Not using a tent

As I described in my journal (Ruby's first grow: Critical Alien Fuel ), I will divide the plants in two groups: the 5 gallon and the 1 gallon pot group. I see no reason for any bigger pot: all cannabis has adventitious roots. It doesn’t matter how much money you put on a pot, they will reach the limit and chemically communicate a space limit. The reports I collected show no linear yield either: a 5 gallon pot yields 1.5 times what 1 gallon pots produce. I’m sure they will love it outdoors except for the fact that the storms will destroy them.
Special light control and carbon/fan is necessary in a tent and that’s why I’m choosing to not use one. The laundry room is ample (about 40 square feet) and uncluttered. Half of it is just for the plants. Nice window with natural light and a few cheap led lights.
As I said, it’s an experiment. But it just doesn’t make biological sense to me to create an air flux hostile environment just to add a fan to circumvent the fact that the environment is hostile (and dark and closed).
We’ll see.
I’m sure there is a lot that practical farmers know more than botanists and agronomists, but I’ll stick with botany for the time being.

1 Like

Tents are used for odor control and for blocking light sources from getting to the plants during their dark period. If you have no need for odor control and are growing autoflowers, no tent needed.

2 Likes

Fans blowing across your plants help strengthen branches, maintain consistent rh throughout the plant, and help with air exchange.
They’re not just for tents.

3 Likes

As I said, we’ll see. They have as close to the natural circadian rhythm as possible. This is Oklahoma and that room is warm (and isolated from the rest of the house, which has AC) from March to October. I will manipulate “more” light as needed. Since nobody knows anything about this strain, I’ll have to observe their flowering behavior.

One day I want to polinize my plants and produce seeds, but that’s far down the road. If these girls are good, I’m good cloning them.

I have one crazy idea: to place 3 plants (might get the seeds next month) outside, together with tomatoes, okra and some medium size fast-growing bushy vegetables. It’s pretty risky because of the strong storms here but it would be one hell of an experiment.

Meanwhile, they will be indoor plants as close to the natural environment as possible.

I haven’t figured out what to do between October and March but, again, that’s far down the road.

Clone them before you flower them even if they have not shown any traits you want to keep. You never know what they’ll do during flowering. Then you won’t have to try to revegg the plant to get the traits from that phenotype. Just easier imvho

1 Like

Good thinking, thanks! Will do.

1 Like

Are you supplying fresh air to the room?

Yes.
The room is insulated and also separated from the rest of the house. It is the laundry room in an old house, quite big (7ft X 12 ft) and uncluttered. It is sealed, but there is a door to the porch gym which has permanent refreshing of the air. So yes, the room has fresh air. The house is old, complete sealing is impossible. Later on there will be a small fan (and never a tent). You can follow the growth at my growth journal here Ruby's first grow: Critical Alien Fuel

1 Like

About light, just an illustration:
A - single plant under direct sunlight in warm temperate zone: NOT any cannabis wild variety’s natural physiological condition
B - under canopy: most wild cannabis varieties’ natural condition
C - my present setting (first shoot today: yes, I will get more light; no, I won’t buy “special” indoor growing lamps

I read about 20 light demand “advice” website on indoor horticulture and ornamental plant growing. They are way, way, way off plants’ physiological demand and even photosynthetic ability. Not surprisingly, artificial lights for indoor cultivation popped up in all websites. So… draw your own conclusions.

PS - remember grandma’s violets and basil grown under windowsill? According to those websites, that is “impossible”. Not botanists.