Northern Lights Auto Grow Journal

Remember , Coco is like growing Hydro, it only gets what you put in it, I’m trying it for the first time as a beginner with 9 of my starts(out of 11) I may change some to reg soil with nutes, but I have 10 more seeds on hand if things don’t pan out , Plus I have the outdoor grow time to do it if things don’t go well

Ahh yes it is isn’t it. Hmmm well definitely going to get a pots worth of fox farm. Only have two seeds on hand. Hopefully still good they’ve been in the fridge since about February. As getting them by mail a bit of a pain might order from ilgm again either the high yield mix pack or the white widow autos although I hear they might be a little too aromatic while growing. Should prob stick to autos to avoid the light restrictions

@Jheezy I’ve not yet grown WW but I’ve heard the same thing - rather odiferous! :worried:

My Northern Lights Auto has an incredible scent. I may grow it again for that reason alone. I’ve described it as a cross between citrus and a cup of Earl Grey tea. Not a perfect comparison, but close enough. Traditionally most people in my neck of the woods have grown skunk varieties and most people around here have come to associate that particular smell with pot. That’s another reason why I’m really enjoying this NLA… the odd person catching a whiff of it is likely to ask “What is that scent?” and not “Is that pot?”

Seed sank after 6 hours, then removed after 18 hours and transferred to a damp paper towel. Placed the towel in an open zip lock bag, and stored in a dark dry space. Came back to check on it 12 hours later and am starting to see a tap root.

The root looks to be about 1/4 to 1/2 cm long. I’m going to let it continue to develop and then transfer to my starting container tomorrow morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed. Smell while growing is a concern for me. Haven’t invested in a carbon scrubber yet. I did buy a three dollar air purifier from the thrift store and put a carbon pad in it and laundry sheets on outside of it. Not sure how good it works. My sniffer is mostly unreliable. Ilgm has ww ten for $55 not sure if that’s something I want to skimp on but I like a deal. And already order from them so I know it’ll get here. Eventually.

Tap root is looking great. Time to add it to my seedling container.

I had great success on my 2nd grow with using 2 small containers for each plant…

One of them has the bottom cut out and a side cut from top to bottom.

This is then inserted into the unmodified container. The idea is that when it is time to transplant the seedlings to its next container, I simply dig a hole to the size of the seedling container, remove the outer container, insert the plant into the hole (still in the modified container) and then slide the remaining container out out of the hole, resulting in a transplant with virtually zero root shock.

Into the starter mix it goes. Tap root is down and seed is about 3/4 of a cm beneath the surface.

Time to give the starter mix a good soaking…

And now it’s off to sit in a sunny warm location :slight_smile:

1 Like

What soil are you using?

Starting soil for seedling is Pro Mix Ultimate: Organic Seed Starting Mix (Mild level of time release nutrients). It’s about 80% peat moss, and the seedling will only be in it for a few weeks before it gets transferred to to its final growing container, which will be a commercial soil/peat moss mix blended with 50% home made organic compost (good nitrogen content with excellent water retention, and supplemented with Gaia Green slow release organic 2-8-4 fertilizer with micro nutrients.

Well I see you’ll just throw seed into anything. Lol j/k. I just used some mg seed starter I had laying around. Would seed do okay being put into the soil used for the whole grow Like straight into end pot?

Pistils are darkening. Hopefully that’s good lol and not fungus hermungus. Ready to harvest. So I can do again with decent plan before it gets cold.

1 Like

Saw this bad boy pop up earlier this morning while on the way out the door to work :-). Gave it a quick watering, came home at the end of the day and the soil was bone dry. Gave it a good drenching and will check soil tomorrow evening to see how water retention is doing in all of this heat.

2 Likes

…hope it’s a bad girl instead ? :wink:
-best wishes

2 Likes

I’m really thinking it’s ready to harvest pistils turning red -fan leaves looking rough-trichomes have a few red here and there but not sure Friday may be the day to say enough. Uploading…
Uploading…
Uploading…
Uploading…

@Jheezy Pics didn’t load my friend. Give it another try so we can check it out :wink:

Hi @Jheezy

Your girls are looking very nice!

Now I’m a new grower, but looking at the pistils in the last 3 pics, I’d say you still have a bit of waiting to do. Many growers wait until 70% of the pistils have changed color. From all the stuff I’ve been reading lately, the last 1-2 weeks are where your plants really pack it on, and by harvesting early you can sell your harvest short. I’d love to get @Paranorman’s thoughts on how close they are to harvest.

I’m in a similar boat with grow number one right now. I know I’m really close. Plant is wonderfully stinky. Had to reach in to tend to the stalk yesterday and my arm came out completely gummed up. But I also know I’m not quite there yet either.

The waiting really is the hardest part.

1 Like

@hobbygardener I’m the last one whose opinion you want on this!

I’m driving myself crazy right now trying to figure out the same thing for myself.

I take picture after picture, snip Buds and put them under magnification take more pictures what have you !

In truth anywhere past mostly cloudy becomes personal taste in my opinion, so it’s really hard to say when ? (And I know people who prefer to harvest when it’s clear so ?)

I’ve seen people saying they’re going to start the flush in 2 weeks on plants that I would have already harvested so I guess it’s just one of those things…?

1 Like

Yeah tell me about it lol. Trying to use cheap loupe and got a sticky nose. Quick question between u and me When they say red hairs. Is that the Pistils or trichs

So would you say as trichomes more visible to naked eye on leaf I.e leaf is getting whiteish ness on it. Would that be the cloudy point? Yank when half or more pistils turn red? Sorry just so ready to get this done lol. Been planning waiting executing since last December? Seed popped in April. Really pleased with my generic Walmart soil. Next I want to start before it gets cold Drumroll please …auto ak47 in coco and perlite. Unless I told y’all already. I tend to repeat myself