Old plants, leaves for compost

Is there any harm putting the old plant matter through a mulcher and adding to soil for next seasons grow, just considering some worm food for the meantime of all the old plant matter-stems, old leaves cruddy bits n pieces put through a mulcher and added to soil

Sure you can. Make sure only that they are healthy and not having any infestation. It is better if they are free of pesticides also. :v:

Thanks for that info, I was a bit concerned that some thc might damage the soil, but the worms might actually enjoy it–hahahaha
Cheers

:joy: I am sure that those happy worms will decide to follow this forum and start growing by themselves hahaha
Happy growing! Cheers

My concern would be pathogens. I can’t say for certain whether your composting method can raise the temperature high enough to kill the pathogens we should be concerned about. I suppose that’s why regenerative agriculture involves many plots rotating through the same processes over many years. The theory is that your plot of soil isn’t used for the same cultivar in successive years, which makes it harder for pathogens to survive.

As far as tree leaves, I’d double-check that the particular species doesn’t have any negative effects, but tree-leaf mulch/compost is extremely valuable. Trees pull nutrients up from a much deeper network of roots than most of your common garden plants. I believe (will confirm) tree leaves are a great source of humic acid. They are certainly an important component of great compost.

I go really heavy on adding carbon to my compost bin, and then dose it with urine to keep up a sufficient amount of nitrogen when my garden clippings aren’t enough.

1 Like

thanks for the info, I just dug the shredded leaf and branches into the soil of my veggie patch, and along with some sheep poo I reckon that the worms should love it. I reguarly pee on my garden plants, veggies and lemon tree, but dont on my beloved DJ blueberry plants.

Thanks again for the help, cheers from Australia

1 Like