Only 5 seeds out of 10 came up. what went wrong?

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

I read lots of material about starting seedlings. I soaked them in water for 24 hours, then put them in a dark warm space between damp paper towels for a couple of days.
(I decided not to plant them outside due to the spring weather. see photo below). haha
Then I put them in an expensive seed starter soil with a transparent cover on them and placed them under T-5 bulbs as shown in the photos. After seeing the sprouts, I took the cover off of them.
I am keeping the temperature in the room at about 75 degrees. I have been spraying them with a little water twice a day.
Only 5 seeds out of 10 came up. I don’t know what went wrong. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

I would say possibly too much water. I germinated the same as you & put in pods (4) , unfortunately i drowned one of them with too much h20 before sprouting.

3 Likes

Is that newspaper you are using? The print and colored ink will get into your soil and make it toxic. Ever smelled a newspaper? Several white paper towels or unbleached coffee filters will do the same if u don’t want to use peat pots. But I would cut the bottom off a soda bottle and cover them up to increase the humidity and ride it out. You never know they still may sprout for u. Good luck looks like u are about to embark on a nice grow.

3 Likes