Northern Lights - First Ever Grow

Update: Looking good after topping. Can see the new 2 stem growth. It’s getting pretty tall too

1 Like

Good man, after you top its going to take some time and sunshine and you should be A OK. When it rains that hard if you have a way to protect that plant by moving it under a roof overhang or covered porch that would help her. Obviously some people don’t have that luxury who are in the ground, but you have a mobile pot.

2 Likes

@IslandGrown76 @PurpNGold74 This plant has grown 18inches since topping 15 days ago. I feel like it’s going to get rather large. When do outdoor plants go to flower? September? Anyway, I don’t know if I want to end up with an 8ft plant. If I was to top again, how does it work the 2nd time?

1 Like

Make sure you top both tops. It works but honestly im not an outdoor grower. Ive heard to many toppings can mess up the bud to stem ratios and make u HAVE to support branches.

Also topping too close to flower can hurt yield, long as ur not seeing pistils ur fine.

Alot of people are seeing pistils now where they usually dont until August. You MAY end up with a semi tree. So looking into supercropping and supporting maybe to your advantage.

Right below this leaf

Get out there and put ur top finger and thumb on the stem. And crush that baby. Like smush smash rub and crush it somemore. U want it to fold yet not break the skin.

2 Likes

Thank you. I ended up watching several videos about it and still chickened out haha. It’s my first plant, didn’t want to ruin anything. I’ll try some more training next grow.

However, are these pistils? I can’t tell if this is pre-flower or not.

1 Like

Yup. Those 2 white hairs are pistils. The green spikes are called stipules. But the curls bright white hairs are girlie parts.

And I did a round of cropping the other day. Break at least on stem every time. And they keep kicking. U still have bout a 10 day window to crop without fear. They are tough plants. But I can understand a bit of hesitation. Been there

I think I’ll try that with my next grow. I ended up doing some LST with it

This thing is getting big! And growing a TON! Here it is at day 74

And today at day 84. It grew so strong it busted out of the LST clips!

Starting to flower everywhere

Even the smaller plant that was growing very slowly has really shot up in height. I never topped it because it was such a slow grower

1 Like

Looking good!!
NL always looks so weird when its growing - I’ve never seen a pic of one where it’s a symmetrical, “pretty” plant.
But damn!! That buzz!! Plus I love the taste!
It was really hard to not try NL on my first grow, but I recently acquired a27"x27" tent to do a little science fair project on a Granddaddy Purple and to use as a “tobacco barn” for curing.
I’m almost positive that I’ll be doing a couple of NL autos in there after everything is jarred up and out of the way in there.
BTW - I’m in Virginia - can’t throw a rock without hitting a tobacco barn! LOL!

Keep up the good work!! Looking GREAT!!

Happy Growing Everyone!!

1 Like

Thanks man! Why didn’t you choose NL? Just wondering. And yes, it smells great so far! Can’t wait to finally harvest these girls.

This is my first grow, and I did it outside, but now I’m interested in getting a tent so I can keep growing in the winter

To be honest, I’m not sure! Maybe they weren’t on sale when I ordered! LOL!
I ended up with some classics though - Super Skunk, Granddaddy Purple and New York Diesel.
I’ve never officially had GDP, but 30 years ago in my most successful guerilla grow as a 20-something I managed to grow a HUGE purple plant with lavender pistils. I’m hoping that might be replicating that plant! LOL!
When ILGM had the introductory sale on the G13 I picked up 20 of them with the 10 Gold Leaf at half off!
Those are all photos and will either be outside next year or in the 2x4 tent inside.
Currently I’ve got 2 NYD and 1 SS in there. Outside I’ve got 2 GDP(+1, er,2 GDP that ended up in the same pot, those are being forced to flower now in the 2x2), 2 NYD and 1 SS I had to kick out of the tent. She didn’t want to train right so I put her outside to let her do her and she’s lovin’ it!!
It actually helped me to realize 3 is probably the max in the 2x4. Especially if you do LST and spread them out. I’ve got wall-to-wall horizontal coverage pretty much and pushing the vertical growth now on the way to flower.
I’m hoping the outside grow will give me a cushion in case everything goes south inside! LOL!

If you decide to do inside growing research everything you need to buy thoroughly. The all-in-one kits are a good start but sometimes not the best deal really. For a little bit more money a lot of times you can get far superior equipment. I went with a Spider Farmer kit and I’m certainly not knocking it - so far it’s been great, but the exhaust fan could have been a little larger to accommodate the humidity generated. So a larger AC Infinity is otw now. I also ended up getting another, smaller light to completely fill the footprint of the tent with strong light and diminish the typical drop off along the sides and end of the space.
Will it be the last set up I ever own - probably not.
Is it perfectly adequate for learning and doing a few grows - which will end up paying for the stuff - FOR SURE!

Good Luck and Happy Growing Everyone!

In the middle of flowering now, just waiting on buds to get fatter. I feel like they’ve been this size for 2 weeks

2 Likes

Those are looking fantastic! I bet those buds will start fattening in the next week or so.

I Started a late season grow with an ILGM NL seed. It’s a little more than a month since sprout now. Hoping it’ll flower soon.

Thank you! I’m digging the NL already, It smells amazing. Is yours outdoors as well?

Yep. Started it indoor for the first 2 weeks and now it’s outdoors for the rest of the grow. I thought it’d go straight to flower when I put it out and stay small. Now I’m thinking I should have used a bigger pot for it as it continues to grow like crazy. Even though there are no flowers yet it does smell is good!

Best of luck on your grow! I’m following along.

If it hasn’t started flowering, you might be able to transplant to a bigger pot. And yeah, mine stretched like crazy when they started flowering

@PurpNGold74 @IslandGrown76 @Covertgrower Need some help. My plant has had this weird pattern on the leaves for a few weeks. I thought it was just sunburn from morning dew droplets. But in the past couple of days it seems like it’s spreading and some leaves started dying

Some more pics. It’s only happening to the lower branches

That doesnt look like anything Ive ever seen before. Lets get some help around here.

@Myfriendis410 @BobbyDigital @Hellraiser @Cannabian

2 Likes

I know little to nothing about cannabis. But you are outdoors and lower branches only with this symptom? That would lead me to believe water splashing off the soil carrying a pathogen up on to the plants leaf? I hope someone can give you something definitive.

2 Likes