NUTES for $200,Alex

First time grower here… Can anyone name this deficiency or tell me anything…???in week 4/5 of flower. Hopefully its not too bad or hard to fix.pic of leaf & plant

Just on the edge of nute burn with the tips as they are but I don’t see anything to get worked up over. Plants are kinda leggy: how much light are they getting?

3 Likes

was on a “bud-get” so my lights are the worst.just some cheap blurple lights but i have 2 in a 2x2x4. leaned alot about lighingt tho too bad it was a little late…next time im going w better lighting & a bigger tent

3 Likes

any suggestion on lighting for both the 2x2 & the 4x2 when i get it???

I have an HLG 350R in my 2x4. Absolutely loving it. For the 2x2 I’d recommend a smaller HLG light. They are top notch. I’ve never seen anyone complain about their HLG. I’d recommend checking to see if they have any refurbished lights available. Can save you quite a bit of money.

2 Likes

Skip straight to a 4x4 even if you only use half for growing you’ll appreciate the extra workspace

5 Likes

facts, i started in a 4×4 with 2 plants and loved how much space i had

2 Likes

Wish I had space for a 4x4. I’d be rocking the HLG Scorpion if I had the space for a bigger tent.

1 Like

HLG 135Rspec for the 2x2, a Green Beams 480w or an HLG 350R for the 4x2.

I gotta agree with the others though, I’d go for a 4x4 or a 5x5 (walking room for my big a$$) and the Scorpion Diablo if I had my pick of new gear from a totally fresh start, and unlimited funds.

1 Like

Scorpion Diablo is my vato name. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

You know, Diablo like one of them fighting roosters. -Cal from Talladega Nights

1 Like

Waiting for that hlg mega50 promo to be active to grab another scorpion

2 Likes

If you can manage the heat, im a big fan of hid lights (Metal halide-hps) I dont know about where you live, but ballast and hoods where i live are a dime a dozen. I think $30 for ballast and hood. Led lights are awesome but you for the money you will have to spend to get similar results, would have to be 4 to 5 times more expensive. If you can exhaust the heat you will get much better results! It is my understanding the photons that carry the light on the wave lengths are much higher out of an HID light than that Out of an LED. Offer up or craigs list! Buy a new bulb for $30 and you have just as good of light as alot of the LED’s. Im not saying hid is better. Im jist saying foe the cost there is NO COMPETITION!

Maybe. I’ll have to defer to @dbrn32 for this one.

My general thought about bulbs over LEDs is most of the energy is wasted on generating heat. My bill is already $300/mo where I live, I couldn’t imagine adding to that. I can buy a couple great LEDs with the amount of money I’d save on my electricity bill :grimacing: I know I’m not alone but probably us dumb city growers with astronomical power costs are in the minority (I sure hope so)

1 Like

Depends on context really. Initial cost cheaper to get into hid lighting. I was spending $80 on hortilux bulbs and changing them every other cycle back in the day. Couple years of bulb changes alone usually covers the difference, but a good led fixture should last 6-7 years easy. There is really no comparison of hid to modern high performance leds on ppf per watt or ppf per kWh basis. You also don’t have the reflection losses of having to redirect 60% of the light. Or in case mentioned above having efficiency losses of having to pass light through glass of an aur cooled hood.

For someone that lives in a cool climate, it’s probably cheaper to run a 600 watt hps light than an equivalent hlg-350r and a heater. So there could be a time and place hid lighting. But for typical home grower operating in tent, choosing hid over a decent led fixture will just end up costing you more in bulb maintenance and operating cost than initial savings.

1 Like

Yes LED lights are awesome! Im not even trying to argue that. I was just simply saying for someone on a budget who is only growing with maybe one light. Could start off with an HID light. And after one grow. You could save your money from the weed you no longer have to buy for the time being because you have grown your own. And then invest into a light? Buying an expensive LED light for your first grow is like putting expensive rims on a honda. If you are SERIOUS about growing. Go get the BEST value for your dollar. And from where im sitting even buying a $30 ballast and hood and buying a $80 bulb and running the light for 3 months. At like $40 a month is substantially less than buying one LED that will get you the same results? If anyone knows were to get an led light that compares to a hid 1000 for less than 600 or 700 dollars please let me know because i cant find them. Buying led lights WILL SAVE YOU MONEY IN THE LONG RUN! but if you want good results now and dont have the $500 $600 $700 to get one HID will get you in the game!

Led lights are incredible. And the HLG especially looks bad ass! And what do I know? I’m just a poor country farmer who still grows with old tech! I just cant afford $899 lights, (i would still need 3) thats a lot of electricity bill money! Roughly $2700 no fans no tent no trays no nutes and most of all still NO POT! I will have plenty of smoke by the time i spend $2700. In jars ready to be smoked! :call_me_hand:t5:

1 Like

That is a reasonable position, but maybe doesn’t apply to everyone the same.

Touché. Getting started was rough, no denying that. But for me the $100 HID fixture wasn’t worth the bill - I was able to get my hands on 2 x 100w LEDs that got me through to harvest for $200. No spike in the electric bill. That comes from the air conditioning in the summer :sob:

Your point is well taken - if you can make a cheap fixture last through a full harvest without it crippling you in other ways, then you can easily reinvest the $ savings into better equipment along the way. A nice light was the last thing I bought because I’d assembled so many “budget” lights (that turned out to be pretty good once I understood spectrums and their purpose in my grow) - I splurged last on the 650R refurbished on sale day. Got it for $600 - no small potatoes, but compared to a normal price it was practically free.

I’m buying an LED light now! So I guess in a way. You weren’t wrong! …… happy growing and thanks for all the info! Much appreciated🤙🏽

1 Like