One month old....Smart Pots

First time using fabric smart grow pots and well growing for that matter
So after i water I like to move my plants around so it gets even coverage, i keep a towel under my pots to keep room clean and dry somewhat, changed out towel today and noticed roots growing outta the bottom of pots…is this normal for these to let small roots threw.

Hi !

Your plants most likely are in need of being repotted into larger grow bags.

I use grow bags as well. Today marks three weeks and one day of veg. They’re currently in 3 gallon bags.
Tomorrow I’m transplanting them in their final home of seven gallon bags.

Since your seeing roots grow beyond their environment you’ve been doing something right. :+1:

What size are your plants in currently and how old are they?

1 Like

There 4 weeks old and around 7" tall…heres a pic from week 3.20171030_230049
These are 3gal.

1 Like

Hi,

How long are you going to be in veg or have you flipped them already?

I would transplant as soon as you could into a five or seven gallon bags allowing the roots to have room.

Are you in soil only or a mix? Using perlite?

I’m asking for others as well that will come along to also help you in this.

1 Like

Yes soil only, i haven’t put into flower yet but there is a auto in the mix…

You had mentioned that you keep a towel underneath your plants in order to absorb excess moisture.

If you can, place something underneath your plants between the bag and the floor.

This allows for air circulation which allows for more oxygen to reach the roots as well as thwarting a possibility of any root rot to occur.

Again I would transplant into a five or seven gallon bag at this point.

4 Likes

Ya I guess I will, they started in small pots and transplanted them to these 3gl thinking it would be enough, i will up them to 5 gl because I don’t have to room for 7gl and my led wont throw enough light out to cover that big of area…Have your roots penetrated these planters? I need to put something under pots besides towel like you said I don’t need any rot of any kind. Thx

2 Likes

@Ky2high I agree with @Alton66: you should allow some air flow over the bottom if you can. The fabric pots will self prune any roots that poke through which is one reason people like them. You should probably stay in the 3 gallon pot with the auto but transplant up on the photos.

2 Likes

No , my roots haven’t gone through the fabric as of yet. :seedling:

1 Like

Generally the roots wont if there is an air gap around the outside of the pot. If they are sitting on a towel or the ground or something the roots will go right through the cloth and keep growing. Put them up on a couple bricks and they will be fine. Mine are in a tray that you can get at the buck store that you put muddy boots or wet shoes into to keep them off the floor. I have never gotten roots through a cloth pot.

For an indoor grow 3 gal is fine for Autos. 5 Gallon for photos and you’ll be fine. You can of course go larger for the photos but anything more than a 3 on an auto is a waste.

@Ky2high

Here is similar to what I was talking about

http://support.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/t/1st-serious-grow-blueberry-auto/14704/207?u=bob31

3 Likes

You can buy plant saucers on Amazon or eBay. They sell different sizes
They are about as expensive as the smart pots, but we’ll worth it. They are great for checking the pH of your runoff.

4 Likes

@Alton66 @Ky2high Not sure what the deal is, but on my 3 gal smart pots I used for my first grow, I put a layer of river rock in the bottom for the roots to use as purchase. I havent had any roots come through yet other than in one spot on the side of the bag of one. The layer of rock gives it purchase and will make the plant think it has hit bedrock and will push it back up.

I had to use the 3 gal due to the size of my tent and number of plants. Next time will use 5 gallon. But I think he does have options.

3 Likes

@cyberblast

That’s a very interesting thing to have done.
I can see the logic in it.

Are you doing that this time?

1 Like

GREAT idea!! I’m gonna use this :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Alton66 Yea, I put the rock in the bottom of all my cloth pots. Unless I forget. Sometimes happens. :smile: Well, one exception…the 1 gallon size fabrics. Too small. Would reduce the amount of dirt too much. But on the bigger ones, it does really help. The rock also will strengthen the roots that come in contact with it. Makes then larger, tougher. It also helps to drain the dirt some…gives a layer of drainage. It works.

1 Like

@GreenThunder be my guest. It does help the grow and the plants like it.

1 Like

What size rocks, please? Pea gravel to marble size or larger?

1 Like

Pea gravel or marble size is fine. I use clay pellets inside the bottom of my pots and I think it helps the drainage a lot. They’re not too expensive. I get them at the local hydro store. Now that I’ve been reading this thread, I’m putting some under one smart pot to see how it does.

1509988471215-511020371

4 Likes

Thanks for the answer. :smiley: I’m going to attempt making my own bags over the winter and am thinking about reinforcing the bottom three inches.

2 Likes

The good thing about clay pellets is that they’re real light so I can tell if a plant needs water by just lifting them up. I decided not to use pebbles because they made the bags feel so heavy, I couldn’t tell.

3 Likes