One tent One plant What light?

Hello and thanks for reading!

I have an 80cm (31.5") x 80 cm(31.5") x 160cm (63") grow tent set up
I am only planing on growing one plant (first ever grow)
Am thinking im going to grow using a full spectrum led light (wana keep things as simple as pos for first time / one light from start to finish)

My question is what size light would you all recommend for this size tent and number of plant?!?

And any recommendations of brands / models will also be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Matt

One plant in an 8x8x16 wow that’s plenty of room for at least 10-14 plants, hmmm maybe advance led 400 DS XML are platinum, they have that long extended design, are maybe three meizhi 1200 's are 4 Mars hydro 700 reflector series, Heliospectra are Apache Tech’s, man it’s what you can afford and 50 square feet per watt, hmmm it’s so many options you can do in that much space!

Hey Matt @man10101 welcome to ilgm!

If your just growing one plant (like me) then one of the 300 watt LEDs rated 140 true watts should be fine. I bought a generic no name on eBay that works well and looks like all the others on eBay and Amazon.

Anything more than that would be overkill for your space. Mine is like 19 inches x 29 and it’s more than enough!

2 Likes

I’m gonna do same grow, 1 or 2 plants in a 2x4 or 3x3 tent, would same 300watt led work?..never have grown anything before.

Yeah I think it would. The measurement for lights is pretty simple. Sq footage of your tent and the divide the true wattage by sq foot

So a 3x3 would be 9. Most 300 watt LED light have a true wattage of about 140 so 140/9 would be 16. Ideally 40-50 watts per sq foot is where you would want to be.

However one plant? One light is sufficient.

2 Likes

So a 3x3x6 , any 300-400 watt led brands will work!

@bob31 I think the LED requirements are 35 minimum and HPS/MH are 45-50. In any case for one plant 140 should be sufficient. If you start running 3-4 plants on subsequent runs, you will be under powered.

1 Like

MarsHydro Pro Cree II 128 I really like that model and it’s about 300 watts output I think .

1 Like

hi yoshi and thanks for the reply
Unfortunately my grow tent isnt as big as you think!
My mistake for not making it clearer!
Its only 80 cm X 80 cm X 160 cm
or
31.5" X 31.5" X 63"

8’ X 8’ X 16’!?! I wouldnt know what to do with myself!! (actually yes i do… grow LOTS of weed!!!)

2 Likes

Hello bob31 (again! u helped me with my first post about monitoring equipment)

Its nice to hear ur growing one plant with an led just like im considering!
I take it its going well?!?
Ive actually been looking at the 300 watt led lights too!

Hi yeah its only a small tent!

so for that size u think any brand will do?!?
do u have any experience with leds?!?
If so is there any brand youd recommend?!?
Or is here anything in particular i need to look out for when comparing different lights / brands?!?

Many thanks
Matt

that answers the question i just replied to your earlier comment with!!

many thanks!

Well @Savingpvtviper just cut down his scrog white widow with Viparspectra Led lights a 600 watt and a 900 watt , @Hogmaster has done tremendously great with his four Meizhi Led lights three 300’s and a 600 watt and Oldstoner has done great with a KingPlus and Meizhi , so yes it’s some low end models that are really producing and of course there are high end brands that simply works .

3 Likes

so just to confirm

my tent is (in feet)
2.6 X 2.6 (width X length)
so that would give me a sq foot area of 6.76?!?

so going by your 40 - 50 watts per sq foot means im looking for a light with 270 (6.76 X 40) - 338 (6.76 X 50) true watts

many thanks!

thanks again for your reply!

Its reassuring to hear of people who are growing led only
It was my first thought to go this way until i read a lot of reviews of people saying that leds dont work that well especially when compared to traditional mh / hps lights
think im gona go with leds now

Thats another thing less to worry about!!

yep, so if you use that formula, for a grow are wall to wall with plants it would need either a 600 watt or two 300 watt units. Two 300 watt units would cover better as they can be placed separately to best cover.

1 Like

ummm… wall to wall with plants…

maybe one day!
ill be happy with growing just one really good one at the mo!!

well thanks to yoshi and bob31 ive now decided to go with an led light
Thats another of my questions answered!

Have just seen VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W for ÂŁ79 and the 450W for ÂŁ120 on amazon

Im thinking the 450W as its states
“Perfect for a 2.5x2.5’ growing area at 24” height (Max coverage 3.5x3.5’)."
And my growing area just happens to be 2.6 X 2.6!

Just wana say thanks again to everyone thats commented
Ive only been on here for a day and ive had a lot of my questions answered already!
will soon be time to start buying some bits!
then itll be time for more questions!!

1 Like

and now just to confuse the matter even more ive just seen a review of the VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series

In the OPTIMUM GROWING COVERAGE section it states

300w – (136 actual watts) – 24″ x 24″
450w – (200 actual watts) – 30″ x 30″
600w – (276 actual watts) – 36″ x 36″
900w – (418 actual watts) – 48″ x 36″
1200w – (524 actual watts) – 48″ x 48″

so going by @bob31s method of calculating light needed by square foot of grow area i worked out ill need 270 - 338 true watts
so that means ill need the 600w if i go with the ViparSpectra!?!

I take it different brands have different true watt - advertised watt percentages?!?
looks like ill need to do a bit more research!?!

1 Like

This was my first grow with the 600 watt alone in a 4x4x7 tent

3 Likes