Normal Plant Biology vs eggs

hey all. is anyone with some known HEALTHY plants able to take a look at the UNDERSIDES of a leaf? the tops of the leaves i know have resin glands and they’re round and off white… kinda look like eggs but they’re not. what about the under side? I do have the beginnings of spider mites but i don’t know if they’re in all of my tents yet. I am seeing some round blobs on the undersides of some leaves and don’t know if they’re eggs or normal.

thanks!

2 Likes

Need some pics to tell if you have any. Unless you’re growing a fern, there shouldn’t be anything on the underside of the leaf. Could be lots of things. Fungus, mold, spider eggs, dust mites. If you can, post a pic and you will get a good response here from someone.

2 Likes

unfortunately i can’t. my scope doesn’t meld well with my camera phone. easiest thing i can think of is to find out if there are resin glands on the bottom of the leaves. i have spider mites. just don’t know if it’s in all the tents.

1 Like

My experience is limited but I have never seen trichomes on the bottom of leaves.

The only bumps or protrusions that I have seen on the bottom were eggs of some sort or some debris that was splashed on the leaves perhaps.

2 Likes

Here’s a few pictures of the underside of my leaves at x1000 magnification if it’s any help.

2020-01-26_13-55-42-29

2020-01-26_13-54-43-70

2020-01-26_13-53-19-89

4 Likes

Checked out some dried buds last night and I did see trichs on the bottom of some of the small leaves.
However they were exactly like any other trichome with a stalk and sphere on top.
So any small round object on leaf bottoms would be worth checking closely.

2 Likes

Seems to me to be part of the leaf structure
usually eggs are laid in patches. If laid randomly there are usually insects present.

2 Likes

Eggs are laid in clutches. I’m sure insects would leave them in blobs. Im sure my picture shows the plants stomata but not 100% on that

2 Likes

If you’re going to tackle mites then fight nature using nature. I tried all sorts and it was a centipede that found it’s way into my soil that bred and wiped out my mite problem. So predatory bugs for me all the way if it happens again

2 Likes

thanks so much for posting that. very helpful. that’s pretty much what i’m seeing too, so doesn’t rule out eggs. some of those clear blobs look just like eggs. tricky little buggers.

2 Likes

spider mite eggs aren’t laid in blobs which makes them a little harder to pick out. and i’m just at the very very very start of it so there are only a few here and there.

love the idea of predatory bugs. i might consider it after a few weeks of foliar treatments, which would also wipe out the good guys.

2 Likes

I will take a few pictures of my new grow and post them later on. The reason I think those circles are stomata and not eggs is there looks like a pattern which I was seeing on each leaf I looked at. I had no mites at that point and have had none since

2 Likes

First two pictures are top and bottom of a photo period around 1 week of flower.

2020-02-12_20-15-50-51

2020-02-12_20-15-18-06

Next two are an auto that’s nearly ready for harvest. Again top and bottom. The tricomes you can see are on the bottom of the leaf. I don’t have any big leaves left on the auto so that was the biggest leaf I had. I don’t have any pests at all on this grow so 100% no eggs :sunglasses:

2020-02-12_20-11-18-77

2020-02-12_20-07-05-56

1 Like

nice, thanks. i can’t really get side shots like that so they all look like round balls top down. but i am seeing the difference now between what you’re showing and what i have. i still think they look alot like eggs, but i DO have eggs on all my plants now. and i learned what a normal leaf looks like :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your best bet is predators or possibly fogging your grow space. I tried sprays with different natural concoctions. They worked for the short term but I found even missing one mite led to another infestation. I somehow managed to get a family of centipedes living in one of my pots that bred like crazy but didn’t touch my plants. I had given up on the mites and was getting ready to nuke my tent after harvest. I harvested, did a bud wash and didn’t find a single mite, not one. I bleached my tent as a precaution, my new grow is in there just now and so far so good. As for the centipedes, they’re living there rent free for as long as they like :sunglasses:

1 Like

interesting about the centipedes. there are lots of lists of bugs and not sure i’ve seen them yet on any lists - what a great accidental find.

my plants are small enough that i’m able to hit every leaf. it’s an hour or two per night to treat. i’ll do this for a week maybe and then am considering adding some predators cuz this isn’t sustainable. but i’d never be able to use anything again or the good guys would be killed too. what do you use to treat other things like mold that won’t hurt your tenants?

No idea how the centipedes got in but sheer stroke of luck. I was going to evict them and thought bugger it, too many, will just catch them when I do the tear down. Then I had a light bulb moment and thought maybe they’re there for a reason. Theyre feeding on something, googled it and they’re predators. They now have the keys to my tent :sunglasses:. I’m lucky, I’ve never had mould. My goto as a last resort would be food grade hydrogen peroxide. I have a gallon can of 12% that I dilute and use as a bud wash. I used it on a miniature rose that had mould and seems to work ok.

1 Like

i think i may give these a go. once it warms up i’ll put some outside too. my compost bin now terrifies me as i’ve composted my defoliated leaves from my last two grows which have now both proven to be infected. love the idea of a little home protection army.

1 Like

Centipedes in the compost bin. Unleash the kraken :scream::scream::scream::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

i’m googling them. we occasionally have “house” centipedes here but i’m curious which kinds like mites. and it’s really easy here to get infestations of house centipedes so not eager to introduce those.

1 Like