On a whim to becoming hooked

On or about August 18th I planted 7 bag seeds into an eight seed starter tray on a whim. I don’t live in a legal NE state so I’ve always been apprehensive about doing that. I had this tray on my deck railing not expecting much but after a few days two popped through the soil. Soon after I came to this site and got the Bible and read through that on top of so many good posts here. From reading them among other things I purchased a grow tent (24×48×60) and a VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 450W LED light.

All that was set up and ready on Sept 1st. I brought the two plants inside into their new home while transplanting them into larger pots with some Just Natural Potting Soil. It didn’t have any nutrients but it’s what was local. I ordered some FFOF and figured I’d transplant them into that soil when it looked like they were going to thrive.

In the meantime I also decided to geminate two unknown seeds from two separate bags. I soaked them in some water for 18 hours and tapped both and they sank. After a few more hours I noticed they both cracked so off into 1/4" deep seedling starter soil in a Solo cup. I happened to have a solder gun so decided to do some spirals upward that I’ve seen recommended here.

On Sept. 5th I noticed a discoloration on part of one of the leaves. I continued to monitor thinking it might be pH or nutrient related.

Then three days later more discoloration was happening on the same leaf. I began inspecting the leaf and a small larva dropped off into the soil. I came here for help and that can be read at Larva on one plant

This journal is going to start on that day. One of the geminated seeds happened to go through the soil that night as well so a good a time as any :blush:

After cleaning off and transplanting the two plants into FFOF they have been surviving. The two leafs of the one with the larva are curling up and most likely with die off. It looks like the rest is strong and going to pull through.

The one seedling is continuing to grow while the other unkown geminated seed still hasn’t popped through the soil.

Today pictures of them:


@tylan welcome to the forum, this is a great place to share your grow here. I’m on my first one, so I don’t have much experience, however I learned a lot from here. Since you’re not in a legal state, you didn’t mention getting a carbon filter for the smell. I would highly suggest that especially as they get older and smellier. If you’re in the middle of no where, no worries. If you have any questions for any of us just use the @ symbol and our name. More than welcome to follow along in my grow journal, I usually update weekly. Happy growing!


@Covertgrower Really loves his exhaust fan!! :wink: But I totally agree with everything you said!

Welcome @Tylan !! We’re looking forward to watching your grow flourish!!


@bluntley420 and my exhaust fan was on a budget! Haha. I was trying to help him to keep his grow “Covert”. :wink:


Good call!


Thanks @Covertgrower and @bluntley420 :grin:

Yeah I did buy one just haven’t installed it yet:

I ended up getting an inline fan (I think wrong one) and have it exhausting air out of the tent currently. I haven’t added an intake airflow yet because of current funds but I’ll end up getting something soon.

This is truly an awesome hobby with great rewards so I’m excited to be on this ride :sunglasses:


Well said @Tylan!!!



@Tylan intake fans are optional, as long as you have negative pressure in the tent. If you have the bottom vents open, and a circulating fan oscillating or stationary for air movement in the tent. Your fine. I do not have an intake fan, and its doing great in there. Hope that helps, glad you got a carbon filter though. Discretion is key to growing. Happy growing, its a rewarding ride!


You want to hang your exhaust fan at the top of your tent… heat rises… :wink:

Welcome to ILGM



Well duh I knew that but didn’t even think this time when setting that up. Nice catch :blush:. Although not the best setup probably it works for now and I’ll adjust later.


Wasn’t picking on you my friend… :wink:
Whenever I see something that don’t look right I will ask questions or make suggestions… :wink:
I just want to make sure that you can grow the best medicine possible… even the little things count sometimes… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:


Oh no worries I took no offense and appreciated the lookout :+1::grin:

It’s all good :wink:


A few days later and they definitely rebounded and started growing again. I’m wondering though if I should cut the two dying/dead leaves. I have to imagine they’re providing some help especially since the plant is so young. I’ll probably let them stay until they drop. These two are quite resilient! Much appreciation to @Countryboyjvd1971 for helping me through that initial panic :grin:. Also the one new seedling is doing good. The other one never came through. I’ll give it until Monday then pull it I guess.


Well it’s definitely been a good week for these girls. They rebounded well and are working on growing. Each day I see growth. I added two 6" clip on fans to the tent. Going to need some intake airflow soon as well as another LED light because they will be needing all the lighting they can get. Hopefully I’ll have both within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Pics of my current set-up and close ups of the girls:

Looks like a slight discoloration on some of the leaves. Wasn’t sure if I had the lights too close so I moved then up to what is shown in picture. Didn’t measure the distance though which I should do.


Day 35 for the twins and day 14 for their little sister. I’ve been spraying all three with a little bit of watering to the twins about once a week. I checked the pH of my bucketed water and the pH had risen slightly to 7 so I downed it to 6.5 and has stayed at that. I watered the twins in FFOF today so I could get some type of run off. The run off came to 7 so I pH downed the water a little bit and will continue to observe.
I don’t quite think the twins are ready for any major waterings even though they are 35 days old. They had too slow of a start but the last two weeks they sure have started to come into their own. I’ll probably need another two weeks before I can even think of topping them.

If anyone sees anything of concern let me know.


Days 41 and 20:

Picking up momentum on their growths. I’m thinking of FIMing the older ones very soon. I’m so very nervous about that but this is my learning grow and you don’t get better at things without making mistakes along the way. I want each of their currently developing nodes to get established better first. I’m also wondering if one is Sativa and the other Indica. I’m not sure though. They could be both the same for all I know. Thoughts?

This is the one I think is Sativa:

And this is the one I think is Indica:

And of course a picture of the younger one. I forgot to take it out of the tent for a better picture:


@Hoss29 welcome to my journal :slight_smile:

@Tylan their looking good . They kind of look like they could be hybrid of both indica and Sativa But I’m no pro so I could be wrong most they time a indica leafs are short and fat sativa leafs are long and skinny . Then you have hybrid that is a cross of both

@Hoss29 Thanks :slight_smile: Yeah, these are all bag seeds so I have no idea. The smoke was good though so I guess that’s all that matters. Really hoping they’re all girls. I’ll cry if they’re all males :cry: but if they are oh well. next grow is going to be from ILGM seeds that I have yet to purchase and I’ll use my experience to make that grow fantastic.

1 Like

Less bends the better