Ordered a NIWA. Worth it?

I’m going to try cloning from outside to start; that way I get a dry run before ordering seeds from ILGM for the winter. Here’s a pic out my window now . . .

1 Like

light $89

Hydro system $65

Found spill tray and fan lying around. Plant food now included.

Total $154

(Yeah. I know I’ll spend more! just TRYING to keep it small!) ;D

They can be fun little units good to learn with for sure

2 Likes

I have the idea that rotation is important, so I’m thinking I’ll get a second light, another pump, try to equalize veg and flower, and clone at about the same time that I rotate. I’ve got a big storage space above my garage, and I was thinking about putting one light on one side, and the other light on the other side – and forgo any tent. Will that work? Can I block/screen the light from the 18 hour enough so as not to screw up the 12 hour flowering plant . . . without tents? Hmmm.

fairly easy but must make sure they are in the dark during night cycle I use panda plastic like curtains to seperate my 3 lights in one room :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Donald!

I loved the movie, but it actually left me kind of sad. Jerry.

I would definitely recommend it. Wild story from the beginning. Of course the movie has music throughout, but the focus is on the story.

Lights, hydro . . . arrived. So, time to clone:

1 Like

(Kind of a redneck clone . . . !)

3 Likes

Good job👍looks great

Yeah I miss him lots brother
On a good note I looking in to get dead and company tickets for this summer :+1: Will be my first since Jerry left us :thinking:

2 Likes

I live in the SF Bay Area, so I get a lot of chances to see various incarnations after Jerry of Phil and Friends, Rat Dog, Further . . . I’ve met both Phil and Bob, and I’ve played with Bob a few times at some jam session/ parties. A bit of a thrill! He might even know my name! (Ok. He might not . . .!) :blush:

Here’s a song of mine that’s maybe slightly reminiscent of the Dead: The Corner | Jack Foster III

1 Like

So it’s been a week. Still no root visible coming out of the root plug, but I figured I would put her in soil anyway, since I’ll be going out of town for 4 days. I’ll leave her outside where she’ll get some sun; but hopefully not too much.

About a half a week ago, I didn’t think she was going to make it. She and her sister clone were ultra-droopy. I sacrificed sis just to see what was going on. I opened up the plug and . . . not even the smallest sign of root growth! Ugh. Maybe I had screwed up by not having a real propagation tray.

So I changed my strategy. I had read: “Just leave the clones alone!” And of course, there’s the “don’t overwater” rule. But how can you over-water when there’s no root system? :smiley:

So I switched tactics, and watered with the clonex solution every 3 or 4 hours – just a single pipette’s worth, right down the shaft of the stem. She started to perk up a little bit daily, so I’m guessing the strategy worked.

I’ll give her bit of time to strengthen the root system, and then try to move indoors to hydroponics.

2 Likes

Right on brother just saw this post I can dig it
Your lucky to be out that way
She’s not dieing and looks like new growth is forming on top ?

1 Like

Equipment-failure-caused disaster. I had moved the clone to dwc. It was growing and looked pretty healthy, but I had the plant growing off to the side a bit, and probably too deep in the waterfarm, so the leaves were constantly getting splashed, and were always wet; I didn’t think that was a good idea. So I bent down the watering loop to try to get the water lower, and avoid the splash. When I was gone, the loop came undone, flipped outside of the system, and emptied the reservoir bucket onto the floor! The plant was without water for over 24 hours and died.

I’m actually not too disappointed; learned lessons about cloning and the waterfarm. AND . . . we were going to go on vacation during the grow, and I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to deal with that.

I just order 20 AK-47 auto seeds from Robert. I’ll go ahead and complete the NIWA transaction when they have it for me, and grow some plants side by side in the two systems as a comparison. Plus I already have 6 ladies growing outdoor – so now I’m legal again here in California!

I’ll resurrect this thread when the NIWA comes in later in the year.

cheers!

3 Likes

Hey man, interested in any updates on niwa ya may have.

Hi Bryan. Here’s the last e-mail I received from them . . . about a week ago:

Hello Niwa Community,

We are happy with the progress this last month and we are so close to shipping out your Niwa’s

Manufacturing:

Our trip to China was intense we already produced first units of our molds and completed our first iteration solving small problems. We also assembled several units in the factory to determine the process of assembly and quality control.

Additionally, we continued functional tests with the final components and all of the tests have been satisfactory. The most important setback we encountered so far was with our water reservoir. According to our specification, it should be completely transparent but our molds supplier had an issue and we are working on alternative solutions to have it solved in the coming days.

On the other hand, we worked with the manufacturer on our packaging making different tests with different designs. We built several prototypes based on different packaging, which helped determine the final measurements as well as the weight which impacts our final shipping cost. Once we have our final model we will perform vibration and drop tests to ensure Niwa One arrives safely to all of you!

Lastly, our next objective is to give a final polish to the molds to obtain a high gloss finish. We will also begin with the process of obtaining the quality certificates, for which we will provide a series of units that will be subject to strict tests necessary to obtain CE, RoHS and FCC certifications.

Software:

After many hours of testing, we have worked on the optimization of our firmware and small changes in our mobile application. We are evaluating different improvements/features to the original software that will make the user experience better for all users. Aside from adding different features, the first version of our software V.1 is nearly complete and now we need to review the copy of the application and prepare some videos.

Logistics:

We’ve completed our work for fulfillment into all inter-European and U.S. orders along with all VAT preparation necessary for EU backers. To add to that, we’ve narrowed down a select group of logistic partners for units going to Asia, Middle East, Oceania and South America. From our recent trip to our manufacturing partner, we’re on schedule to start manufacturing at the end of the year.

Sales:

We’re preparing to launch our new website in the coming weeks to better communicate with our community, showcase our products better and present more informative content for our entire community to enjoy. Our new website will have a Shopify back end to better streamline all ordering off our website.

Miscellaneous:

At the moment, we continue with our proposed plan, therefore we expect to start a series of productions before the end of the year. We started purchasing necessary components for manufacturing, and according to the meetings we’ve had with certification laboratories, it shouldn’t take long to obtain our certificates.

We continue working and we will keep you informed!

Javier & Zachary

1 Like