Oddball Weed Strains

Maybe it’s time to come out of the closet… and get a bigger grow space lol

As you can see above, more recommendations than warnings against. I would recommend getting a mix-pack so you have a variety. (Posted while thinking about the 17 Superskunk seeds I have to grow 2 at a time LOL)

This may be a stupid question, but is growing your own better stuff than what most sell on the street??

You will ENJOY finding out :wink:

Hahaha. I wish. I don’t smoke weed, but I have a panel of friends that can review it for me :rofl:

And unless you have dispensaries near you with quality-controlled top-grade weed, it’ll be better than what you can usually buy on the street. You can grow a bag-seed, and end up with much better smoke than the original weed you bought.

Think raising your own tomatoes vice buying them at the market.

2 Likes

Well, where I live, “coming out of the closet” could land me in jail. Also, discreetness is key for me because I’d rather not lose my house to crazy asset forfeiture laws and other nonsense. Yes, I live in a backward state cannabis-law wise and I suspect where I reside will be one of the last places to change. My small grow closet is the one room in my house I could sacrifice and not have to cram stuff in other spots. It actually works out well given the amount of buds I produce for my wife and I and a friend who’s a cancer patient. I swear I’ll grow trees someday though…:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I converted my closet a little over 5 years ago. Based on what I’ve learned over the years I’d probably do it a little differently if I were to do it today, but it works fine. I did install an exhaust fan in the closet ceiling that exits air into my attic. I eventually added an intake fan that connects to 3 inch pvc pipe near the floor that extends into the room where the closet is (there’s also a fan with a thermostat controlled heating element that is used in winter). Both the intake fan and the heater fan sit under two pvc connected frames that the plants sit on. So outside air comes in under the plants and exits through them via the ceiling exhaust fan (the intake port is screened to prevent dust and debris from being pulled into the room). I don’t know the cfm of either fan but they work as intended. My light is a 150 watt LED with white and red led’s. The light coverage is 2 feet by 30 inches which works well but when this light quits I’ll likely upgrade to a 250 watt light with more intensity and greater coverage. One thing that doesn’t work as well as I’d hoped is that when the light and fans goes off and the air cools, less than discreet aroma comes out of the intake port :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. Just closing the door to the room where the closet is fixes that problem. Next time I’ll run the intake fan 24/7 to prevent that from happening. I’m going to harvest in about a month so that mod can wait for the next grow.

Sounds very similar to what I came up with. I think running the exhaust might be better than the intake for controlling the smell-o-vision. You could even have a rheostat to dial it down at night, but the constant negative pressure in the space (from sucking out) would be a better goal than positive pressure (forcing air in) because it may still find a way out of the space besides through the exhaust.

You might not have light leaks, but guaranteed a closet isn’t air-tight. So if you blow into the closet, it will come out of every possible exit, rather than being sucked in - from every possible entrance.

Hope I explained it right.

1 Like

Yes, you explained it correctly. And you’re right, the exhaust fan is the one that should run continuously. I’m hesitant to run the exhaust fan all the time right now because I’m concerned it might burn out. Replacing it in the middle of a grow would be a pain. That’s why I’m going to replace it with a better quality fan that can be easily changed out if necessary.

You will definitely end up with a product better than you can get on the street – and possibly on par or better that what dispensaries carry. I have a friend who is a genuine snob like I am. He has a very good connection and the cannabis he acquires is often very good, sometimes top notch. When I let him know I came across some White Widow (he doesn’t know I grow) and he sampled it, his eyes lit up and he said, “I’ll buy a pound of this right now if you can get it for me”. I pulled his chain by telling him it was a limited run and was no longer available :stuck_out_tongue: Not long ago he returned from Colorado with some Blue Dream. The buds were beautiful and dense but also were too dry and crumbly. The smoke was fine but when a joint was rolled of my OG Kush – again from a “limited exclusive run” (out of my dinky closet) – he preferred it to the BD he brought back. I’m not tooting my own horn here, I know I can improve in more than a few ways, but the results I’ve gotten so far from ILGM seeds have been stellar.

My thought is that even if grown to the exact same standards (home or dispensary/commercial grow), there is also the harvesting care and curing process at home that you may or may not see with the “get-those-buds-to-the-shelf-quick-we’re-running-low” weed :wink:

Oh, and if you get some really good but past-prime or dry weed I recommend using the Boveda packs. Seriously.

I love trying new strains! Last year, I did 9 different strains. I think Strawberry Cake photoperiod from Heavyweight was the most delicious smoke I’ve ever had in my life. I did an LSD-25 auto that had purple/black buds & smelled deliciously like Sugar Smacks cereal. I also did a white widow-big bud cross, which while not weird, had such an intriguing sour melon/cedar/skunk taste like I’ve never experienced before; it inspired me to try a strain in my next grow, called Sour Melon from Critical Mass Collective.

In a few weeks, I’ll be trying Jamaican berry, a super auto that’s 95% sativa; the sour melon; a blue cheese, a sweet tooth, a bloody skunk, a blue dream, and a pineapple crack. All autos.

2 Likes

Yeah, after reading a lot about drying and curing, my results have turned out quite well. But I think I’ve been more lucky than good. Humidity packs provide insurance and remove some of the guess work. I’ll be buying some soon. There’s a similar product out there called Boost, same concept. Boost packs apparently come with an indicator that supposedly tells you when the packs need to be replaced. But it looks like Boost are twice the price of Boveda.

When he said he would buy a pound, he would have died if you said ok, just one lmao

LOL The Boveda packs are easy. If they are still squishy, they are still good. If they are dry and feel like sand, they’re done. Pretty good indicator for half the price :wink:

1 Like

My friend and I are always bantering back and forth. I should have told him, “There’s a pound available – but you can’t afford it”. That would have set off another round of good natured ribbing (with our wives rolling their eyes), usually along the way he’ll say to me, “Why do you want to do me like that?” (think southern good old boy without the redneck part). Always a good amount of laughter with that guy.

1 Like

My last run I grew Maui and Cheese, with a few other strains too :wink:. I would highly recommend either of those strains. I chose Blue Cheese for my BOM prize and will be growing one of those next round. The Maui is such an awesome head high. Super tasty and smells like citrus and tropical fruits :v:

1 Like

Good info. Thanks! I can tell by the amount of replies that we all like to discuss or craft! Are there any strains that just kinda suck??