes a ph around 5.8. In soil, it prefers 6.5. That’s just one of many complications you’ll encounter by trying to mix the two.

IMO coco with some perlite for drainage, mycos for good microbes, and a small addition of worm castings to give the microbes “somewhere comfortable” to live is more than sufficient for the grow medium.

6 Likes

Absolutely agree with the above. Yes it works to mix, but ull be inviting more headaches then ur equipped to deal with as a new growers.

Use what u got, the coco should be plenty and alot of growers actually prefer it for speed of growth, its a good deal faster then soil honestly. I prefer soil myself… diff strokes for diff folks.

What strains are you looking at?

And do you have a light source chosen?

6 Likes

This plant of mine is grown in coco coir with peat and perlite mix and i use all natural organic nutrients

U can use coco and its not a headache to do so just have a look at my girl and i my ph in my run off is 6.9 and my ppm in the run is 649

1 Like

Here’s my mix.

4 parts coco coir
1 part composted manure/worm castings
1 part perlite.

This is good for seedlings and rooted clones for about a month. Once I transplant, I add dry amendments at half strength. After that I top dress once a month.

2 Likes

Im glad im not the only one who uses Coco coir with organic matter i put worm castings and bat guano and volcanic rock dust and superworm frass

5 Likes

O im biting… elaborate! Superworm? Lol

Superworms are a species of beetles. Look like huge mealworms in the larvae stage.

Frass is insect manure or skin shedding that is a source of chitin . … Chitin is a natural fertilizer for plants that increases the immune system of plants to fight off root rot and harmful nematodes.

1 Like

Got the frass part. Poop and skin etc. the superworms through me off.

Beetles you say? Bet the calcium alone is worth it!

1 Like

There like meal worms but alot bigger the superworm frass is also called insect frass

1 Like

@Mrcrabs was preachin the gold of black soldierfly larvae frass awhile ago. Similar im guessing?

1 Like

Yah i think it is the same

1 Like

These are superworms im breeding them and collecting the frass myself

3 Likes

As u can see getting right into it

1 Like

Awwwwwww :bug: :heart: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :blush:

1 Like

With breeding the superworms i get my fertilizer and i can sell the superworms for food for frogs and lizards and for birds or fishing

2 Likes

This is my line up of organic nutrients

All this is what im goin to use in my next grow but some it i am using now

2 Likes

What pH do you water at, I’m using what I got which is a shitty water PH pen from viviosun and a “in” soil analog PH meter from Lowes

So just stick with the IHGM organic dry nutes and I should be cool just following the feed schedule? And for light I’m using a 4x2 tent with x2 T22s by ac infinity

Well i got a $30 ph pen that does ph and ppm i ph my water at 7.0 cause the microbes in my soil fix the ph for the plant

1 Like