Noobie. Indoor / Outdoor Grow in Foggy San Francisco

Inaugural Indoor to Outdoor(?) grow in Foggy San Francisco started from seeds back on April 1st, sprouted by April 7th and are currently just under 4 weeks of growth in 5 gallon pots in soil. I’m using an LED setup for now. I’m hoping to transfer all outside shortly - maybe this week?!

I have pruned the central stalk once on all plants.

2 Durban Poisons
1 Blue dream
1 blueberry

I have some challenges with yellowing leaves underneath and on some of the plants.

Our pH runs high here from hetch hetchy / yosemite blend (8.5 to 9.5), so I’m adjusting that with vinegar.

What do you think of the plants so far?
Should I prune more?
Any advice / encouragement would be huge!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. I will say this…get 10 to 15 gallon pots for outdoors. Blue Dream can get over 78” tall indoors. :+1:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. For out side grows. @Big123 is up north there too and does some awesome out door grows. He may be of some help for the out doors. I my self don’t prune any thing till I am in preflower. They need the fan leaves to grow. Ans blocking a little here and there is not bad in veg.
They are looking good though :+1:

4 Likes

How about we start with this? Please be as complete as possible. In particular; WHAT soil and WHAT means are you using to measure PH?

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

  • What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Myfriendis410

Here’s the log of info:

  • 2X Durban Poison, Blue Dream, Blueberry from HSB
  • Method: Soil from Garden / Bloome w/ 25-30% perlite https://www.kellogggarden.com/products/gborganics/gb-organics-potting-soil/
  • Vessels: 5 gallon Pots to 15 gallon bags (planned)
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff - 5.5-6.5
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable - n/a
  • Indoor or Outdoor: indoor start, planning to go outdoor
  • Light system: 1000w LED, 4-5h dark
  • Temps; 72-78 Day, 64-68 Night
  • Humidity; 40-50 Day, 55 Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, fan and open the grow tent as it gets too hot
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, no
  • Co2; No
2 Likes

That soil would probably work although a top-dressing of dolomite lime might be good as a PH buffer.

Look up your lat/long to find out when you have at least 10 hours of sunlight in your grow space and make sure you don’t have night lights to cause the plant to either herm or not flower. If it does go out to early it will start to flower then as the day length increases it will reveg and you have just lost 2 months.

1 Like

Thanks @Myfriendis410 and I’m thinking I’ll buffer the soil down when I go outside since the tap water is high pH (8-9 on average). Coffee grounds? Other suggestions?

Also, I’m a bit concerned that we won’t have a full 10h of direct sunlight given the backyard is small. I’d like to try the outdoor grow regardless and see what happens, unless all recommend against it! I’m guessing we have about 10AM - 4/5PM (6-7, maybe 8h) of direct light max based on watching over the past couple days.

Any other growers in SF dealing with fog and small lighted yards (25 ft x 25 ft) with 2-3 stories of buildings surrounding?

Do you have any suggestions on dialing back my indoor grow light timing (currently 18-20h of direct light) to better match the current daylight hours in SF (11.4 hours now)?

I was thinking of repotting from 5 gallon to 15 gallon bags and placing outside this week, pending feedback. I might also make a clone or two to grow in the indoor tent in the interim.

Thanks for any help!

Here are the plants as of yesterday.

3 Likes

3 Likes

In my experience you need to keep them under indoor lighting regimen until the Summer Solstice. Then every day from there your plants will receive less light per day. You could also move your light outside and have it run the 6 or so hours extra per day to mimic your indoor lighting schedule. Good luck!

3 Likes

Under your circumstances you should do just as @AAA stated. Your plants will be unhappy until you have a shortening day cycle.

Also; your climate is a VERY high risk of bud rot near harvest. If you don’t have some plan for addressing that you should not plan to put anything outside at all. In containers you can move indoors and put a dehumidifier and fans on, for example. LOTS of peroxide. This is a big problem growing in damp cool climate.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 and @AAA thanks for the input here and I’m hopeful I can keep them indoors and in 5 gal buckets until the solstice (June 22). Hoping they don’t outgrow the indoor tent by that time! Or maybe I can use some heavy pruning to setup the outdoor transition?

I plan to spray for bud rot preventatively with an oil + H202 spray on a 7 - 10 day schedule and adhere to a water only in the AM. Perhaps rotate in a b.subtilis culture spray as well, but haven’t seen any cycled applications from reading to date. Anyone have a clear preventative application plan already documented? I see many notes on treatment once the rot has begun and hoping I can prevent that in the first place.

1 Like

Straight peroxide diluted in distilled water does a good job but none is necessary until the immune system of the plant becomes compromised due to it’s stage in the life cycle (mid to late flower). I have used a bunch of different products and peroxide is the clear winner. Investing in some heavy air movement that you can leave out is good too for air movement.

I have a friend’s son who lives downtown growing DWC in his apartment and fights the humidity constantly.

Im with @Myfriendis410. I would stick to peroxide and only in mid late flower is you see issues. PM is systemic, so if you can keep our plants healthy, that is the best preventative.

Also for me, a big issue is caterpillar moths. Once they get into a bud they cause bud rot.

I spray once a week at least with Monterey BT.

For controlling height, I love super cropping and it has the added bonus of making the stems and I believe bud more robust.

1 Like

I hate those bastards.

2 Likes

The ladies are officially 1 month old, getting quite bushy and seem to be doing ok for my first grow. I’m concerned they’ll be too tall for the summer solstice outdoor transfer!

2 Likes

should have listened earlier to @Myfriendis410 on top-dressing dolomite lime … looks like its time.

2 Likes

otherwise looking fine

3 Likes

My brother ran the plant that those pots were made in: Reno NV

3 Likes

So, I’m about 4 weeks out from transferring outdoors (summer solstice) for initiating flowering and wanted some feedback on the plan.

The ladies remain in 5 gallon pots as shown and now are becoming root bound I would guess (they’ve been growing there for 6 or 7 weeks). I’m concerned if I let them go another 4 weeks, they’ll have become too root bound and potentially too big to maintain indoors during that time. I could trim them and start some clones to let the main colas become thicker in preparation for SF wind and slow their growth a bit? I could also transplant into the 15 gallon cloth grow bags, now, but they’ll get too big and heavy I"m guessing for me to transport outdoors in 4 weeks …

I could also do nothing until the solstice and see what happens!

Thanks for any feedback.

Here’s a pic of how they’re looking now.

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410, @AAA curious to get any feedback here … transplant from 5 gal to 15 gal now? or wait until the solstice when I take them outdoors? Thanks!

1 Like