Nutrient lockout?

I know I’ve been feeding her, but I notice the leaves start turning a purple-like color on some of the leaves… the small lower canopy leaves had started looking fine but then started to yellow and wilt. Same with a few other leaves. I counted 9 medium-small leaves turning this color or had already wilted away. This is my first grow still, but I would imagine this could be nutrient lockout. I just ended up flushing 1.3 liters of water in the 5 gallon pot she sits in currently. I’m so close to the finish line. I really don’t wanna mess this up! Yield at this point isn’t a major concern for me. Having a living and harvestable plant at the end that still smokes great is. Any pointers would be great if it’s not too late.

1 Like

Also wanted to add that the buds are still showing sign of growth, but I can tell it’s slowed.

This is not enough to flush. Its barely enough to be a watering.
What do your runoff figures look like? They will tell you if you have lockout.

She looks good aside from what you mentioned. Well done so far my friend.

2 Likes

It sounds like I haven’t been watering her enough then if 1.3l isn’t enough and suppose I should be watering her more. I’ve only been giving her half a liter of water each day and I’m reading my PPM at 1000 which is what I have seen as the recommended dose each week. Perhaps I am under feeding her… still learning and definitely trying to figure this all out. So she’s basically getting 500PPM over two days.

1 Like

Perhaps, there are so many ways to shave this kitty!
If your getting runoff after only a quart and a half you coukd be pouring to quickly, too close to the pot edge or both. A good way to tell is if your runoff comes dripping out the side of the pot. It should come out more centered from the bottom.
There could also be too much perlite in your potting soil also.

Thats not bad in everycase, In soil perhaps not so good (even that is subject to opinion) but I know that coco users water daily. When you say reading 1000ppm are you saying thats your runoff tds or your nute solution tds. 1000 isnt a bad feed although I have read and heard on you tube vids that 850 is considered a large feed. If its runoff you nailed it, under 1000ppm is time to feed.
Some people will water till runoff then test that runoff and if under 1000 mix up a feed resembleing what is needed to get to 1000ppm and give it same day. IE- runoff of 550ppm make up a feed at about 450ppm) myself, that seems tedious. As for dose each week, dont limit yourself that way, if she is hungry for 800ppm twice a week, give it to her twice a week!

Maybe, i dunno she looks good if you are. Curious what was your last runoff ph and tds?

2 Likes

I’ll have to find out tomorrow when I water her again which not sure why I didn’t do that when I had a bunch of run off lol. I was worried based on leaf colors and the shriveling up of a few leaves. When I watered, I decided not to do nutrients for I’m still not sure and need her to have all her leaves at least by harvest time. Other wise she won’t bud or photosynthesize. A bit of a worry for me I feel lol. The food I feed her when mixing the water is at 1000ppm. I forgot to check my runoff. I also think you’re right about pouring too fast. But the weight of the pot right now is pretty hefty so seems she’s got enough water now.

1 Like

She is already budding, a few leaves wont hurt. The yellowing of those leaves isnt helpful though.

You are not alone growmie.

I play golf on my phone inbetween quarts of water. The more water in a single pour the faster that water will move through your soil. Water also creates tunnels in the soil (you can break this up by tilling the topsoil a little before watering) by slowing it down you allow the water to be absorbed by the soil instead of the water flowing past the soil…gravity is a sonofabeech! Im gonna set this thread to watch, let us all know what your runoff looks like when she is dry. Hiw far along is she?

2 Likes

Appreciate the pointers! Right now she’s got about 3-4 weeks left. She started flowering late august I believe. So she’s been flowering for at least a month!

2 Likes

@Docnraq is giving stellar advice!

I use a small watering can (about 1 L) and pour just above a dribble for the first round then a little faster as I go along. If it starts to leak out the sides, I stop and let it soak a minute. It should drip slowly out the very bottom.(The plant should be raised a bit)
I have one in a 5 gal planter and she takes about a gallon and a half to get about a quart of runoff to test.

Agreed.

Those big fans are of no more use to that plant. That is why she sucked the life out of them. They have served their purpose.

2 Likes

TBH, I would do some trimming up to open her up and get some better airflow.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure if trimming her up now would stress her out or not. I read in some places to allow her to suck the life out of what leaves are currently left. I notice when they shrivel up they’re easy to remove just by gentle pulling down.

2 Likes

Taking that in to consideration, you may be right to let things progress naturally. As they say “Too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the sauce”.
As noted above, you are doing great as far as I can see, much better than my early attempts by a mile. :star_struck:
Just be alert for signs of mold or rot. Keep that humidity low from here on out. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi there! I recently finished an 8 oz GG4 auto that didn’t have a single fan leaf on her for about the last month in her life. Possibly bit longer. So no, you don’t have to have them - remember she has sugar leaves too.

That being said, I’m not here advocating plucking her - just saying that if you lose some, you lose some and it’ll be fine.

She’s looking good! Hang in there.

2 Likes

Here she is on chop day. Not very pretty but LOADED with excellent bud.

6 Likes