Opinions on how to get denser buds

I just harvested first grow. Blue cheese autoflowers. I noticed the buds are not very dense. I was running around 800 ppfd on the highest colas. Do i need to crank up lights on next grow for better results? I think i have adequate light to turn them up if it would help.

Hey @Bigb2 I grow out doors try and spread your colas apart on each bud sites that what I do create more room to fill out other people here might have a different idea.

4 Likes

@Derwyn86 I thought i had them spread ok. None of the colas seemed shaded. The top cola had pretty much same airyness as the lower ones.

3 Likes

@Bigb2 so each cola made-up of heaps of smaller colas try spread them apart I take a photo of mine b4 and after so you can see the difference. Your girls look awesome.

2 Likes

Are these pictures the buds that have been harvested? If so, how long after this picture did you chop?

2 Likes

@HMGRWN They are the buds. They were harvested about 10 days after pic.

Probably would have been much denser if you waited about 3 more weeks or so.

3 Likes

Grow photoperiods

10 Likes

@HMGRWN i should be able to fix patience. Thanks for the feedback.

3 Likes

@Bluntsmoke photos do better than autos for buds? I have another batch of autos sprouted, but i have some photo seeds i could try after that.

3 Likes

I waited until nearly every leaf was gone before chopping this one. It was about a week after this picture and a little over a week ago. Still drying, almost done, no final weight yet.

The Cannabis Ruderalis that they breed into autos to make them flower like they do makes very airy buds. Some of that carries over. They try to strike a balance when breeding seeds where it flowers automatically but still makes decent buds.
This is what the pure strain looks like.

4 Likes

Open up like this be careful but.

2 Likes

Not sure if i want to know the weight that girl. She probably will out weigh all three of mine combined.

I can definitely see similarities between mine and the pure one.

1 Like

I think you may have had a nutrient deficiency during the flowering stage which may have prevented you from getting denser buds. Off hand it looks like cal-mag problem, but it could have been something else.

Next time if your leaves start to spot or yellow in flower ask for help from the forum, I’m sure the people here can help the plants thrive throughout the flowering period which should help get better results.

Happy growing….

5 Likes

This oddball eventually gave up a little over 1 oz but I think I cut it too early. It was very airy.

2 Likes

From my experience some but not all strains of autos tend to have Fluffy or airy buds.
Good luck

6 Likes

The first one went in grove bag today 67g. I’ll take it airy or not.

3 Likes

I’ve done a whole bunch of autos lost count but I would say airy loose buds are common to normal. And if you got 67g off that smallish looking plant then it wasn’t airy at all it was quite dense

3 Likes

Agreed. That is decent dry, trimmed weight for any one of the plants in the 1st picture. :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Genetics plays a big role In the buds being dense. I would say buy some quality autos from breeders like mephisto, Rocbud, night owl and ethos have some good genetics. The ilgm purple punch auto grew nice hard dense buds for me. But all the other autos and most of the photos I’ve got from ilgm are a bit on the airy side. Golden leaf photo grew nice hard buds as well

3 Likes