Noobie. Indoor / Outdoor Grow in Foggy San Francisco

Ask @big123 : he uses moon phase.

1 Like

@big123 please help and give me advice here! thanks!!

What about putting them outside now, and transplanting into forever containers?

I would go with 30-65 gallon grow bags. Plants need at least 5 hours direct sunlight, morning sun best, south facing spot preferred.

2 Likes

Thanks @Big123 - I’ll go for it. Plan to drop them in 30 gallon bags this weekend. They’ll get close to 5 h direct light for a while, but since the backyard is small, it won’t be for too long … we’ll see how they do! Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

You’re very welcome @WeedsTookOverMyStrawberryGarden

Normal transition to flower indoors takes 2 weeks.

Taking them from your indoor cycle to outside will be the same a “flipping” from veg to flower.

So by that logic if you put them out now they will start to flower in 2 weeks. Question is now will they get confused with the 2 extra weeks before the longest day.

It depends on so many things it’s hard to say.

If you want to be cautious, I would transplant now, indoors, then once they have started looking like they are growing into their new home, go outside in a week or 2.

It’s all experimental.

3 of 4 (blueberry, bluedream and 1 or 2 Durban Poisons) were transplanted into 15 gal grow bags. I thought I had 30, but alas, they were 15. That’ll have to do and if not, I can perhaps adjust later! I plan to transplant the final tomorrow, let them recover for a couple days and then take outside in a week or so.

Before I take them outside, I’m planning on taking a couple clippings for clones to be initiated.

Here’s how they look today. blueberry is shortest and fattest bush, 1 durban poison is the tallest (left most), bluedream is right back, and smaller durban poison is front center. the short ones are 3 feet, the DB is 4 feet. All looking ok to me.

2 Likes

Photo didn’t load!

For some reason, the site isn’t letting me upload photos — they just seem to lag when I try. Might be me, but never had a problem before!

Try from your phone.

1 Like

3 Likes

So, the phone worked!

1 Like

My weird / tiny SF backyard gets most light right on top of the railing - that’s really the only spot I can hope for 5-6 h of direct light, and the closer they are to the sky, the more light they get. So, I’ve built some small brackets to fasten to the top of the railing and secure the 15 gallon grow bags. It’s windy, so I’ll plan on adding some support stakes for sure - likely fasten them directly into the custom railing mount kit so the whole bags don’t topple over! Sound good? Or call me crazy!

2 Likes

Crazy good!

First and tallest Durban poison is outside on the top deck rail. I just pruned all of them so hoping the double shock isn’t too much to handle! Fingers crossed. Watching nature for cues.

1 Like

I got over zealous pulling down some branches … see pic. One of the 4 main stalks broke and I know some folks make a manifold at this point but I’m concerned about infection outside. Any recommendations on what to do? I’ve staked the weakened stalk for now

1 Like

Looking to @AAA @big123 and anyone else on this one! Thanks I’m advance!

Also just smashed it back as tight as possible and taped to see if it will heal. We’ll see. Other option is to amputate and clone from it!

4 Likes

I just slap some honey on it and tape as you did. I have also fix a bran from a flowering plant with only tape as you did. It never showed any slow downs and was an auto

3 Likes

Honey is the call. It will be five.

Plants looking good

1 Like