Not really a "topic" but more of a 1st time grow journal

So yeah as the title says i thought maybe it would be easier to just start this instead of different posts here and there…and always i appreciate all the helpful tips from everyone that has and all others that will. So as mentioned this is my first actual try at this with a legit setup so definitely learning as i go. I was doing 4 but it’s now 5 gorilla glue autos in a 4x4x7 tent with a 1000w KingLED lamp with flower and veg modes and by the end of this week hopefully i will have a 600w mh bulb also and as soon as that is in place they both will be on a 18/6 light cycle (will switch to 400w hps for flower). Right now the temp stays around 70-73 and ive kept it as humid as i can (around 70% consistently) but have to have the humidifier on high and 24hrs plus i have also misted water in the tent which has gotten it up to 75%-77% and im guessing it will get warmer in there once the other light is in place but i keep a little heater in there now to try and stay around 70 so i think it might work out good. Two of the seeds were put in dirt a week and a half ago (3/6/21) and just starting to get the next leaves growing after the first initial two that start. Again they all are in the red bag pro mix but these two i added worm casings to the soil prior to putting the seeds in and prior to getting a little input on here but i guess we’ll see what happens, they look nice so far in my opinion so hoping they do well! I put 2 more in dirt about a week ago but felt it was taking too long to see em poke through the dirt ( i am a little impatient and trying to work on that) but oddly i didn’t even find one of the seeds digging around at all, the other i found about a 3/4" long sprout still an over an inch down so i musta jabbed my finger in there too making the hole to drop the seed in there or something so i cradled it in the dirt a little and pushed some dirt under it to raise it up a little and now it has poked through the dirt so hoping that one survives and does well also! But in the wake of that i germinated two more and they went in solo cups with the same dirt this time (the others went right in the big 5 gal grow bag thing) and they will be transferred to the grow bags when ready. I plan on switching to the 18/6 cycle the 21st which will give 2 plants 2 weeks, 1 plant 1 week and idk maybe the new ones will get a couple days …of 24/0 light with just the KingLED. I won’t be feeding for the first few weeks but have jacks321 package when i do and have gotten some instruction in that department. Well i think that pretty much catches the last few weeks up to where things are now. Any questions/comments/help is appreciated…cheers!

3 Likes

I really wish i could somehow not worry about the electricity usage cuz i would have 3 or 4 of these little tents with hopefully lovely plants lol…ive always wanted to do this on my own and exited to make it work, consumed with learning and growing now, find the process and all the strains fascinating. As well as different processes. Had a topic of grafting different strains…super intrigued by that lol!

1 Like

I might also add that i plan on setting up a diy co2 system, had the topic on here and many comments both ways on it…i feel it certainly can’t hurt, cannabis plants love co2 and its really inexpensive so why not .

According to a search you can grow up to 8 plants in a 4x4 tent…that seems a little much to me…5 seems a little much lol but gonna give it a shot if they all survive and flourish. Might just be the 4 though if that middle one got too stressed but it did start to come through the dirt so might be alright?!

Welcome @JamJam to the addictive world of growing. I’m set to watch :sunglasses: your patience will be truly tested once you open your tent and the girls are glistening with frost and stinkin oh so good and that’s a month before they’re ready :wink:

4 Likes

@MeEasy ha yes the patience is the only aspect I’m not looking forward to lol

2 Likes

At those lower temps, you can drop the humidity down to mid 50s-60s. Save yourself some electricity, there, maybe?

1 Like

It’s pretty consistent 70°+…and will only get warmer I believe once the other light is in. I’m not terribly concerned with power with just this one tent…the power comment was because I want 3 or 4 tents going lol

It was consistently in the 50% range on low but read to put a clear dome over the new seedlings to increase the humidity around them so I just jacked it up in the whole tent instead

Plus I dont think a tropical setting will hurt the plants

I’m guessing it will be a good 80°-85° in there with the lights on…its about 63° in the basement so will cool off during the 6hrs of no light

The cooler temperatures are probably what slowed the germination down

1 Like

Yeah the soil temps were close to 65 so I think the heat will be a good thing…just waiting on the fixture to arrive and I will get it in there right away

1 Like

I also buried the 2 way too deep to start…and these last 2 I actually did probably the better way, in a smaller pot first (solo cup) then will put in the bigger one

1 Like

I’ve got what I’m calling a diary going if you’d like to check it out I’ll tag you over. It’s not much just a tell all kinda thing like you are doing here

1 Like

Right on hell yeah …that is pretty much what I got here too…but also to post my questions instead of making separate posts all the time lol

1 Like

Yeah I like to use cups mainly because it never fails one or two will grow sideways or stretch to much and it is an easy fix when you repot them. I just started some autos for the first time and I put the sprouts directly into their forever homes because I didn’t want to have to repot the autos for fear of stressing them

That was my exact thought too, eliminating that transplant step thus eliminate stress to the new plant…but I do believe the smaller one first might be the better way to do it so gonna add that variable to my first grow equation and see if it is any different in the end

1 Like

Honestly I feel the first two which went right into the 5gal look great at a 1.5weeks but wanted to try the cup method for shits and giggles

1 Like

Yes, in the future, it will get warmer. It’s not that warm, now. Gotta balance temps and humidity. Low temps and high humidity don’t make seedlings happy. Can cause issues. Especially during lights out.

A lot of growers use a heatmat.

1 Like