Northern nites forever

I have Bruce Banner autoflowers in Smart Pots 5 gal size. They are in week 4 of veg. I have noticed for 2 days when my lights are out the plants get droopy. They are sitting on plastic trays on wheels with a indentation in the middle. When I picked them up I have almost a foot of roots coming out the bottom of the pot where the indentation is in the trays. How do I fix this? Should I remove the trays, and place them on wire cookie racks to let air get to the roots? Help…

1 Like

Are the smart pots fabric style material? I’ve seen a few people who have posted pics of roots growing through some fabric pots, but never a foot or more. Can you post a picture of this. BTW Welcome to ILGM forum :+1:

Yes pictures please

1 Like

R

1 Like

Those are at least a foot.

1 Like

I have to admit, I’ve never seen roots grow out of a fabric pot like that. Now I have to ask, is the fabric damaged? I’m going to tag a couple people to take a look. I’m not sure if you should leave them be or trim them off :thinking:. @MidwestGuy @Mr_Wormwood @BobbyDigital @beardless

1 Like

With that many healthy looking roots exposed you might want to do the pot in a pot.

Brand new smart pot. Not torn.

Would this be a good ad for Great White? I applied some when I planted the seedling, and about a week ago. BTW, this is my first real grow. My first was in flower by the time my son gave it to me.

Does it sit in the runoff underneath? Or do you drain the catch pan every time?

1 Like

I have mothers push through in 20gal. On floor but will run along outside on bottom after 5-6 month veg. That there is crazy. 1 healthy girl.

@MattyBear take a look at this, roots growing through fabric pot. Should he leave them growing or trim them off.

That can happen if the pots aren’t raised and sit in water. I would cut them off and raise the pots off the plastic they’re sitting on

5 Likes

@oldmarine I believe has this issue regularly. You can probably get a 7 gallon bag. Put a few inches of your medium in the bottom, put your girl, bag and all, in there. Back fill the sides.

Not a problem per say. I will put a pot in a pot so the roots grow through…

5 Likes

@oldmarine ya I knew it wasn’t an issue to you neighbor.

This exactly. They are meant to air prune and if air can’t get to it, it can’t prune. As Matt stated cut them off and raise them so air can get underneath.

1 Like

Get two bricks and a round cake drying rack sit the rack on the bricks and put ur pot on top

2 Likes

@Bulldognuts thanks for the tag. I use fabric pots but I have not had roots like that because my pots are raised and air prune themselves.

1 Like