Not Sure What is Going On

I am still having issues. The plants are still growing in flowering stage. The buds are developing but some of the leave, especially at the top of the plant are mottled yellow and green. Other leaves, especially the fan leaves, are a nice color and seem to be in good shape. Strangely, it looks like a deficiency but I am wondering if this is burning. Details below:

Strain: WWA
Method: hydro - autopot (first time using this particular method)
medium: coco
Nutrients: General Hydroponics Flora
TDS: 900-1000
PH: 6
Temp: 74-79
RH: 60-70%
Light: HLG 300L V2 RSpec
Tent: 3x3 Secret Jardin Dark Room
Ventilation: AC Infinity 4"
Planted on 7/8 (germinated in 2 days!)
Flowering for roughly 2 weeks. They are roughly 3 ft tall

I just topped off the reservoir. Details:

8/29/2021
Gallons 10
Week 6
FloraMicro 38
FloraGro 28
FloraBloom 68
CaliMagic 19
Floralicious Plus 15
Liquid KoolBloom 10
Actual PH before 6.06
Actual PH after 5.85
Actual TDS 900

Pics

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Like

@Nicky and @Myfriendis410 grow in autopots and @Not2SureYet has as well. I didn’t see if you said what you are setting the ph at?

2 Likes

TDS looks good being between 900-1000 so it must be something going on with ph of the root zone or ph of the feedings

2 Likes

There’s mobile and immobile nutrients. Deficiencies in mobile nutrients usually appear first in lower leaves. Immobile nutrients affect the upper leaves first.

Common Cannabis Nutrient Deficiencies - YouTube

Hi. Thanks @MattyBear . PH adjusted prior to nutrients added was 6.06 and then after nutrients added adjusted to 5.86 in the reservoir.

1 Like

Thanks @oldmarine . Very interesting video. The candidates based on that video are iron and manganese. Both are immobile and cause yellowing. Any thoughts?

1 Like

I will also mention that I did very little alteration of the PH level of the nutrient mix after the last feeding because the PH meter said that it was in the low 6s. I am not sure if that was a bad measurement. I have since taken to measuring PH multiple times over several days to ensure it makes sense. Any thoughts on how a high PH would look in a hydro setup? I would assume it would look burned which to some degree my plants look but it is happening almost entirely at the top of the plant or at least with the newer growth/leaves.

That’s a good bet.

It might be an uptake issue. What is your water source?

Plaint tap water. I live in Virginia Beach if that makes a difference. I would assume the PH is ~7 for the tap water. Like I said, the last time it appeared to be in the lower 6s out of the tap. I suspect that may be a bad reading. The current reading was 5.84 last night and 5.86 today… which seems reasonable considering what I did to adjust it.

1 Like

Have you calibrated your ph meter recently?

1 Like

Our tap water is about 7, but there are other issues. We don’t have chlorine, they use chlorimide. I currently water with rain, well or spring water ph around 7.

1 Like

For your tap. What is the tds. Ph really is not an issue since you fix that when you mix. I crunched your numbers and you are feeding at about 3/8 strength. So pretty close to what I so as well. I am in the 3/8 - 1/2 range with my autos. My leaves will start to yellow slightly once past the half way mark in flower. I believe to to be caused by the additional nutes. I have only grown one plant with GH in an auto pot. I am going to pull my feed notes for it to see how things went. I know it produced one of my biggest auto. If not the biggest.

I would be in the 5.8 - 6.1 ph range. No higher.

2 Likes

My calibration mix is expired but I will do so today and let you know. I did calibrate a month ago at the 7.0 level but not the 4.0 or 10.0 level. I will let you know how it goes.

2 Likes

I have a nice ph pen but find I need tocalibrate weekly after using a soft bristle brush to clean the probe in distilled water

1 Like

I will say that I am impatient and in the past, I am not sure I took the time to wait for the liquid to stabilize its PH before I took it. In other words, I am not 100% confident in my attention to the PH level until this last watering (yesterday 5.86).

For your tap. What is the tds. Ph really is not an issue since you fix that when you mix. I crunched your numbers and you are feeding at pre flower strength. So pretty close to what I do as well. I am in the 3/8 - 1/2 range with my autos. My leaves will start to yellow slightly once I start adding additives. I have only grown one plant with GH in an auto pot. I am going to pull my feed notes for it to see how things went. I know it produced my biggest auto.

I would be in the 5.8 - 6.1 ph range. No higher. I also would be adding an extra 1.25ml of cal mag for one rez fill to see if it helped. The bad is once you start to see the mag deficiency. The leaves really don’t turn back much over here.

I have a question. When did this start to flower? I It looks like you are feeding pre flower strength right now correct. I was in the 850 range there with Bud ignitor. :grin:

Side note: I don’t prep my coco. So I know I have to run heavier with the cal mag in veg or I get similar to this once I hit flower. I still need to do a few more with the GH in autopots to learn them. Top feeding shows me stuff before it happens. Using a rez. There is no run off for a heads up.

1 Like

Okay. So I calibrated my PH meter… and it gave me an error. I need to replace the electrode. So unfortunately, I won’t know the accurate PH until I get it. Bummer. I calibrated my TDS and found it to be off considerably. It is probably 10 years old. I used 1300 solution and it was off by 100s so I think that I am going to replace that as well since I don’t have confidence that it is good either. Any recommendations on favorite TDS meters would be most appreciated.

I did test the tap water for TDS and it came to about 120. I was using the GH guide for mid bloom. The plants germinated on 7/8 and I started to see flowers around 8/8. Also, I have only delivered nutrients through the reservoir and not directly over the media. I hope that clarifies things.

1 Like

Any meter off Amazon that’s highly rated should be fine. TDS meter doesn’t need to break the bank. Save the money for the PH meter

I just went to the hydro store to pick up a TDS. They checked the ph of my nutrient solution while there and they got 6.0 so it seems right where I want it. I still have little confidence in the previous nutrient solution ph being in the right range. It should be good moving forward. TDS confirmed around 900.

2 Likes