Organic Soil 101

Yah if you have put worm castings put those in and u will be right to go

1 Like

There are other dry amendments DR Earth, Down to Earth, Coast of Maine and if your in Canada Gia Green

1 Like

Its all about micros and bacteria when growing organic it’s like your plants being feed with a spoon. You don’t have to flush chemicals from it and the flovor smoke tastes are much better

4 Likes

Can i use these to start my compost? I harvested my grow this morning and have my 7 5gallon fabric pots with root ball.
I used the fox farm trio, cal mag, and bembe in this soil. I have flushed with de chlorinated water for the last 15 days, or should i start fresh. PS: The soil is happy frog, perlite mix.

3 Likes

I do not know fox farm at all but if a living soil reuse. Gets better every round if kept alive. Reammend…cook a bit then plant. Just what i have been doing organic. I reused all my soil when using nutes also. Just filled 4 5gal today and put seedlings in. took 20 gal old soil ammended and put in some worm castings and 3 packs of live worms. Not canadien…lol. they cant take the temps here.

2 Likes

You could reuse it right away, but I think you will have better results if you re-amend and then rest/compost the soil for a couple months.

I’ve heard of a product called “cannazyme” which will break down your roots if you don’t want to wait for the worms to eat them.

It gets better over time if you don’t till because this allows mycelium networks to develop undisturbed. These networks feed forests.

3 Likes

I was thinking of putting these in my container and adding a 5gal bucket or so of fresh 70/30 HF perlite to it, dampen it with water and add a few boxes of night crawlers. I was wondering if the nutes i used in my grow would be flushed enough to reuse this soil. @Storm do you leave those worms in the soil with your plants?

2 Likes

If they live. Hard to diggem out…:grin:

1 Like

@HRBJr, the leftover nutes are just fine wherever they’re at. It all breaks down to the same stuff especially after the worms digest it.

Yes, you will be growing with them as well. They’re a key to making it all work, I think, to where you just add water for 4-6 months. The worms are in there making you some fresh fertilizer and microbiology all the time.

The fresh potting mix isn’t the best choice though for re amending. Save that for your next grow. Breaking down the carbon component (your old roots) requires a lot of nitrogen. You need to boost that when you reamend. You don’t want to go with something like straight blood meal though, nature enjoys a diversity.

Learn about your organic inputs and what they can provide and think about what your soil seems to need. Maybe you have to think about adding more cal mag. Just a common example, to be clear, not saying you specifically were having that problem.

4 Likes

@CurrDogg420 @Storm @dirtydave @Reed71 @Aussie_autos
Just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and help with preparing my organic soil. Here’s what i have come up with so far and hope ya’ll don’t mind a couple more questions. I did cut down and twisted out a few inches of the large tap root, leaving in all the smaller ones. I did break up the root balls a bit so i could get them to fit into my container. I did mix in roughly 10 lbs (1/2 cubic ft) of worm castings. I dampened the soil, dug down to bottom of container to make sure soil was moist throughout. I added four boxes of red worms and they didn’t seem to mind the soil and dug in quickly… Questions 1- Will i need to feed the worms anything? I know a couple people that raise a few worms and they save there coffee grounds and dump in there worm beds? 2- Would it help anything to add some microbes to the soil, recharge… Fox farm microbes.? 3- What would be the earliest i could start to grow in this soil?
I have grown a few plants outside back in the mid- late 70’s, took a bucket of rabbit poop from under the rabbit cages mixed up in dirt, once they got going good would add a little chicken poop. Learned real quick not to add much chicken poop and dont put it too close to the plant. I grew up when gardening was what you did to put food on the table. I still enjoy gardening today and plant every year. Its my therapy!!! Here’s what i have going on so far…

???

One of my gardens

As always, Thanks

4 Likes

Ur garden looks healthy as ,have u put ant other dry amendments in ur soil like kelp meal and alfalfa meal fish bone meal and sea bird guano and volcanic rock dust fertilizer and superworm frass and mushroom compost if you have this type of stuff in ur soil already the worms will feed on that and they will get it ready for ur plants to uptake

1 Like

I was trying to go to bed @HRBJr, why you gotta post these awesome pics of your garden man. :sunglasses:

Need some extra N to help break down the Carbs and stuff from the roots. But after that comes the fun part. It’s your soil, what goodies do you want to have available for your plant? Don’t forget to add a touch of the native soil for silica and good luck. :+1:

3 Likes

Lol, sorry brother, good night

Have a look at these buds done all organic

5 Likes

Nah man, just the worm castings. Any suggestions???

A good mushroom compost and blood and bone or fish bone meal either one or both kelp meal and alfalfa meal and bat guano that will get you goin

2 Likes

@HRBJr feed them worms food scraps anything that comes from garden or kitchen add small sticks, leaves make them worms fell at home

2 Likes

Great looking gardens. You must put some time in to maintain those beauties. What ya do with the harvest? great growing :bat: :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :

Thanks, once i get what i can use i let my family and neighbors pick the rest.

@CurrDogg420 @Reed71 @Aussie_autos @Storm Good morning all, my nephew brought me a 5gal bucket of chicken stuff and was wondering how much should i add to my 55 gallon container. Also do i need to mix it throughout the container or can i just mix it in the top couple of inches of soil. My container is just about full to the top and im going to have to transfer into something larger, thats going to be a heck of a project and hate to disturb what i already have started. I have decided to wait until sometime in september to start another grow so im hoping to have everything dialed in by then. @CurrDogg420 you mentioned i need to add some dirt for silica, is there something i can buy to mix in for this or is the dirt the best way to go. Im hoping to get everything in when i re mix this time so i dont have to disturb until around september. I know everyone has there own ways of tweaking there soil but all suggestions appreciated. As always, Thanks

1 Like