Okay people talked me into DIY lights

Hello everyone hope everybody is doing well. So I looking to get another light. The maximum I can spend is 200. I was asking on here last night what people thought between the spider 1000 and the hlg R-Spec. Somebody mentioned kit to put together . Several people were talking to me about DIY lights. Okay it sounds like fun and to know that I’m getting a quality light has more watts for a cheaper price I’m all about it. Soooooooooo any recommendations on parts and pieces I need? Again I can’t go over 200. My budget was 150 but 200 is Max. I have a 2 x 3 flower tent. Thank you in advance for everybody’s input. Happy growing

I have so many lights, really nice lights that work great…4 are in the box brand new.4 are in tents and been used for aprox 6 months. If you were near by I’d give you one to try.

2 Likes

Wow I do appreciate that offer. I wish I lived close by as well. I live in the Pacific Northwest

East coast here. I found on amazon lights for my 4x4 tents at 120.00 ea.light are critical. look up trhe size of your tent and find a light that fits your budget and follow the OEM instructions.

I’m really new to this but figuring it out fast with the help of good people here. What Ive learned is to much of something good (fertilizer) is not so good especially when you have the best intentions it will backfire…same with to much or not enough light.

2 Likes

Yes the people on here are great. I wanted to piece together a light. I already have a spider farmer 1000 and to 300w cheapos in my flower tent. Everything is good but it could be gooder. LOL. Figured I’d look into making a light equivalent to a spider farmer or hlg for cheaper. Then take the two 300w cheapos and put them in my 2 X 3 veg tent

2 Likes

So what I have done is standardize my equipment and process. I use the same equipment in all my tents.

Its easier to get replacements and easier to keep everything the same.

Process…process process. Trying to understand my failures to be better and take out all the variables.

2 Likes

In a 2x3 I would go with 2 288 boards from HLG. If you can search around and find the QB 120s then I would definitely go with those. Look on ebay as well to see if anyone has any of the 120s or the 288 quantum boards for cheap.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your time. I don’t know really what any of that means. I’m just learning about LED lights. I will start googling some of these names and see what I come up with. I was thinking about keeping my spider farmer 1000 in there just so I don’t have to cover so much space. And hopefully save a couple dollars. Stop time for nutrients and a few odds and ends. If it’s all right I might be hitting you up with some more questions. Thank you again for your time I do appreciate it

3 Likes

Here’s where you get smart on lights. Mine are diy and one fixture, without paying for heatsink material cost right at $200 each. If you have access to aluminum for free or cheap; this is the way to go.

2 Likes

Great. Thank you for your time. Heading there now

There’s hundreds of different components you could do this with, but pretty limited by $200 budget. The eb strip setup i gave you in the other thread is probably going to get you most amount of light for the least amount of money.

I have similar space (36"x20") my diy light cost about $350 at the time, and is less power than the build I gave you.

1 Like

Thank you I do appreciate your help with this. It is so Greek To Me. Maybe I should just consider the hlg R-Spec and put it next to my spider farmer?

Where abouts on the east coast if I may ask? I live not too far from the City of Brotherly Love…

2 Likes

Cotton is big here. lol

1 Like

I’m also interested where at on the east coast, city of brotherly love here :heart: Might be wanting to trade a HID ? :eyes:

1 Like

I do not think you can build a LED for under 200 bucks that would be worth the time, and effort

dbrn and I designed an LED a couple years ago, and to buy the parts for 1 4’x4’ light was minimum of 450 bucks for high quality compnents.

@dbrn32

3 Likes

I recommended a couple above.

OK. Well, I did not see any links and this was in the “buyer’s guide”. I moved ot to Indoor lighting in the indoor section where it belongs.

Thanks. I thought you may have something to add. Later Bro. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If Amazon sold them, would have been more than happy to provide a link. I didn’t realize link was required for buyers guide either, otherwise I would have been more than happy to move.

Perhaps something we should revisit as a group?

1 Like

That is what I have been trying to get together and teach/bring up to everyone. I will also clean this topic AFTER YOU GET THE MESSAGE

OOOOOOOOOOooooooooooosp “Damn” “CAPs”

1 Like