Nutrient questions

I am in my first grow and my seedlings are almost one week old. super stoked about that. I’m using fox farms smart natural. my question is about nutes and what to buy. and when to start using them. asking now so I can be prepared for when the times comes when these girls need nutes.

No nutes for seedling! Only ph-ed water for first 2-3 weeks! If you already have the soil from fox farm, way not go whit fox farm nutrients line… I know are a lot of people using them… Just wait for more answers :+1:
Nutrient_Chart2

1 Like

The fox farm trio is what I am using. I use fox farm ocean forest for soil which has a good amount of nutrients built in. I also add cal mag to my mix if needed.

1 Like

has any one heard of using synthetic fertilizers for I guess half the time and organic for the last half? for quantity and quality

Welcome @bgnrww. There are many growers here that have used synthetic fertilizers; usually because they didn’t know better. The main issue is residual chemicals affecting the enjoyment of the finished product. Generally natural fertilizers would give you a more refined finish. If you are interested only in making edibles or oil it’s not such a big deal.

I don’t see why you couldn’t and if you are careful you could successfully use chemical nutes in veg and finish with organic.

@bgnrww

First I would like to welcome you to ILGM

OK…First thing you never feed sedlings. You start feeding when they have 5 to 6 true sets of leaves. So m you have plenty of time.

2nd No you don’t have to by all 8 just Grow, Bloom, and Flower Nutrients

1 Like

Fox Farm question: Soil chart, what do the three different colors mean? Do I have to buy all 8 nutrients listed on the chart?

@sativaboy

This here shows only 3 you’ll need to buy. Hope this helps

Will

FOX FARMS FEEDING SCHEDULES

WEEKLY FEEDING- per Gallon
    Sprouting and week 1--Big Bloom 2TBS
    week 2-- 2tsp Grow Big + 2TBS Big Bloom
    Week 3--3tsp Grow Big + 2TBS Big Bloom
    Week 4--JUST 3 tsp Grow Big + 1/4 tsp Open Sesame
    Week 5 same as week 4 unless going 12/12--

Week 5- OR--day 1 of 12/12-- 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Open Sesame
    Week 6--same as above
    Week 7-- 2 Tsp Grow Big + 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/4 tsp Beastie Bloom
    Week 8-- 2Tsp Grow Big + 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Beastie Bloom
    Week 9-- 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/4 tsp Cha Ching
    week 10-- Same as above
    Week 11--2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Cha Ching

At beginning of week 11--Check Trichomes-- Flush if ready.. otherwise, continue as with week 11 every week until you flush!

Also recommended--but not a necessity--
    Bush Doctor Sledgehammer (prevents lock-out)
    use 2 drops per gallon of water between feedings starting in week 4 of 12/12

PHASIC SHEDULE: (per gallon)
    (follow this for bubblers, OR you can use these amounts when watering in soil but is not as good as the weekly schedule for soil!)

New Clones, or when seedlings get 3 sets of leaves- 1tsp Grow Big + 2tsp Big Bloom
    Week 3 of veg (unless going 12/12) ADD 1tsp Grow big + 2 tsp Big Bloom
    4 Days Before going 12/12- Add ¼ tsp Open Sesame
    Day 1 of 12/12 Drain Reservoir & refill. Add 2 tsp Tiger Bloom + 1TBS Big Bloom + ½ tsp Open Sesame
    Week 3 of 12/12Add ¼ tsp Beastie Bloom
    Week 5 of 12/12Drain and refill reservoir Add 2 tsp Grow Big + 1 tsp Tiger bloom + 1 TBS Big Bloom + ¼ tsp Cha ching
    3-5 Days Before harvest-- Drain and refill reservoir add 2 drops Sledgehammer

keep the res filled in between feedings with ph adjusted water--

The reason Fox Farms doesn't list nutes for weeks 2 & 4 is that it ASSUMES your res won't go down, so you won't NEED any additional nutes (if your res stays full- great!)..
    but if the plants are pretty big, or the room is warm/dry-- they can need refilling up to 3-4x a week!!! The chart doesn't take that into account--
    Remember-- feed AT MOST 1x each week-- only water in-between!
    Use additional nutrients from week one at 1/2 rate until in flower (between recommended feeds) then in flower-- for additional feeds, use the nutrients from the 1st week of flower at 1/2 rate in between...again--NEVER feed more than 1x a week!

Bubblers MAY use the weekly Schedules-- BUT ONLY if you use an ec/ppm meter to keep the levels where they should be....
    an ec around 1.2-1.5 in veg.. then 1.5 -1.7 in flower until the last 2-3 weeks... then can go as high as 2.0. Watch your plants! they'll tell you if you are over/under feeding!

what about the rest of the fertilizers towards the bottom of the feeding schedules, like beasty blooms, cha ching, bembe, micro brew, weholly Mackerel, kelp me kelp you? Are they unnecessary?