Oh no! Fungus gnats!

Can I use systemic houseplant insect control on my flowering plants they are on day five. I only found one gnat. How would you suggest treating them

I personally have never put anything on my flowering plant. Occasionally I use fly traps and ribbon. If you get creative with hanging them they will work nice.

2 Likes

@Mrniceguy1 do you just let soil dry out?

Yellow sticky traps should get u through and good airflow. One thing I noticed when I had an infestation is the sticky traps work like a boss if you hang them in the tent. Like yes have some at soil level but I caught soooooo many when I hung a string from my light with a sticky on it. I guess they were getting blown around were looking to rest saw yellow and was like oooh. Def try that to get u thru

3 Likes

I don’t see why that would hurt. Cannabis plants are fast growing annuals so if houseplants can handle it, I don’t see where it would hurt your cannabis plants. Have you ever heard of a company called Sierra Natural Science? They are out of California, and they are a Family owned and operated business that they started out of there garage. My favorite kind of company! They carry certified organic and some EPA exempt products. I swear by the products they have for pest control. Search sns nutrients. Here’s a poster they sent me. Had to split it into 2 pictures to get it all. 16143912152898268582910878225666|375x500 1614391458292168434831820681564|375x500

1 Like

There are many safe alternatives to gnats than chemicals.

Apple cider vinegar = place a small cup of Apple cider vinegar in your tent to catch them.

diatomaceous earth = Sprinkle a little on the top of your soil to eliminate the gnats.

sticky traps = Place a few in your tent and dispose of daily.

5 Likes

I do want to mention that I went on their site and was able to request some free samples of their products. They are so confidant in what they do that they know if they give you samples you will come back to buy more. They’re product’s are that good. This isn’t my opinion either. I spent about 35 minutes on the phone just talking about their products and growing. The guy I spoke with is named Mike, and he’s been with the company since the beginning. So he knows his stuff. Check them out, you won’t be sorry. Great prices too!

1 Like

It’s not gonna hurt your plant…its gonna hurt you if you ingest chemicals specially medical patients

3 Likes

When I had them i put 2 tbs of H202 in 1g of water. It really knocked them down. This does kill microbes so probably a bad idea for organic soil though.

3 Likes

I would leave a cup of lemonade/sugar water in my tent when I would get gnats. A lot of them drown trying to drink the liquid.

2 Likes

Yes if your in soil try letting dry out a little more before your next feeding

1 Like

Ask them for pyrolysis testing.

I would just avoid all insecticides and soaps that aren’t approved by the Oregon Department of Agriculture. They actually perform pyrolysis testing.

Just because a product is OMRI listed, or “Safe Through Harvest” does not mean it’s safe for plants meant to be smoked. All those listings are for food, and if you inhale that you have other problems. The FDA does not care if vegetable/flower applications become harmful if smoked; on top of that, many products are exempt from testing in order to be certified safe anyway.

Fungus gnats aren’t a significant problem @Justdc0930 Simply put 1-2” of rice hulls on top of the soil, and that will reduce their numbers. Sticky traps should always be used, but mainly to show presence of pests, not for remediation.

2 Likes

People and replies like these are why I LOVE this forum! Thanks for that info @KeystoneCops! You can NEVER have too much knowledge!

2 Likes

Have you ever checked out the Sierra Natural Science website or products before? For instance their SNS217 for spider mites. It’s made from Rosemary oil, and won’t kill beneficial bugs like predator mites. I’d be interested in your opinion on these because from your answer I can tell you have more knowledge than I on these matters. Thanks!

2 Likes

Mosquito bits. I always fought gnats but after finding and using mosquito bits I never have any.

2 Likes

I have no opinion. But I will say that those products are not prohibited from adding things other than their main ingredient, and that’s a common practice. It’s a frustrating situation.

I prefer biological controls, simple products, and mechanical removal (brush them, wash them, pinch them, trap them). Indoors I keep things sealed. Outdoors, I encourage predators, and focus on keeping populations low.

1 Like

Thanks, I definitely value your input!

2 Likes

use the mosquito bits here also.

1 Like

@MSN1978 Thank you I’ve been pushing SNS-203 for a while now very good stuff worked great for soil born and lead born insects

Sns203 is rose Mary oil clove oil and glycerin