Novice cultivator

I have an idea of growing 10 photoperiods 5 sativa’s and 5 indicas. I would like to know if I could use my 2x4 closet in my bedroom for 5 plants? And would it make sense to purchase a 3x3 for the other 5? What size pots, and recommended grow light. And how many for each setup? I’m trying to be discreet and stealthy with the wattages, the smells are no worries because I smoke in my home. I’m in Mississippi.

3 Likes

Welcome to the ILGM forum!

I took a picture this morning of my 2 girls in late veg. They have been topped, defoliated, and supercropped extensively to manage their size. Here is a pic of those 2 plants in a 4x4. They are nearly wall-to-wall.

6 Likes

Your way overestimating what you can grow in your space. With 3 plants in that space would be crowded. I see as I’m writing this that @MidwestGuy posted pic. Don’t hesitate to ask more questions. Your in a good place for learning to grow. Welcome to ILGM forum.

5 Likes

If you want a quick turn around you could grow in 3 gallon pots and flip after 3 or 4 weeks of veg. If you haven’t bought lights yet, don’t rush into buying lights off Amazon. Lights are one of the most important decisions you will make. If you’re willing to spend money upfront it will pay off with heavy dense buds.

3 Likes

I grow in a 2x4x5 closet and I can do two photos and one auto if I top them and flip early to keep to 32 inches. By the time the auto is done the two photos are needing extra room to flower. And they fill up the 2x4. My buddy has a 4x4 and has 4 plants, no room to get to back plants… good luck

2 Likes

This is a 2x4 with 3 girls

1 Like

The most I like to run is 2 photos or 3 autos in a 4x4 closet. But I like my girls big in 7 gallon fabrics so I may veg a bit longer than sum.

2 Likes

Hey, if I use this set up, could I make it perpetual. And just keep it to 3. Or should I just do 2 and use the 2x2 tent I already have for the extra plant? My worry with the 2x2 is height because it’s definitely not tall. Or are there short enough strains that can grow in such small space.

1 Like

Here is my small girl I grew in a 4x4 tent. Grown in a 5 gallon bucket filled 1/2 way with dirt.

2 Likes

Do you know what I could put in a 2x2 all the way to harvest?

Welcome to the community. I would go with two photos in your 2x4 space. You will have two nice big plants. you can go with more plants, but they will be fighting for space. Also the HLG 260 XL would be a good choice of light for your space.( Horticulture Lighting Group) Good luck with your new grow.

2 Likes

I would go with a single HLG 260xl rspec on a 2x4 tent.

2 Likes

Yes, love the RSpec version. A few more dollars, but I think it’s worth it.

Okay thanks guys, I will definitely be asking more questions as I save towards my investment. :heart:

1 Like

You’re getting excellent help here. To answer your questions, you could certainly grow 4-5 or even more plants in a 2x4 or 3x3. However, it does require some pretty specific steps and is probably better for more advanced or experienced growers.

4 Likes

Can you brief me on those steps or suggest an article or common source that provides the information?

You want to look into a growing method called sea of green, or sog for short. It’s basically running several small single cola plants as opposed to larger plants with more veg time and/or training.

2 Likes

This is a non scrog/sog method:

I run two photos or three autos in a 4x4 closet. No tent. Walls are all reflective, added ventilation, and proper lighting. It will get you as much as you need for personal use that is. lol. I have two photos currently in 7 gallon bags and am already running out of space length x width in the second week of flowering. I would suggest in a confined space, LST methods to spread out our colas. If you can train your colas to the edge of your pot, then flower after their stalks are nice and thick, you will get some nice fat colas, usually at least 8-10, more if you want to veg for longer…

Have fun. Hope this didn’t make things worse with my rambling on. lol

1 Like

What is the typical yield on this

1 Like

My autos were about 3 dry oz per plant, 3-4 plants in the room, regardless. I run a CFL LED combo light. Other’s with bigger lights get double. But auto’s run small. So I will let you know in about 5-6 weeks how the two photo’s I have running turn out. Same light system, 2 gallon bigger bags than the auto’s.
I ran 9 plants in there once that somebody gifted me. No room for light, or anything really. Watering was the big issue for me so I couldn’t SCROG since a scrog is not an option since it’s a hard closet. But, I pulled over 100 oz from those 9 photos in that space with shit lights. So if you are in a similar situation, you need to come up with a definate way to water them properly without moving them. Two 7 gallon pots for me made it crowded enough. lol but some like more.