Nutrient problem?

A question from a fellow grower:

I have a plant that the bottom leaves are very light green and are turning yellow and slowly spreading up the plant. How can I fix this?

I looked at your symptom checker and to me it looks most like a molybdenum deficiency but not as severe.
Strain;
super silver haze and cheese
Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?
50/50 Miracle Grow potting soil and black compost dirt
System type?
N/A
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?
Can’t test PH at the moment
What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS
Have not fed yet only 7 weeks old
Indoor or Outdoor
In a sunny window seal
Light system, size?
N/A
Temps; Day, Night
Day 70-80 °F
Night 65-75 °F
Humidity; Day, Night
N/A
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
Open window
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
N/A
Co2; Yes, No
N/A

update: I just relooked at your symptom checker and I think its aphids. I just found tinny white dots on the big fan leafs and two or three redish orange spots on the bottom of them. What do you think and what should I do?

Hi there,

I’m not actually convinced it’s aphids. But if you think it might be aphids, then here’s what you should be looking for:

If it’s aphids then you will actually see the small insects crawling and or flying around. Aphids are very small, come in many colors (red, green, white, brown, clear, etc…) and are typically 1/4 -1/2 cm in size. Check your leaves for the actual bugs. Aphids often like the underside of leaves so also be sure to check there. If an aphid infestation is well developed, often all that is required to detect them is giving your plant a gentle shake. Signs of aphid activity also include a sticky substance (a byproduct of their feeding on the plant’s sap) which frequently attracts ants, so if you see ants on your plant, you may have aphids.

If you do see signs of aphids, then aphid removal is fairly straightforward, but needs to be done quickly. Aphids can reproduce sexually or asexually, developing reproductive abilities within 1 week, and laying up to 5 eggs a day for 30 days. Left unattended, an aphid infestation can get out of hand very fast.

To get rid of aphids use a small handheld sprayer with a mild dish soap and water solution (lots of recipes online or you can buy at your local garden store). Spray the plant daily, being sure to spray under the leaves as well as on top. It’s important to spray the actual aphid as the solution needs to make contact with the aphid while wet in order to kill them.

If you don’t see signs of aphids, it could be nutrient related or watering (but I don’t see your leaves bending/drooping, so over watering is not the first thing that comes to my mind).

One last thought… I know this doesn’t help your present situation, but some growers feel that the composition of Miracle Grow soil might not be the best choice to get your plants off to a good start (a lot of what I’m reading would indicate people feel that the fertilizer levels within the product are not well balanced to the needs of a marijuana plant). I mention this only as something for future consideration.

Good luck!

PS. If it’s not aphids, then not to worry…there are a lot of very knowledgeable growers in this forum who will probably be able to shed some light on this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like you cut too many fan leaves too early. She’s struggling to absorb energy.
Also, I don’t tho you chose the best soil to grow in. With that being said, the pH reading is extremely important here because most likely your pH of the root zone is way off. If you can test the pH we can give you a better diagnosis.

Treez

1 Like

Okay thanks very much very helpful, I have a few more questions what do the eggs look like, would dawn dish soap work ,and how much soap should I put in the spray bottle

Thanks but I only snipped 4 out of 25, and I found two aphids and what looks to be a few eggs.

Did you check your pH yet?

Hi @Devin,

Eggs look like this: Aphid Eggs: Biology and Morphology. Identification, variation, images, ecology

Most household dish detergents work well. 2 tablespoons per gallon would be a reasonable mixture. You can spray it and also use a sponge to sponge down the plant. The goal though is to get the soap on the aphids. I believe it damages their protective outer layer, but whatever it does, it kills them without leaving harmful chemicals on your plants.

You’ll need to apply the soap solution several times, and stay vigilant even when you think they are gone.

Good luck :slight_smile:

This is what they look like and a pic of. There eggs

Now there Eggs

How to rid them

A commercial product like Bug Blaster will always to the job. If you want to be sure to kill them all buy something like Bug Blaster.

There are still more ways to control an aphid problem. You can use fatty acid salts or insecticidal soaps to disrupt the cell membranes of insects, therefore killing them. They don’t have any negative effects on your plants, and they need to be applied directly to the aphids. Other options include nervous system insecticides like malathion, Dursban (chlorpyrifos), and Orthene (acephate). These insecticides will claim on the label to be for shade trees and ornamental plants, but will also work for your marijuana plants.

With any of these substances, you may need to reapply it once. It is not recommended that you use Sevin, which could have a negative impact on those insects that you do want around (such as ladybugs, lady beetles, and lacewings). These bugs will keep aphids at bay
By Robert Bergman
Posted by garrigan62

Hope this helps

3 Likes