Northern Lights - First Ever Grow

Harvested the first of 2 plants. I think the other plant has a couple weeks left. This was a chore to trim, took my wife and I about 3 hours. I think I did an ok job. Did a bud wash and now they’re hanging with a fan on them before I hang them in the shed to start drying.

@Naturalmedsman @Hellraiser @Cannabian @skippyisnohippy @BobbyDigital @PurpNGold74

7 Likes

One hell of a harvest so far! I can feel your trim hand but 3 hours is amazing time on that kind of harvest.

3 Likes

That looks outstanding!

2 Likes

Thank you! Definitely wasn’t as accurate or picky towards the end

2 Likes

Nice buds!

1 Like

Congrats! That’s a nice harvest and some huge kolas!

@Naturalmedsman @Hellraiser thank you! Some of the lower buds are not as dense, but I’m very happy with how this turned out considering everything I was fighting with outside

1 Like

I think that’s often the case with lower buds. Looks like you nailed it overall, especially with all the crazy outdoor grow factors. Really exciting to see and making me wish my northern lights was started earlier and was done by now. What type of flowering/bloom fertilizer did you use?

I think I might try to make edibles with the fluffier stuff. I am a big proponent of a bud wash now, bugs LOVE the cannabis smell haha. And I used Fox Farm Tiger Bloom every other feeding, which with all the rain ended up being like once or twice a week. I don’t know where you’re at, but in the Midwest you could probably have a plant outside through October with how mild the weathers been looking so far. I’m about to hop over to your grow journal to see how you’re doing.

1 Like

I’m in the lower part of the northeast. So far weather has been pretty good this late into the season, with the exception of a few big storms. Lowest its gone was high 40s at night and it’s usually in upper 60s/low 70s during the day. If it stays like this through October I’ll be good. You just never know these days. Growing up, October used to be consistently colder. Nowadays it’ll be freezing one day and feel like summer the next.

Fox farms seems to be good stuff. I haven’t tried tiger bloom, but have been using open sesame, beastie bloomz and cha ching. They seem to be working well. Plus I’ve been adding some organic stuff - fish bone meal, kelp extract, langbeinite, worm casting and molasses. Probably going overboard but it’s working.

Bud wash for sure! Aphids, spiders, inchworms, fungus gnats have all been loving my plant. Makes me wonder about the shit (pun intended) I’ve been smoking all theses years.

2 Likes

@Hellraiser @BobbyDigital Dried the first plant for 6 days. Humidity between 50-60. Buds felt pretty crispy, small stems snapped. Then jarred them to start the cure. After 1 day in the jar they are not very dry anymore. Is this normal? Do they dry out again during the cure?

2 Likes

Really need to have some mini hygrometers to know your jar RH. The core of the buds hold moisture and will wick out to the outer portion of the buds.

1 Like

Yes that’s normal, the outsides of the buds were dry but they were still moist on the inside of the buds. When you jar them up, that forces the moisture to spread out to the rest of the bud, then you leave jar open for a little bit to let that dry up a little, then close up the jar to repeat the process until the humidity stays about 58-60RH.

1 Like