Old School all the Way: 1st Grow

@Borderryan22 Thanks! Yup–I always let everything in the garden (tomatoes, peppers, etc.) dry out well before watering again. I gave the girls a soak after putting them in the ground, and will water everyone else tonight (I was surprised how dry everything was in the pots). Looks like we’ve got 1/4" of rain coming Sun/Mon. That should be about right.

2 Likes

Here they are at day #44. They seem to be doing ok, I think. Now that they are out in the garden is there anything I need to be doing with/to/for them? Other than just checking them (several times) daily for overall health? Trimming? Training? Thanks! @Fieldofdreams @Borderryan22 @plumbdand @Gerant @Reed71 @Impatient

3 Likes

I am no pro but they are looking good to me. I have some cal/mag coming Monday along with captain jacks dead bug. They seem to be bug free at the moment but I think my girls could use some cal/mag to help with transplant and a bit of nuke burn. One of my girls leaves are curing and turning to a lighter green so hoping the new organic soil I transplanted them in will help as well as cal/mag. So yeah just check on your girls daily and aid them if they need it.

1 Like

@stockdogranch you can top or fim them to let limbs catch up and then start training or you can let them grow like they are and always keep good eye out for bugs happy growing my friend

2 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I would think the good soil should help.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I’ll keep an eye on them for a few more days and then maybe fim them. Since they just went in to the ground Wednesday I wanted to give them a chance to recover from the stress of going from being in a pot to the great outdoors.

1 Like

High,
I spend a lot of time with them. You will see what they need or don’t need. It all depends on what you want to do. Don’t be afraid they will recover. Unless you snap branches in half. I supercropped bent, tied down, and had good luck with all.
Watch for bugs. Ladybugs are good! Mantids are good leave them be. Above all have fun growin!
Pics are great keep them coming.
Happy growin
Ger

1 Like

Give them at least a week or two after transplanting to Fim if you haven’t done it already. Better to fim before transplanting IMO. Or you can super crop them

1 Like

Looks happy and healthy! Should start taking off pretty soon. That cage will be good when the branches get heavy from flowering.

1 Like

@Gerant Thanks! I realize (after so many years of veggie gardening) that I can start seeds and get a plant (pretty much any plant) growing well, but now that they’re up and running, I’m not sure what the heck to do with them! I will spend this week reading a lot!

@plumbdand Yes–I figured they needed some time to recuperate after the transplant. That gives me this week to read and decide what I’m going to do. Thanks!

@Borderryan22 Thanks! These tomato cages are much studier than the usual ones, and they flatten out for storage. This is exciting!

1 Like

Really cool! I gotta get mine out. Brought an auto out 13 days ago and she’s gone from 4" to 21" :grimacing:

1 Like

@Reed71 Thanks! Sounds like bugs are the thing to really keep an eye out for; I think everyone has commented on that.

1 Like

@Borderryan22 Woah! That’s amazing! I haven’t measured height, but I guess I could start! Now I need my tomatoes to take off so they can kind of hide the girls. The rain we had last night made everything look really happy.

1 Like

Rain water and sunlight make them look darn right sexy in the mornings!!! Hope your tomatoes boom too!!!

2 Likes

@Borderryan22 Thanks–I hope so, too!

1 Like

High,
This is a great place to learn. Listen to these people they know what they’re doing. Do not EVER be afraid of asking a question, someone has the answer and they will share it.
Happy growin
Ger

3 Likes

@Gerant That’s reassuring. I need to spend a lot of time reading before I can even form my questions at this point! But everyone has been really helpful so far in this journey.

3 Likes

An update on day #65. Two Afghan photos in the garden, enjoying Mother Nature.

I just trimmed off several huge fan leaves to help the lower growth get more sun (I’ve trimmed off fan leaves a couple of times before this, too). As far as I can tell, they are doing ok.

2 Likes