Old School all the Way: 1st Grow

Lol yes he did! Who Dey! On a side note I have a journal and having concerns with my girls can you visit it please? I’ll try to tag you.

The girls are spending a sunny day (but it’s still chilly–freezing temps last night) in the greenhouse with the tomatoes and peppers. I’m amazed at how much they are growing every single day! They are now at day #28.

1 Like

@gerant @plumbdand @impatient @reed71 Hey, everyone! So these girls are getting big really fast, and I’m getting anxious to get them into the garden (along with the tomatoes and peppers, etc.). What kind of nighttime temps do I need to safely put them out? We’ve still got some mid to upper 40s to mid 50s for the next month. Thanks!

1 Like

@Spudgunner when you put your other plants out long no frost is gone

That’s the thing. I’m not certain when that is here. I moved here (NE Ohio) last August after 47 years in SoCal. I put my garden in there in mid March. These temps here are so all over the place I’m just not sure. Looking back at what the temps there when I would put the garden in, it seems the temps were similar to what I have here now, but I sure don’t want to mess things up. Thanks!

1 Like

@stockdogranch ask your neighbors what’s the rule of thumb for planting tomatoes in your region and that’ll set you on track!!

2 Likes

Thanks–I’m hearing everything from Mother’s Day to Memorial Day. :roll_eyes: I think I’ll shoot for a few dry days in a row after Mother’s Day and just roll the dice! I’ve got way too many tomatoes and peppers, so I’ll put some in and keep some “spares” in the greenhouse just in case. If the tomatoes do ok, then I’ll put the girls in.

1 Like

High,
I go with May 26ish. I got them in last year on May 15 weather said no frost so I took a chance. Worked out well.
Happy growin
Ger

2 Likes

Im in ky i wait til mother’s day that’s the rule of thumb in northern ky im sorry I got you mixed up with someone else @stockdogranch you are on the other side of my zone planting time are little different not much though

1 Like

Its not temps its the amount of daylight and darkness. If you put a Sexually mature photo period plant outside before mid May it will start to flower then transition back into veg mode in june the transition takes 6+ weeks and then it has to go into flower all this back and forth screws the plant up. Keep it inside for 3 more weeks if you can.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks! Yeah–I’m in zone 6.

@plumbdand Got it. I’ve been putting them outside when it’s sunny, and for the past few days have put them in the little greenhouse during the day and then back in at night (with lights for a few more hours). So I need to have the sunlight hours outside similar to what they’ve had indoors when they go into the ground, right? I’m starting to understand. Thanks!

1 Like

Theres not enough sunlight hours yet. If you put a seedling out now, as long as it doesn’t freeze it wouldn’t be mature enough to flower

1 Like

Keep putting them out and bringing them in at night for some extra light.

1 Like

Got it! Thanks so much! I’m learning patience.

1 Like

Update at day #38. Still waiting for drier and warmer weather to get them out into the garden. The Afghan girls are definitely ready to get out of these pots. That might actually happen one day this week.

4 Likes

Day #41: I FINALLY got them out into the garden this morning! Now I just need the neighboring tomatoes to get huge to kind of camoflauge them lol. After weeks of babying them in the house and in the greenhouse, it’s kind of scary to just put them in the ground. :anguished:

3 Likes

@stockdogranch @Borderryan22 Ryan it’s right up your alley!!!

1 Like

They look good! Just be sure not to continuously water since there isn’t any real drainage. They should take off real soon!

2 Likes