Now that its legal, its nearly worthless

I believe that everyone who is selling on the black market should agree as a group to start to raise the prices back up to what they once were. We work very hard to provide a quality product and in my opinion it’s worth much more than what’s currently acceptable.

1 Like

$20 a gram ain’t cool. No body on the black market works that hard!
Not when the real farmers are getting low balled for quality and then by the time it passes 3 or 4 hands it’s suddenly worth 400 an oz???
Bullstank
I’ll continue to grow my own personal.
I don’t sale nothin , but if dealers would up charge the rec. Smokers and give a heavy discount to folks who NEED it then I’d have no problem paying. It’s greed , that’s all

2 Likes

I started growing for personal use. Smoking about 4-5 oz a month with the Fiancé started getting pricey :joy:. Figured growing would help cut costs…hey you can’t buy bud from the plug with a CC :innocent::sunglasses::joy:

1 Like

its about supply and demand. it was a good year for growing outside here in Maine last year. people got many pounds. then all the indoor growers started back logging tons of weed because all the outdoor flooding the market. i know many people with storage containers full of weed stacked to the ceiling and no buyers. how do u tell someone your weed is worth $400 an oz when u cant even sell it??? Maine has addressed this and i believe we now have a 3 plant limit where as before it was 6 plants.

I think I understand if weed has always been a person’s income. I had a hard time separating from my regular guy when I began growing as I knew it cut into his monthly take quite a bit. I say, tough bananas (no offense intended). I’ve paid major bucks for weed for most of my life. I paid my good connection more than market value for years (without question) because he middle manned it for me. In other words, he was not a producer but had connections. I get it, when buying a 1/4lb no linger gets you a no/low cost bag. I supported this model for years when I moved to Maine in 1999. There was NO WAY weed was ever worth the cost on the street and in my opinion, those costs were accepted due to the risk. Now that the risk has lessened, no way (IMO) is weed worth $400/ounce. Maybe costs can get that high in a large indoor operation but outdoor growing, C’mon, the costs would be offset by the first two pounds even if sold at much less than $400 per.

I apologize for chiming in where I may not have stead, but as a consumer for most of my life, I just don’t understand complaints that the public can now grow their own. Three plants, six plants, 1 plant legal per person doesn’t matter, I am never paying $400 or even $300 for an ounce of smoke ever again. Period.

I’m not sure I agree with producers complaining about people growing their own. Happened with the trades too, I can do my own plumbing 80% of the time instead of paying exorbitant prices for “expertise.”

6 Likes

PS I don’t seem to have much difficulty helping others out for a fair finders fee and that averages out to about $40/quarter. I know I wouldn’t pay much more than that if I was buying on the street in Maine.

1 Like

I’ve heard of people being able to buy decent stuff for $150/oz here where I am in MA.

My history/story is exactly like Screwauger’s. What will be interesting is to see where the market ends up for the so-called “microgrowers” and the actual medical patients who don’t/can’t/won’t grow their own.

2 Likes

weed was bound to get cheaper in maine even if recreational growing had never passed the vote a few years ago. not only was there an abundance of medical bud 5 years ago, but we where starting to see tons of cheap ($1000 or less per lb) cali medical bud overstock.

1 Like

The bottom line is the value has to actually figure in the cost to produce it and some kind of markup on that cost based on supply and demand, now that the risk has been more or less removed.

1 Like

I got pretty p.o.'d when I learned a couple of yrs ago that “my guy” (god rest his soul) was scoring mason jars (30g ounces) for $200 yet was still leading me to believe that it was costing him upwards of 300 therefore the cost to me was $180/half for anything green. I stopped scoring from him for over a yr before I started growing and I never confronted him about it. His sister has since asked me about it and I was honest. I felt terrible when she said he knew you were pissed but he never knew why. She did not disagree when I said, hey I never minded you guys getting cheap bags but when I learned it was so lopsided, I realized I was just a big sucker driving in the drive.

4 Likes

I suppose I am lucky or unique in that I consume most of my product. My GF doesn’t use, I have few friends that use regularly and I have little to no social life so it’s not like I am rolling up doobs for the party (like I used to). Therefore, I could likely survive on 1 plant/person and certainly do not need 6 plants per person but there’s something about giving it to us then taking it back (cause we all know man is never satisfied and if they get this back it will fuel their desire to fight the rec law and have it overturned).

2 Likes

6 well grown plants outdoors is WAY more weed then any 1 person needs in a year. but there are too many variables here. what if u are green at growing? or plagued by some bug infestation?

3 Likes

I agree @oldpro

The outdoor growers I know in Maine had a heck of a time with mold and other issues last year! So did I so that 6 plants is, like you say, tentative harvest and not a sure thing. I do like the odds better indoors but I am envious of the low cost of using mother nature!!

2 Likes

I can say with some loose study of the OR market that there was price resistance in the market after legalization at $400/oz. After the initial sales spike with legalization, revenue fell for a couple of years as people rotated back to the black market.
With demand down, and more growers coming online, supply exploded and prices this year fell below $200oz with (my daughter reporting) ounces being available at retail for $75.
Oregon now is projecting huge surplusses of legal and certified weed that they intend to export to other legal states if they can get approval. the black market for weed in legal states will be decimated.

4 Likes

If weed at retail stores is reasonable, I don’t need a black market personally. Regardless, as long as the law allows personal cultivation, I have no interest in what the street or shop prices are. Just me but I ain’t askin nobody for nothin If I can grow it on my own!! h/t CDB

9 Likes

Should add that Maine is experiencing, at least where I am, low black market prices. 140 - 160 ounce for medical grade street weed. There are no retail outlets for recreational. As snobby as it sounds, I really don’t care. I would have for sure if I was unable to successfully produce enough to keep me baked.

Don’t misunderstand, I am all for being able to move a bag or two for a decent price but I do think those days are gone.

If you have not, check out Murder Mountain (netfx) h/t @Smokin_ernie eye opening for the parts about legalization.

7 Likes

Oh I 100% hear that! The next recreational shop to open will be 15mi from my house…no need. Fun to grow, fun to use, makes a great gift!

2 Likes

Yeah murder mountain is an eye opener for sure. I watched 2 episode there are 6 in series.

2 Likes

Started watching episode 3 last night well a few brownies and a few joints and I fell asleep so going to be watching it again.

1 Like

I watched the whole series and it is really sad to see where the whole art and purity of this hobby is going. Government and big business will just screw it till it’s dead and the younger generations will just gangster the hell out of it. The saddest part was seeing the OG guys watch it turn into exactly what they were escaping from. I love my country, but sometimes things just need to be left grassroots.

4 Likes