Old School all the Way: 1st Grow

Makes sense. I’m learning…

1 Like

Yeah–I’ve done what I can to amend the soil since I got here in Aug. Still waiting on the cattle guy down the road to bring a load of manure. He’s promised since fall, but nothing yet.

2 Likes

Hope they make it ok until you can get them moved!

1 Like

Good! I didn’t know there was a possibility of recreational here in Ohio. That would be great! It made life so easy in CA! Yeah–the weather is pretty crazy right now, but I just figure it’s what I call “early spring” which means it could be anything from one minute to the next. I spent a year in the panhandle of NE, and that was totally crazy! I just want it to get dry enough to get the tiller into the garden area.

1 Like

Window sills for light and cannabis seedling aren’t the best match. I’d suggest a light to get the seedling off to a good start. If you depend on filtered light coming through glass you end up with whips that collapse from their own weight.
I only tried growing outside once. Caterpillars got to them, I started spraying and covering with a net too late. So have your gardening pest control ready.
Another option is to grow autos. They are day neutral so you don’t have to go into Sept or Oct when the sun is so low and weak when the plants are finishing.
Search the forum for Ohio or Michigan Outdoors. @Gerant is in MI, I don’t recall exactly where but he grows nice plants.

2 Likes

Ha sometimes you gotta scoop your own sh**. Show up with a bucket, shovel, and smile. Bud never hurt either.

1 Like

Yep we get to vote on it in November

1 Like

Yeah–I have lights on the 'maters and peppers, and the girls will join them under the lights in a few days when they are too big for the starter tray. I’ll check out Ohio and MI growers, too. Thanks!

YAY!!! (Apparently the system isn’t happy with just YAY as a response. It keeps asking me if it is a complete sentence. So I added all this. Sheesh!)

Needs a minimum amount of text to post. I love one word responses sometimes but I think they need to be 7 letters long

1 Like

Reading multiple posts will expose you to\new methods.
BEST site for good reading

2 Likes

High,
I use the sun, follow it from window to window and have had pretty good luck. Not saying lights would be better or worse , just saying I use the “window sill” for starting my girls.
Happy growin,
Ger

4 Likes

Thanks! That explains it.

WOW! Those are all super impressive! Do you start your seed right into the soil? And how big are they when you put them outside? I’m really encouraged to see what you end up with from the way you start them. Right now my windows are full of tomatoes and peppers; the girls will join them when they outgrow the starter tray. thanks for posting the pics!

1 Like

@stockdogranch you be fine putting your plants out with your tomatoes i live in ky and I put mine out around mother’s day

3 Likes

Awesome. Thanks!!

1 Like

Just checking out the old school. Thats how i learned with a shovel and a hoe. If you got to run a roto tiller through boy were you happy. But ya, my pops always said, he would rather get a late start than early on the mj, because they vegetate very fast. He would start 4 weeks after most others and ALWAYS end with the biggest plants. He was just old school farmers almanac guy. Damn i miss that grumpy old man. But, now you know and live and learn. Watch those plants turn out to be the best stuff you ever had. Never know till you grow.

1 Like

@Gerant very nice, are you pheno hunting or you like to grow a huge garden? Either way great job.

1 Like

I remember that picture. It looks like your growing in your front yard next to the sidewalk.

1 Like

It’s all a crapshoot, but should be a fun journey, and I’ll learn along the way!

2 Likes